Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Norvell Declares Part II

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    I don’t think our guy is presently is the same zip code as Klay. He might turn out that way but now? Nah. Good luck to him!
    Of course not, Klay is a veteran NBA player with 3 rings, that wasn't the point of my post.

My point was that stat wise, skill wise, and athletically he is very similar to Klay Thompson when Thompson was coming out of college.

Quote Originally Posted by Skimhvn View Post
    I see Eric Gordon than Klay in him, and Norvell has a better shooting form.
    Gordan is freakishly athletic with 40 inch vertical and really quick off the drbble. Dont see much similarity between he and Zorvell

Quote Originally Posted by Unbiased View Post
    Zach might make the NBA but he's not 6-6. Not even close.
    we will know for sure next week when he gets measured at the combine. Im thinking 6'5 1/2 in shoes, 6-4 without

Quote Originally Posted by MileHigh View Post
    Of course not, Klay is a veteran NBA player with 3 rings, that wasn't the point of my post.

My point was that stat wise, skill wise, and athletically he is very similar to Klay Thompson when Thompson was coming out of college.
    Even at the same stage. We’ll see. I’m really interested to see how he does..

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post

Zach is a better interior scorer than Klay was, better at driving.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    Problem is, he rarely drove it.

When he did, he was usually terrific.

Norvell never fully utilized his all around game or size imo.

Still a great player who could score in bunches, or with the best of them, yet really wish he would have taken to the rim more.

Its precisely what we needed in that Elite 8 vs that physical defense. Relied far too often on the 25' jump shot.

I see Zach Norvell as the next Eric Gordon.

Fearless shooter, but not a great one. Gordon is a career 37% 3pt shooter, yet makes them in bunches.

Also, Gordon is a scorer at every level. He can go cold as ice yet heat up when needed most or team needs to rally.

Gordon is a legit 6'4", 210 lb SG who isn't jumping out of the gym yet strong, explosive, and fearless.

A player you love and adore, yet cringe worthy decisions and shots some games/moments. He comes off the bench occasionally, starts others, yet still can scorer 15 pts in 5 mins, or go 2-11 in 5 mins too.

He loves the 3pt line yet is an effective dribble drive guy too.

I've always thought of Gordon as Norvell's NBA fit/comparison.

The obvious comparison is Michael Redd down to : position, shooting hand, playing style, swagger, confidence when on fire, outside game heavily first then inside game, questionable defence at the next level, where he’ll be drafted, first option is a shooter and scorer.

Do you want me to go on ?

I wish he stayed another year to develop his game at the next level , and guarantee more money as a fringe lottery -sure fire 1st rounder that I envisioned from the first videos I saw of him upon declaring. Of course, it’s his dream. Not ours. I just seem to see his path more clearly than say my take on B Clarke and others prior to him.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianZagsFan View Post
    The obvious comparison is Michael Redd down to : position, shooting hand, playing style, swagger, confidence when on fire, outside game heavily first then inside game, questionable defence at the next level, where he’ll be drafted, first option is a shooter and scorer.

Do you want me to go on ?

I wish he stayed another year to develop his game at the next level , and guarantee more money as a fringe lottery -sure fire 1st rounder that I envisioned from the first videos I saw of him upon declaring. Of course, it’s his dream. Not ours. I just seem to see his path more clearly than say my take on B Clarke and others prior to him.
    I like the Michael Redd comparison. Redd was one of the best 3 point shooters in the NBA from 23 feet, buy was only 30% in college from the 19 foot line. Just goes to show that players can drastically improve their 3 point shooting once they are in the League.

In my opinion ( and those advising Zach) another year in college wont help his draft position, and might hurt it (year older). His lack of explosiveness is what is keeping him out of the first round as a shooting guard, and that wont change after another year in college. Teams will draft him in second round with hopes that he will be a 40% + shooter from NBA range that can stretch the floor and will be able to defend his position well enough to not be a defensive liability.

Something that is being missed that it is big for the evolution of the program for this draft. If Zach gets drafted that would be at least three and possibly four players drafted. That is BIG for the future of recruiting. I wish nothing but the best for Norvell and he is and always be part of the history and lore of the Zag narrative, but f he gets drafted it will add a huge feather in the program as the largest number of players drafted.

People are treating Zach's opportunity to fulfill his Basketball dreams as like he was breaking up with the Zags when his being drafted will be such a great thing for the program in general. Don't take personally, but celebrate as the best for the program is yet to come and Zach is always part of the family.
    ----
    Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

Quote Originally Posted by titopoet View Post
    Something that is being missed that it is big for the evolution of the program for this draft. If Zach gets drafted that would be at least three and possibly four players drafted. That is BIG for the future of recruiting. I wish nothing but the best for Norvell and he is and always be part of the history and lore of the Zag narrative, but f he gets drafted it will add a huge feather in the program as the largest number of players drafted.

People are treating Zach's opportunity to fulfill his Basketball dreams as like he was breaking up with the Zags when his being drafted will be such a great thing for the program in general. Don't take personally, but celebrate as the best for the program is yet to come and Zach is always part of the family.
    +1

Well stated.

BTW - I don't think Zach would be making a definitive statement if he didn't have knowledge of some sort of guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    +1

Well stated.

BTW - I don't think Zach would be making a definitive statement if he didn't have knowledge of some sort of guarantee.
    Those "we will take you if you are available" guarantees are pretty worthless, and any agent worth his salt knows that and communicates it to his client. A lot of players in both football and basketball have been sadly disappointed when the team that said "you are our guy" passes on them in the draft. It's a business and these kids often find out the hard way.

Zach has been given solid advice on what the worse case scenario is for him if he stays in the draft, what the best is, and what they think is most likely. Based on that info, he is staying in the draft. No guarantees involved at all.

Sometimes in life you just have to bet on yourself.

if he lands somewhere, where that is will matter seems to me. will he be playing opposite Steph Curry? believe that has helped Klay tremendously, since we're comparing Zach's game to Klay's.

agree with amaronizag in that Zach making it will depend in no small part on his ability to defend elite perimeter players, at least kind of defend them, unless he becomes Klay with his 3 point shot, too

Quote Originally Posted by MileHigh View Post
    Those "we will take you if you are available" guarantees are pretty worthless, and any agent worth his salt knows that and communicates it to his client. A lot of players in both football and basketball have been sadly disappointed when the team that said "you are our guy" passes on them in the draft. It's a business and these kids often find out the hard way.

Zach has been given solid advice on what the worse case scenario is for him if he stays in the draft, what the best is, and what they think is most likely. Based on that info, he is staying in the draft. No guarantees involved at all.

Sometimes in life you just have to bet on yourself.
    Yes you do... well put MileHigh

He has always bet on himself and he had good numbers this past year. I think it was the right move even though I didn't originally. Hopefully he goes to a team with a good development program and a history of promoting second round picks up from the G League. He'd be a great (and salary cap efficient) back up option off the bench for many teams.

Most of us agree that Zach should do what is best for Zach and we wish him the best of luck wherever he goes. He will always be a Zag and a member of the Zag family.

What I don't understand is the insistence by some posters that Zach "will not" or "could not" improve his draft position by staying another year. Outside of an injury, there are way to many variables involved to be making this kind of definitive statement.

Yes Zach, like all other players, is somewhat limited by his physical abilities, but to say that by spending another year at Gonzaga he definitively could not improve his on ball defense, improve his ball handling ability, show a greater tendency to take the ball to the hoop, or even improve his shooting percentages seem to be a bit shortsighted.

Not saying that he should stay another year at GU, or that it would be more beneficial (financial or otherwise) to spend another year at Gonzaga. Also not saying that he would not receive better coaching by going into the NBA, G-League or Europe than he would by staying at Gonzaga. Just saying that those who say he would not improve his draft position by staying another year, are, IMO, are providing a total disservice to the excellent coaching staff at Gonzaga and to Zach himself.

Zach most certainly would improve by staying another year at Gonzaga. Whether the amount of improvement would result in a better financial position, is up for debate.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    if he lands somewhere, where that is will matter seems to me. will he be playing opposite Steph Curry? believe that has helped Klay tremendously, since we're comparing Zach's game to Klay's.

agree with amaronizag in that Zach making it will depend in no small part on his ability to defend elite perimeter players, at least kind of defend them, unless he becomes Klay with his 3 point shot, too
    If you look at it, Steph became Steph when Draymond was added. So there is that
    Think Big. No think Bigger than that!

Quote Originally Posted by Vanzagger View Post
    I think Steph became Steph when his major ankle problems lessened. He was Steph in college well before Draymond was in his life. Norvell has the goods he just needs to put it together. He's one of my favorite players. No fear. Good luck to him and all the other Zags that move on!!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Vanzagger View Post
    If that wasn't Steph that torched the Zags, WHO WAS THAT MASKED MAN??!!??!

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    If that wasn't Steph that torched the Zags, WHO WAS THAT MASKED MAN??!!??!
    We have the somewhat dubious distinction of having been torched by both Steph and Draymond.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    We have the somewhat dubious distinction of having been torched by both Steph and Draymond.
    Didn't Klay do it as well?
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Default Looney

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    But Looney never got us I think the Zags beat his UCLA team twice that year.

Zags beat Durant in 2006, Klay 2 out of 3 times,

A Gonzaga all opponent team would include many NBA greats......including some Hall of Fame Players like Elgin Baylor....

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    I remember the game when Steven shut him down

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/200...s-in-the-road/

and interesting to note that Klay was told he needed to work on his handles back then. sound familiar?

Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    I think Draymond bounced in a three that really cost us, but that memory is hazy.

Mr Gray had a really good game scoring in that Davidson game, if I recall.