• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bogozags
    Zag for Life
    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    Most of us agree that Zach should do what is best for Zach and we wish him the best of luck wherever he goes. He will always be a Zag and a member of the Zag family.

What I don't understand is the insistence by some posters that Zach "will not" or "could not" improve his draft position by staying another year. Outside of an injury, there are way to many variables involved to be making this kind of definitive statement.

Yes Zach, like all other players, is somewhat limited by his physical abilities, but to say that by spending another year at Gonzaga he definitively could not improve his on ball defense, improve his ball handling ability, show a greater tendency to take the ball to the hoop, or even improve his shooting percentages seem to be a bit shortsighted.

Not saying that he should stay another year at GU, or that it would be more beneficial (financial or otherwise) to spend another year at Gonzaga. Also not saying that he would not receive better coaching by going into the NBA, G-League or Europe than he would by staying at Gonzaga. Just saying that those who say he would not improve his draft position by staying another year, are, IMO, are providing a total disservice to the excellent coaching staff at Gonzaga and to Zach himself.

Zach most certainly would improve by staying another year at Gonzaga. Whether the amount of improvement would result in a better financial position, is up for debate.

ZagDad
    Completely agree...one more year wouldn't hurt but wish him the very best and if he does get drafted, then those NBA assistants will work him until he reaches the point where his natural abilities are maximized. Another Clay, well it could be possible...who would have thought Clay would become such an integral part of the Warriors or any NBA team!

Oh, Draymond just didn't hit one three, he actually was unstoppable when he played us at GU.

Comment

• Mr Vulture
      Zag for Life
      • May 2008

Originally posted by Bogozags View Post
      Completely agree...one more year wouldn't hurt but wish him the very best and if he does get drafted, then those NBA assistants will work him until he reaches the point where his natural abilities are maximized. Another Clay, well it could be possible...who would have thought Clay would become such an integral part of the Warriors or any NBA team!

Oh, Draymond just didn't hit one three, he actually was unstoppable when he played us at GU.
      Klay was an excellent player and lottery pick so many thought he'd be an integral part of an NBA team. I think Klay is being drastically underrated for what he was coming out. I don't see Norvell's game as all that similar to the game of Klay either. For me, a comp I think of is CJ McCollum. I think that Norvell can be a very good rotational guy in the NBA for many years and maybe a starter if he reaches his ceiling. I hope he goes to a good situation where he will be able to play. I really think he gets drafted and I think it may be earlier than some expect (thinking first half of the second round).

Comment

• bartruff1
        Zag for Life
        • Jan 2010

It seems intuitively obvious that if Zack is practicing with and playing against players who are or have the potential to play in the NBA.....

Under the guidance of a NBA coach with the objectives of teaching him the NBA game and grooming him for that opportunity.... and reporting his progress to a team that has a interest in him...…

Plus the fact that he can concentrate on that objective without the demands of being a college student.... he will greatly increase his chances....

As opposed to another year of college basketball...…

And he will be getting paid !...

You can always go to college....I have been going to college off and on since 1957 and expect to get another degree in a couple years or less.
        Last edited by bartruff1; 05-16-2019, 11:18 AM.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
          Zag for Life
          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by webspinnre View Post
          I was recalling it situationally. I can look up Draymond’s stats from that game as well as the next guy. Thanks, though.

Comment

• DZ
            Zag for Life
            • Sep 2007

Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
            I was recalling it situationally. I can look up Draymond’s stats from that game as well as the next guy. Thanks, though.
            I happened to be at that game (lucky?) and - yes - he looked like a future NBA star in that game. He was not only a "man" in build, he could not miss, not from 3, and damn sure not from near the hoop. He was literally unstoppable that game.
            Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
            Mark Twain.

Comment

• Zagdawg
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                Zag for Life
                • Oct 2008

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
                I happened to be at that game (lucky?) and - yes - he looked like a future NBA star in that game. He was not only a "man" in build, he could not miss, not from 3, and damn sure not from near the hoop. He was literally unstoppable that game.
                I was so excited for that game and definitely learned the hard way who Draymond was

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                  Zag for Life
                  • Oct 2008

This was more snarky than it should have been. I apologize, Webspinnre. I think I’m in stats burn-out.

Comment

• Zagdawg
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Sam M

@sammazz3
                    Follow Follow @sammazz3
                    More
                    Top 5 prospects for me who played in the combine scrimmages were IMO roughly:
                    1. Grant Williams
                    2. Jalen Lecque
                    3. Zach Norvell
                    4. Brian Bowen
                    5. Tremont Waters

Weighted more towards combine performance but I still used some of my opinion from prior.

Comment

• webspinnre
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

This was more snarky than it should have been. I apologize, Webspinnre. I think I’m in stats burn-out.
                      No worries. I remember thinking, "We can't stop this guy!"
                      I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• Mantua
                        Zag for Life
                        • Mar 2007

Draymond has an unusual skill set and is an unusually versatile player. He has great court vision. He’s a physical nightmare. His stats often don’t reflect the impact he has on a game.

I can’t see a comparison between Zach and Klay unless Zach can add an awful lot of muscle in the next few years. Klay developed into an elite defender after his WSU years. I’m wondering if Zach is thinking that his overall development will be accelerated faster and that he can better his game in the NBA rather than at GU.
                        Bonjour tristesse.

Comment

• bartruff1
                          Zag for Life
                          • Jan 2010

Neither can Portland.....

Comment

• Mr Vulture
                            Zag for Life
                            • May 2008

Can we talk about Norvell and the draft by chance?

Comment

• webspinnre
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Mr Vulture View Post
                              Can we talk about Norvell and the draft by chance?
                              Nope, definitely not!

But seriously, all indications are that Zach is showing himself well and putting himself in a good position.
                              I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• bartruff1
                                Zag for Life
                                • Jan 2010

Well if Zack ends up with the Cavs he should know that it is against the law in Ohio to get a fish drunk....even if the fish is 21....

Comment

Working...
                                X