Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 148

Thread: David Jenkins is a phenomenal shooter; dropped 35 on Memphis

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,571

    Default David Jenkins is a phenomenal shooter; dropped 35 on Memphis

    This guy can flat out shoot, like really, really well; 46% from 3 for the season which made him #30 in the entire nation. Yeah, he's an undersized sg at 6'2 tops, but Gilder can defend the 2, so they can switch on offense/defense. If he gets a waiver and is immediately eligible, the drop off from Zach to him will be non existent.


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,571

    Default


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,571

    Default

    Here's his complete game log for last season. 20 ppg at 46% shooting for a sophomore sg is ridiculous! He has the same confidence and swagger that Zach has.

    http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas.../david-jenkins

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Posts
    1,146

    Default

    Why are we starting a whole new thread on this kid?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAGzag View Post
    Why are we starting a whole new thread on this kid?
    Why not? We have one on Gilder. Thery're both visiting this weekend and both are most likely going to commit; our new starting backcourt.

  6. #6

    Default

    Do two people run Spy's account? I am soooo confused. In the Gilder thread he is saying both of these people wont have much impact, that adding Gilder and Jenkins to the current roster wont put us past the round of 32, and now here we are starting a new thread praising the kid with information that all of us who have been excited about him have been stating already?

    Jenkins is a lights out shooter. 45% from threes and hit 8 or more 3's in 3 different games this year.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Do two people run Spy's account? I am soooo confused. In the Gilder thread he is saying both of these people wont have much impact, that adding Gilder and Jenkins to the current roster wont put us past the round of 32, and now here we are starting a new thread praising the kid with information that all of us who have been excited about him have been stating already?

    Jenkins is a lights out shooter. 45% from threes and hit 8 or more 3's in 3 different games this year.
    The two ideas are not mutually exclusive. Jenkins is a flat out stud shooter and would be a major asset, but I still don't think the team makes it past the round of 32 (hope that I'm wrong). I share the same sentiment as Caldwell does though, really hope Jenkins gets the waiver exemption ala Tate Martell, and is immediately eligible. Otherwise, if he has to sit out a year, it puts us in a real bind with the stud guards that we're recruiting. Ideally, I'd like us to land Nix and Jenkins this year, but it's looking more and more like Gilder and Jenkins which may compel Nix to look elsewhere. So many moving parts. The unknown is exciting.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    491

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Do two people run Spy's account? I am soooo confused.

    Same

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Why not? We have one on Gilder. Thery're both visiting this weekend and both are most likely going to commit; our new starting backcourt.
    Both are most likely to commit? Do you have inside info on that? Caldwell I believe said he wouldn't be surprised, but that is a big difference to me! If true, that is exciting!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagssuperfan View Post
    Both are most likely to commit? Do you have inside info on that? Caldwell I believe said he wouldn't be surprised, but that is a big difference to me! If true, that is exciting!
    Only a few here truly have inside information. Spy is offering his opinion.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    Only a few here truly have inside information. Spy is offering his opinion.
    you don't know what or who I know. I've been posting on all 5 versions of this board since 1998

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    7,059

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Thanks. I don't go to the regular side as much as the whelping box.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,479

    Default

    What's this about a waiver?

    Is that even an option or the board inventing ideas on their own again, like Dom Harris' joke about reclassifying to 2019.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    9,068

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    What's this about a waiver?

    Is that even an option or the board inventing ideas on their own again, like Dom Harris' joke about reclassifying to 2019.
    Look into football waivers for same thing. It’s not a joke st all.
    21 Straight Big Dances

    11 Straight Round of 32s

    10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

    4 Elite Eights

    2017 FINAL FOUR

    2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

    The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    273

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    What's this about a waiver?

    Is that even an option or the board inventing ideas on their own again, like Dom Harris' joke about reclassifying to 2019.
    Um, what? Dom is definitely NOT "joking" about reclassifying.

    He has tweeted about it like 100 times, and his dad plainly stated that he has given his blessing for Dom to do this.

    I still don't know how all of the scholarships are going to work themselves out, though.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,180

    Default

    Seems like most of these guys coming in now or next year are going to be gone in 2 years or so.

    Hitting 8 or more threes in 8 games* last year is fantastic, as long as wasn’t shooting 20/game. I trust the staff and we could use this guy’s help.

    *edit: corrected in a later post by another poster...Actually 3 games
    Last edited by JPtheBeasta; 05-04-2019 at 08:18 AM.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,842

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Do two people run Spy's account? I am soooo confused.
    Spy is astrologically a Gemini, so the answer is yes

    As Gemini writer Walt Whitman said, or something like it (don't remember the quote word for word): "If I contradict myself, then I contradict myself. I am vast. I contain multitudes."

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Spy is astrologically a Gemini, so the answer is yes

    As Gemini writer Walt Whitman said, or something like it (don't remember the quote word for word): "If I contradict myself, then I contradict myself. I am vast. I contain multitudes."
    Very true. Like you, I grew up near Philly and Larry Andersen, the eccentric pitcher for the Phillies used to wear a t-shirt that said, "Roses are Red, Violets are Blue. I'm schizophrenic and so am I".

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    San Diego, Ca.
    Posts
    7,393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Do two people run Spy's account? I am soooo confused. In the Gilder thread he is saying both of these people wont have much impact, that adding Gilder and Jenkins to the current roster wont put us past the round of 32, and now here we are starting a new thread praising the kid with information that all of us who have been excited about him have been stating already?

    Jenkins is a lights out shooter. 45% from threes and hit 8 or more 3's in 3 different games this year.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hooray4Daye&Gray View Post
    Um, what? Dom is definitely NOT "joking" about reclassifying.

    He has tweeted about it like 100 times, and his dad plainly stated that he has given his blessing for Dom to do this.

    I still don't know how all of the scholarships are going to work themselves out, though.
    The Harris family maybe interested but the Zags want him in 2020. This would be the last resort as Dom really could use one more year of high school.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    491

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Seems like most of these guys coming in now or next year are going to be gone in 2 years or so.

    Hitting 8 or more threes in 8 games last year is fantastic, as long as wasn’t shooting 20/game. I trust the staff and we could use this guy’s help.
    He didn't do it 8 times, he did it 3 times.

    He also had 5 games with 0 or 1 made 3pt shot.

    His team's strength of schedule last year was atrocious, even by the standards of South Dakota State. Kenpom called is the 287th in the country. That's on par with Houston Baptist, Hawaii, and Texas A&M Corpus Christi. Their opponents were 324th defensively in the whole country.

    Jenkins is a good three point shooter to be sure, but the prior year at South Dakota State he shot 38% which was when their strength of schedule was 113.

    I'm not sure one can look his stats and say he's a clearly better 3pt shooter than Perkins, Norvell, or Kispert, for example. He's shorter than all 3 of those guys and playing against vastly worse defenses. If Perks, Kispert, or Norvell had been playing on the perimeter at South Dakota State U this year, especially with Daum garnering most of the attention of the other team's best defenders, it wouldn't surprise me if any of those three could have shot 7-8% better from behind the arc and matched Jenkins.
    Last edited by LTownZag; 05-04-2019 at 11:40 AM.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,180

    Default

    Read that wrong. Thanks for the clarification.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    776

    Default

    Jenkins looks to me like one of those guys who would be an All Conference player for another WCC team, but who the board would say would never start at GU.

    6'2, not especially athletic, offensive oriented shooting guards who take 8 three pointers a game don't contribute much to winning consistently at the highest levels IMO.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,076

    Default

    The most impressive stat for me is the 45% 3 point shooting percentage. That is big time. And he took 247 threes last season.

    On the other hand, when you play alongside Mike Daum, I am sure it opens up a ton of open shots. That is something you have to think about if you are Gonzaga. Daum is one of the leading scorers in the history of D-1 basketball. He could've started for any team in the nation last year. He was the FOCUS for every SDSU opponent. Does Jenkins get those shots with just some forward who averaged 12.4ppg playing beside him?

    The worry I have with Jenkins is a comment in Jeff Goodman's piece that he was quite suspect on defense. You combine that with him being a 6-2 shooting guard and not very quick, long or athletic.......

    I thought the trend with GU was to keep recruiting 6-3 to 6-5 guards. I still feel perimeter height was one of the MAJOR factors in us making the title game in 2017. All that size on the perimeter. It allows you to switch on everything and to defend the 3 point line better. If you're a small guard in the modern game, you need to be a speed demon and pesky as hell on defense.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •