Thread: SCU breaks ground

Default SCU breaks ground

https://www.santaclarabroncos.com/ge...20190426n2r06m

(mods please move when appropriate)
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

step in the right direction

A school beside GU putting money BACK into their program???

Their campus is already breathtakingly beautiful. Should be a nice place. Hard to see why they have trouble recruiting.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    A school beside GU putting money BACK into their program???

Because someone has to...

"And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Their campus is already breathtakingly beautiful. Should be a nice place. Hard to see why they have trouble recruiting.
    agree about campus....even downtown San Jose which isn't far has really improved with SAP center revitalization.

WCC my WAG

At first glance, I thought the thread title was "SCU breaks wind". Of course, they certainly did so with their "shot across the bow" full page ads in the Sea Times and S-R full page ads before their 50 pt loss last season.

Kudos to them-- keep it up and create the infrastructure to support a great program.

"...Made possible by lead funding of $15 million from Stephen C. '60 and Patricia A. Schott, and $10 million from Mary '84 and Mark Stevens, the Athletic Excellence Center (AEC) will provide dedicated space for Broncos student-athletes to train, practice, eat and study together while also opening up Davey Court for campus events and for all students participating in club and intramural sports."

And by the generous donation of Gonzaga basketball tournament success. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Robzagnut View Post
    And by the generous donation of Gonzaga basketball tournament success. Just saying.

What?

Are you talking about the few hundred thousands of $'s SCU has received over the course of 2 decades? If so, that money was spent along time ago and I highly doubt has contributed in any material way to this project.

As I noted quite awhile ago when we collectively were having the debate about the MWC, Gonzaga in terms of endowment is on the lower end of wealth versus other WCC schools. SCU has FAR more fincancial resources than Gonzaga. Its not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    What?

Are you talking about the few hundred thousands of $'s SCU has received over the course of 2 decades? If so, that money was spent along time ago and I highly doubt has contributed in any material way to this project.

As I noted quite awhile ago when we collectively were having the debate about the MWC, Gonzaga in terms of endowment is on the lower end of wealth versus other WCC schools. SCU has FAR more fincancial resources than Gonzaga. Its not even close.
    In 2017, each game paid about $1.7 Million to the Conference. That's about $100,000 per school, per game played. It is paid out over 6 years, but I have to imagine that each WCC school ahs to be getting $400,00/yr based on the Zags recent success.

While that figure pales in comparison to the multi-million dollar donations, it has freed up much money to take care of the smaller things.

I am just glad that they are spending money to upgrade their facilities. I hope that all the WCC schools will follow suit.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    In 2017, each game paid about $1.7 Million to the Conference. That's about $100,000 per school, per game played. It is paid out over 6 years, but I have to imagine that each WCC school ahs to be getting $400,00/yr based on the Zags recent success.

While that figure pales in comparison to the multi-million dollar donations, it has freed up much money to take care of the smaller things.

I am just glad that they are spending money to upgrade their facilities. I hope that all the WCC schools will follow suit.
    Santa Clara received a $100 million donation from one family to build a new STEM Center on campus and has a $980 million endowment. As a comparison point, the Gonzaga endowment is $276 million. They have zero dependence on Gonzaga basketball for money. I actually think the discrepancy in endowment money might play a role in some of the WCC schools dragging their feet to invest in athletics the way Gonzaga does. GU depends on basketball for exposure so that the beds are filled and the endowment can grow. Gonzaga needs the basketball team to be successful so that the school can grow and stay above water. For any of us who attended the university in the 90's or prior, and see where it is now, is aware of the impact it has on the university. Santa Clara doesn't have that same need.

The president of SCU made mention of a Blue Ribbon Commission to invest in the athletics department. If Santa Clara makes a decision to invest in athletics (based on this building and that commission, it seems it's becoming a priority) they can do it without the Zags.

Quote Originally Posted by PCZ_Frites View Post
    Santa Clara received a $100 million donation from one family to build a new STEM Center on campus and has a $980 million endowment. As a comparison point, the Gonzaga endowment is $276 million. They have zero dependence on Gonzaga basketball for money. I actually think the discrepancy in endowment money might play a role in some of the WCC schools dragging their feet to invest in athletics the way Gonzaga does. GU depends on basketball for exposure so that the beds are filled and the endowment can grow. Gonzaga needs the basketball team to be successful so that the school can grow and stay above water. For any of us who attended the university in the 90's or prior, and see where it is now, is aware of the impact it has on the university. Santa Clara doesn't have that same need.

The president of SCU made mention of a Blue Ribbon Commission to invest in the athletics department. If Santa Clara makes a decision to invest in athletics (based on this building and that commission, it seems it's becoming a priority) they can do it without the Zags.
    Great. Have them give the money back!

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Great. Have them give the money back!

They did.

They did.
    good.

What?

Methinks thou dost protest too much.

Let's do the math using 2017 numbers. 1.7 million per game played.

2015 - Sweet 16, 3 games played
    2016 - Elite 8, 4 games
    2017 - National Champ game, 6 games
    2018 - Sweet 16, 3 games
    2019 - Elite 8, 4 games.

Over the last 5 years that's 20 games. 1.7 million multiplied by 20 games equals = 34 million.

Divide 34 million by 10 schools and that's 3.4 million per school.

That does not include money from the previous 15 years that GU has played in the NCAA tournament. Just a little more than the few hundred thousand you're talking about...

Point of order; remember that the Zag's got the WCC to adjust the payouts so FWIW, the Zag's (& this year I assume SMC) have gotten a > % of the pie. What it is apparently only the people involved know.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by Robzagnut View Post
    Methinks thou dost protest too much.

Let's do the math using 2017 numbers. 1.7 million per game played.

2015 - Sweet 16, 3 games played
    2016 - Elite 8, 4 games
    2017 - National Champ game, 6 games
    2018 - Sweet 16, 3 games
    2019 - Elite 8, 4 games.

Over the last 5 years that's 20 games. 1.7 million multiplied by 20 games equals = 34 million.

Divide 34 million by 10 schools and that's 3.4 million per school.

That does not include money from the previous 15 years that GU has played in the NCAA tournament. Just a little more than the few hundred thousand you're talking about...
    Not to nitpick, but the Zags only got 5 games in 2017. The title game is not counted for distribution of money. Why, I don't know.

Also, the money is paid out over a 6 year period. Based on $32 million (without factoring in St. Mary's earnings), plus another $3 for the two games in 2014, the WCC in toto should receive close to $6 million this year. How it's divided up now is anyone's guess, but the WCC office will also take a piece of the pie.

Of course, it pales in comparison to the power conferences. And then there's the TV money...in reading about Chris Beard's extension, the writer opined it made good sense, as each team in the Big 12 will be getting over $40 million next year for their TV rights...includes football, of course.