Thread: David Jenkins is a phenomenal shooter; dropped 35 on Memphis

Hybrid View

Default David Jenkins is a phenomenal shooter; dropped 35 on Memphis

This guy can flat out shoot, like really, really well; 46% from 3 for the season which made him #30 in the entire nation. Yeah, he's an undersized sg at 6'2 tops, but Gilder can defend the 2, so they can switch on offense/defense. If he gets a waiver and is immediately eligible, the drop off from Zach to him will be non existent.

Here's his complete game log for last season. 20 ppg at 46% shooting for a sophomore sg is ridiculous! He has the same confidence and swagger that Zach has.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas.../david-jenkins

Why are we starting a whole new thread on this kid?

Quote Originally Posted by JAGzag View Post
    Why are we starting a whole new thread on this kid?
    Why not? We have one on Gilder. Thery're both visiting this weekend and both are most likely going to commit; our new starting backcourt.

Do two people run Spy's account? I am soooo confused. In the Gilder thread he is saying both of these people wont have much impact, that adding Gilder and Jenkins to the current roster wont put us past the round of 32, and now here we are starting a new thread praising the kid with information that all of us who have been excited about him have been stating already?

Jenkins is a lights out shooter. 45% from threes and hit 8 or more 3's in 3 different games this year.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Why not? We have one on Gilder. Thery're both visiting this weekend and both are most likely going to commit; our new starting backcourt.
    Both are most likely to commit? Do you have inside info on that? Caldwell I believe said he wouldn't be surprised, but that is a big difference to me! If true, that is exciting!

I still think itís UNLV as I think we backed off (reading between lines). I donít think grad transfers matter as Jenkins would have to sit a year anyway wherever he goes as I donít think he gets hardship waiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, it's UNLV

Jim Meehan
    ‏ @SRJimm
    16m16 minutes ago

Jim Meehan Retweeted David Jenkins Jr

South Dakota State transfer guard commits to UNLV. Jenkins had Gonzaga and Oregon as finalists. Rebels were considered frontrunner as Jenkins joins former Jackrabbits coach T.J. Otzelberger, hired by UNLV in March.
    ďWhen I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.Ē

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    I still think itís UNLV as I think we backed off (reading between lines). I donít think grad transfers matter as Jenkins would have to sit a year anyway wherever he goes as I donít think he gets hardship waiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We definitively backed off this one. Remember that grad transfers donít take away scholarships from future recruits which is why grad transfers are so in demand. With Jenkins who is not a grad transfer, there is a chance he could fill a scholarship for 3 years and with the kids we are chasing in 2020 and beyond, that is not something that was appealing to our staff. Also, keep in mind the competition Jenkins played against for the majority of his games. The stats of most transfers from the low D1 level do not translate against top competition. Iím not saying that would be the case with Jenkins but that is just the reality of most lower level D1 transfers. We saw that somewhat with Geno and I donít think the staff was comfortable with a possible 3 years of a player at that level at The possible expense of a Suggs, Burnett, Kessler, Max Christie etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagBlue View Post
    We definitively backed off this one. Remember that grad transfers don’t take away scholarships from future recruits which is why grad transfers are so in demand. With Jenkins who is not a grad transfer, there is a chance he could fill a scholarship for 3 years and with the kids we are chasing in 2020 and beyond, that is not something that was appealing to our staff. Also, keep in mind the competition Jenkins played against for the majority of his games. The stats of most transfers from the low D1 level do not translate against top competition. I’m not saying that would be the case with Jenkins but that is just the reality of most lower level D1 transfers. We saw that somewhat with Geno and I don’t think the staff was comfortable with a possible 3 years of a player at that level at The possible expense of a Suggs, Burnett, Kessler, Max Christie etc.
    Max Christie isnt a name I've seen on the boards yet. I know its early with him being a 2021 prospect, but is that someone the coaches have shown interest in or more of a personal wishlist type. Ranked top 15 by just about every scouting service. Maybe GU's new norm for targets.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    Max Christie isnt a name I've seen on the boards yet. I know its early with him being a 2021 prospect, but is that someone the coaches have shown interest in or more of a personal wishlist type. Ranked top 15 by just about every scouting service. Maybe GU's new norm for targets.
    No comment... other than I donít make a personal wishlist until the Zags show at least cursory interest You are correct though, it is very early for the 2021s.

This player seemed somewhat like a solution in search of a problem. He didn't seem to meet any pressing demands that this lineup needs, other than bench depth. Of late, it seems that when GU goes after a transfer it is for a very specific purpose; it may be myopia, but I didn't see what that was. He was interesting to me when I thought he was immediately eligible, and before Admon Gilder came aboard. I wish him all the best at UNLV.