Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to GU Admon Gilder!!!

Why would you want Boogie Ellis when you have the high possibility of landing Suggs in 2020? Or Nix. Or, as some are discussing on the whelping board, BOTH. Boogie was a no name recruit who emerged out of nowhere to become a top 40 player. I am convinced he got scared out of his LOI because he knows Coach K is going to recruit over him. He is not a super elite recruit. The guy only weighs 165lbs soaking wet.

I have been told Gilder is more of a combo guard. Gonzaga doesn't need another PG or CG this year unless it's a grad transfer. They need a transitional player or two. The goal is to have a very good backcourt THIS YEAR in preparation for the guys who will be coming in or likely coming in the following season.

Boogie....heading to Memphis IMO.

From what I recall, Boogie Ellis sort of came out of nowhere, when he established himself with some very hot shooting from 3-point range in the AAU circuit. I think GU offered him around that time. It seems to me that we have plenty of shooters (the possible addition of Jenkins notwithstanding).

Based on the lack of a true PG in the graduate transfers the staff is courting (unless I am forgetting somebody), I am taking this to mean for now that they are confident in what they have in hand already at PG (be it Ravet, Foster, Ayayi, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Why would you want Boogie Ellis when you have the high possibility of landing Suggs in 2020? Or Nix. Or, as some are discussing on the whelping board, BOTH. Boogie was a no name recruit who emerged out of nowhere to become a top 40 player. I am convinced he got scared out of his LOI because he knows Coach K is going to recruit over him. He is not a super elite recruit. The guy only weighs 165lbs soaking wet.

I have been told Gilder is more of a combo guard. Gonzaga doesn't need another PG or CG this year unless it's a grad transfer. They need a transitional player or two. The goal is to have a very good backcourt THIS YEAR in preparation for the guys who will be coming in or likely coming in the following season.

Boogie....heading to Memphis IMO.
    I couldn't agree more! Well stated CDC!

Gilder is a great addition to your team. I was sorry to see him leave A&M, but I can't fault him for this choice. As long as he's healthy you're getting a great player (and a great leader).

Quote Originally Posted by Texas A&M View Post
    Gilder is a great addition to your team. I was sorry to see him leave A&M, but I can't fault him for this choice. As long as he's healthy you're getting a great player (and a great leader).
    Thanks for checking in and adding this. We're thrilled to have him.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Nice of A & M to drop by! Thanks! We got lucky!

Classy post....thanks TAMU.

Here's a nice interview with Admon:

https://texags.com/s/32244/admon-gil...fer-to-gonzaga
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Thanks Rad.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by Radbooks View Post
    Here's a nice interview with Admon:

https://texags.com/s/32244/admon-gil...fer-to-gonzaga
    This video interview with Admon Gilder is an absolute MUST WATCH.

I was blown away. After seeing this, it is not only clear that Admon will absolutely be the LEADER of the Zags players next year, it is obvious that he will reach his dream of becoming a head coach some day.

Honestly, I think this video deserves its own thread. I'll let a mod that agrees make the actual move so I don't ruffle any feathers, but I can honestly say this is the most insightful look into a Gonzaga player I have ever had on the internet. And that includes listening to the 2 hour podcast with Geno last year, which was fascinating in its own way. This one is all about basketball, and Admon's journey. I promise you after watching it you will be a HUGE fan of his before his first game with us. Wait until you have 23 minutes to spare, click the link, and absolutely ENJOY.

Yeah, I really got a sense of him as a person. Very cool guy, I think. Here is another interview with KREM today:

https://www.krem.com/article/sports/...e-1dde653dc4ef
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Great video. Seems like an incredible get and a fine young man.

What an interview! Mature young man, family man, man of prayer...
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by Hooray4Daye&Gray View Post
    Opinion - I would argue that Jalen is better today at age 17 than Nigel is today at age 24.
    More like Hooray4Hyperbole.

- glad I carved out 23 minutes of my evening, as indeed a very good interview..........knowing more about the young man, I believe admon will be as impactful off the court, in practice, in the community as he will be on the court. another future and great ambassador for zagnation.

Clip after clip, Admon has shown his unique ability to post-up and score around the hoop, vs equal or smaller guards.

We haven't seen this post-up ability since Bouldin or NWG.

We got a good one; the kid is a player! He did take 6 months off yet is back on the court now.

2 min clip here, opening rd game vs Providence is a good example, yet there are other examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyaJyKKnnNE

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    Clip after clip, Admon has shown his unique ability to post-up and score around the hoop, vs equal or smaller guards.

We haven't seen this post-up ability since Bouldin or NWG.

We got a good one; the kid is a player! He did take 6 months off yet is back on the court now.

2 min clip here, opening rd game vs Providence is a good example, yet there are other examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyaJyKKnnNE
    Gilder is just terrific at attacking the basket, and has a great floater in the middle of the key which reminds me of NWG. It will be nice to have a player who can attack the basket with success. I really like his style of play a lot. And like you said, he can post up on the low post with lots of success. I think he will fill the gap that was left when Norvell departed for the NBA.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Gilder is just terrific at attacking the basket, and has a great floater in the middle of the key which reminds me of NWG. It will be nice to have a player who can attack the basket with success. I really like his style of play a lot. And like you said, he can post up on the low post with lots of success. I think he will fill the gap that was left when Norvell departed for the NBA.
    Floaters are extremely hard to hit, but for the kids that can, they're near impossible to stop. NWG had the best I'd seen in a Zag, and I didn't see a way to stop them. I think the floaters won us a game at BYU that year.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Floaters are extremely hard to hit, but for the kids that can, they're near impossible to stop. NWG had the best I'd seen in a Zag, and I didn't see a way to stop them. I think the floaters won us a game at BYU that year.
    Certainly true. Matt Santangelo also had a great floater, and won a few games for the Zags while he played.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    agree entirely, 'born. also worth noting that along with all of that, he had top ~10% or so efficiency in catch-and-shoot situations, as well. really versatile, physical, and will be a huge addition next year. i predict he'll end up a top 5 or so modern zag transfer in terms of total impact (approaching dickau/wiltjer/nwg/bc status and surpassing players like downs and mathews-- who were both excellent in their own right).

i expect that, much like bc last season, we'll realize by early december that his addition was severely underhyped for most of the offseason.

Hope you're right, dud!
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Hope you're right, dud!
    me too

And if the opponents' bigs have to help, we'll have Tillie/Petrusev/Timme open for 3!

Quote Originally Posted by Hooray4Daye&Gray View Post
    Opinion - I would argue that Jalen is better today at age 17 than Nigel is today at age 24.

Fact - Jalen will play games in the NBA. A ton of them.
    Taking a victory lap on this post from 19 months ago.

Had nothing but pushback at the time, and I’ve even seen people today hold on to the idea that Jalen isn’t far and away the best Zags PG of the Mark Few era.

Just watch. The first Gonzaga PG that brings Zag Nation its first title will get all the glory and will never be surpassed.

Ha ha, love it H4D&G. Good call!