Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Seth's take on NCAA Investigation

It's illegal and all involved are guilty. The ones potentially hurt the most are the kids, even though they go into it with eyes wide open. They are being used and tempted into doing the wrong thing. I think their punishment upon getting drafted into the NBA should be paying big fines that go back to school systems in the poorest communities. AND also require the offenders to complete many hours of community service using their story to tell other impressionable youth in schools and basketball programs to stay in school, stay on the right path, and not be tempted by big $$$ from selling drugs, joining gangs, or other illicit schemes that will ruin their lives. Require them to use their star status for good instead of just squandering all of their money without helping others. Maybe the whole process can be made legal with the requirement that part of the money and community service is earmarked for the things I mentioned even though there is no longer a crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    This whole case is based on the sleaze factor.

The Feds are claiming schools like Kansas and Arizona are somehow being defrauded by these kids attending them while coaches/handlers are paying the kids to attend.

its a farce..exhibit A...Miller
    Farce is the perfect word. Shamockery is another.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Farce is the perfect word. Shamockery is another.
    Where do you draw the line?

If a 19 yr old kills some one, do you let him off because of his youth and because other kids are doing it?

How about if he's selling drugs, pimping?

Where do you draw the line? The law was clearly broken. A head in the sand approach does no one any good, but that is what you are advocating.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post

If a 19 yr old kills some one, do you let him off because of his youth and because other kids are doing it?

Where do you draw the line? The law was clearly broken. A head in the sand approach does no one any good, but that is what you are advocating.
    The Dallas DA recently announced that he will stop prosecuting minor crimes, to include shoplifting under $750. I'm sure small business owners like willandi don't appreciate this action.

You can expect Walmart and other retailers to start putting baby formula under lock and key...oops, they already do.

FARCE

The victim of this fraud conspiracy, according to prosecutors? Kansas, a school with one of the wealthiest college basketball programs in the country, whose coach makes nearly $5 million annually to oversee an amateur team that is regularly one of the star attractions in the Big 12 Conference (which has packaged basketball and football television rights to help generate $371 million in annual revenue) and in the NCAA tournament (which generates more than $850 million for the NCAA and member schools each year).
    The mother was not charged with a crime, but according to experts familiar with federal investigations, she probably will be threatened with the prospect of arrest by prosecutors, if she hasn’t been already, as they seek her testimony against Adidas officials.
    “When you have a system that generates billions of dollars in revenue and you have an unpaid labor force, you’re going to breed a black market,” Jackson said. “That’s just a fact.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.8ea5e1ac4862

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post

What are you going on about? Zagceo and I were saying that college hoops is a farce and sham. The whole system is corrupt.

I like some of the comments underneath Seth's tweet:

Jason Reid Franklin‏ @realcookingbear · Apr 30
    Replying to @SethDavisHoops

This is the most “ I really want to keep my exclusive interviews with top coaches” tweet of all time.
    Jordan Majewski‏ @jorcubsdan · Apr 30
    Might as well say “Promoted by NCAA” at the bottom
    Bass Ackwards‏ @ChadinJax · Apr 30
    Dan Wetzel. Sharpie.
    Bradley smith‏ @bradleysmith28
    Replying to @SethDavisHoops
    I am completely shocked a duke grad would say this.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    I like some of the comments underneath Seth's tweet:
    perfect, lol

there's this latest development too re. Izzo in this
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...cid=spartanntp

Izzo said at Big Ten media day in October 2018 that he did not feel vindicated by being cleared and hopes college basketball can “clean up our act.”
    “I’ve hoped this from Day 1, that coaches are held accountable and consequences are according to what they do,” Izzo said. “But I think players should be held accountable, I think parents should be held accountable. Accountable shouldn’t be a one-person deal – we all should be held accountable. And that’s what I’d like to see.”
    sounds like Few
    Last edited by bballbeachbum; 05-02-2019 at 10:09 AM.

Colleges have drifted from Scholarships are enough to reward athletes to allowing monthly stipends....how much longer until student athletes can earn whatever the kid sitting next to him in class is allowed to earn outside the classroom?

These are not laws passed by lawmakers these are rules created by colleges. Why doesn't the stipend defraud? Because there was a RULE change

Private party to private party bribery is against the law in some states, not federally. That is why they got these guys on racketeering and wire fraud. I do think this is a massive waste of FBI dollars and effort. This money also doesn't change the financial status of players going to schools on full athletic scholarships. The NCAA should have investigated this years ago. Everything should be brought above board and schools should be able to pay whatever they want to athletes.

Comments on the internet are just snark...instead of addressing Seth's point….they attempt to discredit the witness by questioning his character and motives....just more BS....

SMDH... I guess any law can be broken and can be gotten away with... at least according to some. Also, the whole system is a cesspool argument is a bit of a joke too. That is the same as "well everyone else is killing and robbing people so we shouldn't bother prosecuting people for that"
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Feds claiming Kansas is being defrauded is a farce not a cesspool.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    SMDH... I guess any law can be broken and can be gotten away with... at least according to some. Also, the whole system is a cesspool argument is a bit of a joke too. That is the same as "well everyone else is killing and robbing people so we shouldn't bother prosecuting people for that"
    Well, except for the fact that I never said that. Please don't put words in my mouth. Arizona, Kansas, Kentucky, LSU, Auburn, Carolina, Puke and anyone else that is cheating should get the death penalty as far as I'm concerned. But it won't happen because, wait for it.....college basketball is a corrupt cesspool. And that goes for the NCAA too.
    Last edited by thespywhozaggedme; 05-02-2019 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Comments on the internet are just snark...instead of addressing Seth's point….they attempt to discredit the witness by questioning his character and motives....just more BS....
    hardly just internet snark right? discrediting info sources, whether the discrediting is legit or not, has been around forever and goes well beyond the internet

all sides of this system are fully gamed by the participants seems to me. From the mouths dispensing false propaganda as fact on one side, to those who are justly accused of ill who then as matter of course simply turn around and accuse their accusers of anything (often of what they are righteously accused of doing themselves) in an attempt to save their own skins by discrediting the legit beefs of others

What are you going on about? Zagceo and I were saying that college hoops is a farce and sham. The whole system is corrupt.
    Sorry. I thought you were inferring that the investigation was such, based on earlier replies.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

But what law did he break? Everyone agrees that it is sleazy, or at least most of us do but you’re allowing your emotions to get in the way the facts. Taking money is not against the law. Now, if he did not report it on his taxes, which I’m sure he did not then yes the IRS by all means has every right to go after him but you keep saying that he broke the law by getting paid. OK, what law?
    They are violating Section 490(a) of the Higher Education Act of 1965 20 (United States Code 1097).

The penalties for providing false information on the FAFSA are severe.
    Per section 490(a) of the Higher Education Act of 1965 [20 USC
    1097(a)
    ], the penalties include a fine of up to $20,000 and/or up to 5
    years in prison. These penalties apply both to attempts to receive and
    to the actual receipt of Title IV federal student aid through fraud,
    false statement or forgery.
    https://www.fastweb.com/financial-ai...s-on-the-fafsa
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    hardly just internet snark right? discrediting info sources, whether the discrediting is legit or not, has been around forever and goes well beyond the internet

all sides of this system are fully gamed by the participants seems to me. From the mouths dispensing false propaganda as fact on one side, to those who are justly accused of ill who then as matter of course simply turn around and accuse their accusers of anything (often of what they are righteously accused of doing themselves) in an attempt to save their own skins by discrediting the legit beefs of others
    Snark has become the standard for comments on the Internet.....Those matters get settled in court...not on twitter...

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    They are violating Section 490(a) of the Higher Education Act of 1965 20 (United States Code 1097).

https://www.fastweb.com/financial-ai...s-on-the-fafsa
    Players receive scholarships paid for with Federal Student aid?

Has anyone even been accused/charged of violating the Higher Education Act ????

All Seth is saying is there has been a lot of smoke and damn little fire in two years….

Not necessarily but to get any institutional aid a fafsa must be filled out. Even for my child’s tuition remission required it.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

Not necessarily but to get any institutional aid a fafsa must be filled out. Even for my child’s tuition remission required it.
    So charging someone with violating this act would be a reach since no players scholarship actually comes from the Feds

AND all sources of income go on the FAFSA as well.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

So charging someone with violating this act would be a reach since no players scholarship actually comes from the Feds
    Actually no it wouldn’t. Regardless of whether and federal aid is used you are required to do a FAFSA for any institutional aid. Lying, knowingly, on said FAFSA is a violation of the law with or without federal aid.

No, they failed to report all sources of aid on their FAFSA. You have to report everything that a student receives; income, gifts, parent aid, grandparent aid, payments from shoe company reps or basketball coaches, etc, etc, etc.

In this case you have shoe company reps, sports agents, and college coaches collaborating to get around this reporting requirement because if the NCAA finds out they would face NCAA actions. So hiding payments to students by not reporting them on FAFSAs becomes fraud. Using texts, email, and cell phones now makes it wire fraud.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time