Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Norvell Declares Part II

Purely SPECULATION on my part, but since he stated some time ago that he was all in on this, I would ASSUME that he has taken some money from an agent.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

3 of 7 then 3 for 9 from deep both in less than 20 minutes each. Sounds about like the Norvell we know. He shoots too much and too quick from deep, but when he hits, he hangs 18 points in 20 minutes... but at what cost? I dont see a team wanting to spend money on that but what do I know.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan1 View Post
    Wish he did that in the Texas Tech game
    U betcha......and for most of the 2d half of the season.........it was pointed out to me by an "insider" on this board that ZN just didn't want to be the focus of next year's team.....kinda, counterintuitive, but who knows with these kids. he'll probably do well overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    3 of 7 then 3 for 9 from deep both in less than 20 minutes each. Sounds about like the Norvell we know. He shoots too much and too quick from deep, but when he hits, he hangs 18 points in 20 minutes... but at what cost? I dont see a team wanting to spend money on that but what do I know.
    Have you watched any NBA games lately? It has devolved into ill-advised three after ill-advised three. It has literally become one-dimensional... drive, kick out for a 3... almost every single trip down the court.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Have you watched any NBA games lately? It has devolved into ill-advised three after ill-advised three. It has literally become one-dimensional... drive, kick out for a 3... almost every single trip down the court.
    Long range bombers like Zach will be in demand when the NBA adds a 4 point line.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Yep. Almost nothing is considered a “bad” shot.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    Yep. Almost nothing is considered a “bad” shot.
    Yeah who needs that 65-70% 2 pointer when you can take a 35% 3-pt shot.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

ZN certainly "went for it" with his shooting under the "shooters shoot" philosophy while at Gonzaga. He's now equally all in with his intent to be drafted and play in the NBA. I think all these criticisms of his game are fair and based on evidence and obvious observations, but the proof is ultimately in the pudding. Will he get drafted? Will he play minutes in the NBA next season? Will he work his way up from a D-League team? Will he sign for one million-plus dollars? Once we get the answers to these questions, I think we'll be able to fairly judge his decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    3 of 7 from the 3 point line is equal to shooting 64% on two-pointers, and going 3 of 9 on 3-pointers is like shooting 50%. Assuming I did the math right, that’s pretty good. I get your point, though, as he does have a quick trigger, and going 2 for 9 or 1 for 9 is a buzzkill.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    3 of 7 from the 3 point line is equal to shooting 64% on two-pointers, and going 3 of 9 on 3-pointers is like shooting 50%. Assuming I did the math right, that’s pretty good. I get your point, though, as he does have a quick trigger, and going 2 for 9 or 1 for 9 is a buzzkill.
    True. But there are qualitative elements. Shooting 3s doesn’t lend itself to picking up fouls (or shooting ft) and it results in more transition opportunities for opposing teams.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    True. But there are qualitative elements. Shooting 3s doesn’t lend itself to picking up fouls (or shooting ft) and it results in more transition opportunities for opposing teams.
    Good point. I agree that there are bad threes. Even great shooters like Steph Curry and James Harden take them, in my opinion. Norvell seemed to get better with his shot selection, and I have a feeling NBA veterans will help in this aspect of his development more than a coach could

(Aside from maybe Greg Poppovich; that man would scare me).

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan1 View Post
    Wish he did that in the Texas Tech game
    they played 'd' in the TT game, or whatever that was.

the shooting looks fine, but 9 TOs in 40 minutes not so much. we'll see

Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    they played 'd' in the TT game, or whatever that was.

the shooting looks fine, but 9 TOs in 40 minutes not so much. we'll see
    Steph Curry is not just a 3 pt shooter. He can drive and pass and get steals and rebound (if coach wants him to). He runs his his legs off finding good shooting spots.
    Parlez-vous français?

Quote Originally Posted by Mantua View Post
    Steph Curry is not just a 3 pt shooter. He can drive and pass and get steals and rebound (if coach wants him to). He runs his his legs off finding good shooting spots.
    Ammo would have fit in well on this team...pre-injuries, of course.

cool. I wasn't talking about Curry and don't get the connection to my post about Zach, nor the comparison of Zach to Curry. Can you connect those dots for me please?

Curry great in the NBA, weird how international teams have picked on him defensively over the years rather successfully

Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    cool. I wasn't talking about Curry and don't get the connection to my post about Zach, nor the comparison of Zach to Curry. Can you connect those dots for me please?

Curry great in the NBA, weird how international teams have picked on him defensively over the years rather successfully
    It’s weird to me that the names of NBA elites have popped up in the current draft discussions as if there are comparisons to be made.
    Parlez-vous français?

It’s weird to me that the names of NBA elites have popped up in the current draft discussions as if there are comparisons to be made.
    gotcha, and with you

Honestly, I halfway expected an announcement that Norvell would be coming back too. Isn’t today the last day for him to make that decision?

Yep.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

From DeCourcy at TSN, on 7 underclassmen who made the biggest mistakes by staying in:

"It's hard to understand what Norvell is thinking...….

He shot 37% (on threes) on 97 makes as a soph. With his size and a slight improvement in consistency, he would have been a solid first round prospect after next season. He also would have had the opportunity to be the Zags' primary star next year...……."

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa...g1a63lnmrppokk

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    From DeCourcy at TSN, on 7 underclassmen who made the biggest mistakes by staying in:

"It's hard to understand what Norvell is thinking...….

He shot 37% (on threes) on 97 makes as a soph. With his size and a slight improvement in consistency, he would have been a solid first round prospect after next season. He also would have had the opportunity to be the Zags' primary star next year...……."

Not even a 2nd rounder. Who is the hel* was advising Norvell? He'll be left out. He could be positioned sooo much better if he stick around and gets his shooting even out. Take work....here or somewhere. Here though, he'd be featured so everyone who determines his future would be seeing him. Not so elsewhere.....G League at best. I really like this kid. I hate his choices.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Not even a 2nd rounder. Who is the hel* was advising Norvell? He'll be left out. He could be positioned sooo much better if he stick around and gets his shooting even out. Take work....here or somewhere. Here though, he'd be featured so everyone who determines his future would be seeing him. Not so elsewhere.....G League at best. I really like this kid. I hate his choices.
    I think he was advising for himself honestly. He wanted cash, which is fine. He’ll be set whether or not he makes it into the NBA.
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Sean Cunningham

Verified account

@SeanCunningham
    40m40 minutes ago
    More
    Saturday’s Kings pre-draft workout in Sacramento:

Frankie Ferrari (G – 6’1” San Francisco)

Josh Perkins (G – 6’3” Gonzaga)

Zach Norvell (G – 6’5.5” Gonzaga)

Charlie Brown (G – 6’7” St. Joseph’s)

Dewan Hernandez (F – 6’10” Miami)

Sacha Killeya-Jones (F – 6’11” Kentucky)

Perk is gonna have a chance. Keep ball moving.....no ball stoppers....Billups..leader
    Think Big. No think Bigger than that!