Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to GU Admon Gilder!!!

Just hoping that the young guys make some big improvements over the next couple of years to renew hope that the Zags are true contenders! It’d be great to keep the sweet sixteen streak alive too!

Leader!

Would love to see his playmaking next to the shooting of Ravet and Jenkins.

A 5th year senior leader with tournament experience is the perfect bridge to the greatest Zag PG of the Mark Few era coming in a year later...

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Come on Abe spill the beans. Who we waiting on? Jenkins or nix?
    GoZags knows everything!

From Twitter:
    Jim Meehan
    ‏ @SRJimm

Admon Gilder on choosing Gonzaga: "Just the same values that I have for myself and my family, coach Few has for the entire program. It felt like a family when I was there."

Is Boogie Ellis off the table? If not will this commit discourage Boogie?
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    No. Because Boogie isn't even considering us.

We weren't even in his final Top 5 before he committed to Duke.

Welcome to the Zag family Admon.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooray4Daye&Gray View Post

A 5th year senior leader with tournament experience is the perfect bridge to the greatest Zag PG of the Mark Few era coming in a year later...
    Nigel Williams-Goss is coming back to school?

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    I’d rather have taller, stronger, experienced Gilder for this year and next year we might luck out. As it is, Harris looks really good and is improving.
    Parlez-vous français?

Quote Originally Posted by VinnyZag View Post
    Nigel Williams-Goss is coming back to school?
    Opinion - I would argue that Jalen is better today at age 17 than Nigel is today at age 24.

Fact - Jalen will play games in the NBA. A ton of them.

Opinion - I would argue that Jalen is better today at age 17 than Nigel is today at age 24.

That’s a pretty bold statement. Nigel still has plenty of time to make it to the League!

It’s a wrong statement too.

not trying to rain on anyone's parade...but gilder is coming back from a major blot clot that prevented him from playing for over a year and threatened to end his career...hopefully a non-issue moving forward but even if so it's going to take time for him to get back on track.

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    not trying to rain on anyone's parade...but gilder is coming back from a major blot clot that prevented him from playing for over a year and threatened to end his career...hopefully a non-issue moving forward but even if so it's going to take time for him to get back on track.
    You aren’t, unless you have specific information about how long he has been away from basketball-related activities, when he might be able to start them again, or the nature of any impairment(s) he might still have.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Nice... just what the doctor ordered. Should be a nice transition into the 2020 class. Would be nice to see Ravet spell him to get some time at PG.
    Welcome Admon Gilder! No pressure, but I would love to see our Zags in Spokane for next year’s NCAA tournament. If that doesn’t work out, we will just have to settle for another sweet 16 or better!

Again, welcome!
    (no pressure)
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Admon was not able to play basketball for several months with a blood clot in his arm. Here are some comments he made on twitter on April 7th:

Admon Gilder
    ‏ @hph_lilmon
    Apr 7

I want to thank everyone for their encouraging words, prayers, and overall support in my time of discomfort. It's been a long journey dealing with my health and being away from the game I love. However, my doctor was able to tell me I am now able to resume my basketball career.
    Admon Gilder
    ‏ @hph_lilmon

I am blessed to know I get a chance to re-establish myself and get back to normalcy. However, I would be remiss if I fail to say sometime God has to break us to bless us!

Admon Gilder
    ‏ @hph_lilmon
    Apr 7

With that being said, "I am not where I want to be, nor am I where I am going to be, but I thank God I am not where I use to be." Mama told me, it was a Minor Setback For A Major Comeback! Mom always knows best.
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

I spent a little time watching video of Admon Gilder. I watched a video of a five minute interview and was really impressed with his character. I think that's number one. He's a really "cool" guy with a very good personality and likes to smile and laugh.

I think the strength of his offensive game is his ability to get inside and shoot inside and finish around the basket. His size (6'4", 200 lbs) and athleticism really help him. He is NOT anything like Norvell in my opinion, and attacks the hoop much, much better. His outside shot does remind me of Kevin Pangos', but he shoots a really nice mid-range pull up jump shot. He gets up pretty high on it and has nice form. He shot 39% from behind the 3 pt line the last year he played (Junior year), which is pretty good. He shot around 110 3 pt shots during that year which is pretty good. He averaged 12.3 ppg that year which is perfect I think.

When trying to compare him to a Zag player, I would say he reminds me of Gary Bell: especially his size and athleticism. And he's 2 inches taller than Gary which allows him to score inside even better than Gary did. We all loved how Gary Bell played, and I believe we will really enjoy watching and rooting for Gilder. I'm smiling.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Radbooks, thanks for find those tweets. However, they are ambiguous about just how much he has been on the shelf. He obviously hasn't played in games, but has he been able to shoot, run and engage in basketball activities of some nature? Risk of blood clot is worse with prolonged inactivity (such as a plane flight), which would have made travel with the team more dangerous for him. Dehydration is another risk factor with clots, which makes playing in games risky. If there was also a clot in his lung that we don't know about, that obviously can be a problem and needs months to be cleared from. Other than that, and pain permitting, it seems like he should have been able to do light activities and do reps to keep his skills sharp. I suppose getting used to the speed of the game again and improving his endurance will be a hurdle.

Another comment in regards to his tweets: a trend I have been following with transfers is that he seems like a religious guy. GU seems to get a fair amount of those. His tweets seem to show more than just a passing reference to God, as some athletes are wont do. JW3 and Drew Barham were notably other transfers who are men of faith. NWG has made comments that made me think he had similar proclivities.

He was Texas HS Bball Player of Year.

Cool

Would love to see his playmaking next to the shooting of Ravet and Jenkins.
    IMO Ravet's best assets are his passing, ball handling, and court vision/awareness. That's based on one hs game in person and a few video clips, so limited sample size. But imo he's much more than a shooter; that's secondary to his other skills .

I am very excited he is joining the Zags.
    But, everything I see describes him as a shooting guard, not a point guard. Correct?
    Does he solve our point guard situation?

Quote Originally Posted by 3zagda View Post
    I am very excited he is joining the Zags.
    But, everything I see describes him as a shooting guard, not a point guard. Correct?
    Does he solve our point guard situation?
    not a pure point...more of a combo guard but capable of running the point and has experience doing so. needs another capable ball handler playing alongside him to be effective imo...which is the zag staff/system preference anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Everything I've read, it's Memphis for Boogie
    Boogie is not an option at this point. We called checked in and most importantly moved on.

Man you know I love Jalen, but NWG is something special. He could have come back and played another year at GU and played some sparing minutes in the NBA, but he choose his path that could lead him back to the NBA, if not he will make a good living overseas. Jalen at 17 is great, top 10 in the country great, but not as good as a 24 year old NWG.

Welcome to the team!

This is big time! He reminds we of a cross between Pargo and Bell. 🤪
    Go Zags!!!