Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Norvell Declares Part II

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    I just cannot see how Norvell makes the league. Ballhandling is iffy and his defense is average (with luck). Shooting is average even though he's hit some big shots in his 2 years at GU. I just want the best for these kids.
    he's got a couple things going for him that some of his competition doesn't: he has nba size + has proven he can shoot from nba range (while closely guarded at that).

Hey, if he can get himself that guaranteed deal, that's hard to pass up. Best wishes to him!
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    he's got a couple things going for him that some of his competition doesn't: he has nba size + has proven he can shoot from nba range (while closely guarded at that).
    And he gets his shot off very quickly. That’s huge. Good shooters which have a long release generally do not transition well to the next level. Zach represents the opposite of that.

I just cannot see how Norvell makes the league. Ballhandling is iffy and his defense is average (with luck). Shooting is average even though he's hit some big shots in his 2 years at GU. I just want the best for these kids.
    37% on 7 attempts a game is much better than average. The league needs guys who can stretch the floor. His defense is what will make or break him. If he can guard the 2/3 positions and adequately defend the pick and roll when he's put in it, he will have a long NBA career. He's never going to be asked to be a playmaker at the NBA level, but what he can be is a solid positional defender and good shooter. Literally every team in the league is looking for as many of those guys as they can. Rui has a much much higher ceiling than Zack but I honestly think Zack has a better floor. Rui has the possibility to be out of the league in 3 years if he's just a midrange shooter that doesn't have much playmaking, doesn't stretch the floor, and doesn't play particularly great defense.

Even though Klay Thompson ended up being a lottery pick, I think Norvell is very, very similar talent-wise to Klay Thompson coming out of college. Both 6-6 and around 38% career 3 pt shooters in college. Neither real athletic, but have long arms. Both quick release shots with unlimited range. Neither handled the ball well enough to play the point. Both were OK, but not great defenders in college.

NBA game is all about the 3 ball now, even with the bigs. If a guy is a +shooter they will overlook a few warts. Also, you have to factor in Norvell's shot selection when looking at his shooting %. Seems like every game he took one or two "no hope" three attempts. IMO, If he doesn't take those heat check shots he shoots over 40%.

I predict he will go early to middle second round

Sounds like someone gave him a guarantee... Best of luck Snacks!
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Sounds like someone gave him a guarantee... Best of luck Snacks!
    +1

I would love to have him back.

Lets not forget what we are supposed to go to college for, though, and that is to become a professional. Zach is doing just that.

Quote Originally Posted by MileHigh View Post
    Even though Klay Thompson ended up being a lottery pick, I think Norvell is very, very similar talent-wise to Klay Thompson coming out of college. Both 6-6 and around 38% career 3 pt shooters in college. Neither real athletic, but have long arms. Both quick release shots with unlimited range. Neither handled the ball well enough to play the point. Both were OK, but not great defenders in college.

NBA game is all about the 3 ball now, even with the bigs. If a guy is a +shooter they will overlook a few warts. Also, you have to factor in Norvell's shot selection when looking at his shooting %. Seems like every game he took one or two "no hope" three attempts. IMO, If he doesn't take those heat check shots he shoots over 40%.

Norvell is not at the same level Klay was coming out of college. Not saying Norvell can't carve a role in the NBA but Klay was a better shooter, more consistent, and more athletic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    Norvell is not at the same level Klay was coming out of college. Not saying Norvell can't carve a role in the NBA but Klay was a better shooter, more consistent, and more athletic.
    Norvell's stats compare pretty favorably with Klay's, particular given that Zach was not the primary scorer that Klay was. Comparisons are not that much of a stretch.

Zach is a better interior scorer than Klay was, better at driving.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    You're right and Mile isn't saying he's at the same level as Klay, hence the reason he predicted Norvell going in the second round while Klay was a lottery pick. A poor man's Klay Thompson is still a hot commodity in the NBA right now. Norvell's numbers really aren't that far off Klay though if you go and look. Klay is more athletic than Norvell though, no doubt about that.

I think Norvell's defense has been way understated on this board. He has his hands into a lot of plays, gets a lot of deflections, gets some steals, has a nose for the ball and chases rebounds all over the floor from way out of his position. His rebounding is above average for his height and position. I agree that his handles are a bit loose, but his 3pt % is above average and he can finish in the paint. As I said when he came to GU, he reminds me of Victor Olidipo (spelling?) in a lot of ways. I think he has a good motor and will contribute for several years in the league. It was a pleasure to watch you play at GU Snacks!! Best of luck and thanks for the memories!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bouldin4Prez View Post
    37% on 7 attempts a game is much better than average. The league needs guys who can stretch the floor. His defense is what will make or break him. If he can guard the 2/3 positions and adequately defend the pick and roll when he's put in it, he will have a long NBA career. He's never going to be asked to be a playmaker at the NBA level, but what he can be is a solid positional defender and good shooter. Literally every team in the league is looking for as many of those guys as they can. Rui has a much much higher ceiling than Zack but I honestly think Zack has a better floor. Rui has the possibility to be out of the league in 3 years if he's just a midrange shooter that doesn't have much playmaking, doesn't stretch the floor, and doesn't play particularly great defense.
    Wow. Disagree strongly on Rui. His shot mechanics are really really sound. After a couple of years training with the best skill development guys on the planet he will be able to shoot the 3 ball well enough to thrive in the NBA. He is quicker than most PF's in the NBA and stronger than most SF's. I really think he is a cant miss type player (at least in terms of a 10 year career as a contributor)

Agree 100% on Norvell. His game transfers well to the modern NBA

Wow. Disagree strongly on Rui. His shot mechanics are really really sound. After a couple of years training with the best skill development guys on the planet he will be able to shoot the 3 ball well enough to thrive in the NBA. He is quicker than most PF's in the NBA and stronger than most SF's. I really think he is a cant miss type player (at least in terms of a 10 year career as a contributor)

Agree 100% on Norvell. His game transfers well to the modern NBA
    I'm not saying that scenario does happen with Rui, just saying that he will need to grow a lot to be a solid NBA contributor. Stretching his range to the NBA 3 point line will be crucial for him. The faster he does this, the faster he's going to do well at the next level.

Rui shot 41.7% from 3 this year -- took 36 and made 15 ---- not a huge sample --- not sure how that translates long term to the NBA-- but he can hit a 3 when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bouldin4Prez View Post
    . Klay is more athletic than Norvell though, no doubt about that.
    Klay Thomson is well below average as an athlete at the NBA level. His 6-10 wingspan makes up for his lack of hops. At the NBA combine his vert was a 31.5 which was 44th out of the 50 players measured. While Norvell is similarly vertically challenged, I bet he measures out similar to Thompson in athleticism at the combine next week

https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-draft-c...ticism-testing

I'm hoping this works and well for Norvell and maybe someone gave him a guarantee. He's obviously more in the trenches to know what's going on, and it's clearly Norvell's decision to make. However, message boards are for opinions, so mine is (absent a guarantee) I don't see the point to declare as a 2nd round pick with two years of eligibility left. I understand he's 21. That does play into it. I also understood NWG leaving with eligibility left and a likely late draft choice. However, unlike NWG, it seems Norvell would have had a good chance next year to take on a different role and show growth in his game, leadership, and as the primary offensive option. I don't see him as a 21 year old that "is what they are" with no real potential to move up the draft boards. On the other hand, he can move up in workouts etc. between now and the draft, and there's nothing that says he can't keep improving his game outside of the NCAA structure. I wish him the best and enjoyed his time at GU.

Klay Thomson is well below average as an athlete at the NBA level. His 6-10 wingspan makes up for his lack of hops. At the NBA combine his vert was a 31.5 which was 44th out of the 50 players measured. While Norvell is similarly vertically challenged, I bet he measures out similar to Thompson in athleticism at the combine next week

https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-draft-c...ticism-testing
    I guess Klay is just taller and longer as you pointed out earlier, because it feels like a real struggle for Norvell to dunk anything other than a run out whereas Klay has always been able to dunk in traffic. Realistically, the main two things for Norvell is if he's able to keep up laterally and has good length for his size. Those two traits will go a long ways for him.

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    I'm hoping this works and well for Norvell and maybe someone gave him a guarantee. He's obviously more in the trenches to know what's going on, and it's clearly Norvell's decision to make.
    He just worked out for the Atlanta Hawks who have 3 second round picks.

I don't want to jump the gun or anything but I suspect this 100% news coming out following those workouts is a reasonable sign an assurance is just what he has.

Klay’s coach, Jackson, said Klay was the best 2 guard in the world and that it was not close. So the 31.5 vert is probably under selling it a bit as far as a complete athlete.

That was 5 years ago of course

I think GS could use any of our Zags right about now
    Think Big. No think Bigger than that!

Hoping the best for snacks and he makes the league. If he can go in the top half of the second round there is a good chance that he can stick on a NBA roster and not have to play G league ball.

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    I'm hoping this works and well for Norvell and maybe someone gave him a guarantee. He's obviously more in the trenches to know what's going on, and it's clearly Norvell's decision to make. However, message boards are for opinions, so mine is (absent a guarantee) I don't see the point to declare as a 2nd round pick with two years of eligibility left. I understand he's 21. That does play into it. I also understood NWG leaving with eligibility left and a likely late draft choice. However, unlike NWG, it seems Norvell would have had a good chance next year to take on a different role and show growth in his game, leadership, and as the primary offensive option. I don't see him as a 21 year old that "is what they are" with no real potential to move up the draft boards. On the other hand, he can move up in workouts etc. between now and the draft, and there's nothing that says he can't keep improving his game outside of the NCAA structure. I wish him the best and enjoyed his time at GU.
    Not all of these decisions are 100% basketball related.

Good comparison
    I am working on being a more all around square.

Zach might make the NBA but he's not 6-6. Not even close.

I don’t think our guy is presently is the same zip code as Klay. He might turn out that way but now? Nah. Good luck to him!

I see Eric Gordon than Klay in him, and Norvell has a better shooting form.
    Japanese fan