• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sittingon50
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

SCU breaks ground

Page Not Found (404): It looks like you're lost... The page you are looking for no longer exists.

(mods please move when appropriate)
    But we don't play nobody.
  • ZagsGoZags
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2007

step in the right direction

Comment

• hooter73
      Zag for Life
      • Jun 2008

A school beside GU putting money BACK into their program???

Comment

• DZ
        Zag for Life
        • Sep 2007

Their campus is already breathtakingly beautiful. Should be a nice place. Hard to see why they have trouble recruiting.
        Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
        Mark Twain.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by hooter73 View Post
          A school beside GU putting money BACK into their program???

Because someone has to...

"And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• Zagceo
            Zag for Life
            • Nov 2013

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
            Their campus is already breathtakingly beautiful. Should be a nice place. Hard to see why they have trouble recruiting.
            agree about campus....even downtown San Jose which isn't far has really improved with SAP center revitalization.

WCC my WAG

Comment

• maynard g krebs
              Zag for Life
              • Sep 2009

At first glance, I thought the thread title was "SCU breaks wind". Of course, they certainly did so with their "shot across the bow" full page ads in the Sea Times and S-R full page ads before their 50 pt loss last season.

Comment

• Zagdawg
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Kudos to them-- keep it up and create the infrastructure to support a great program.

Comment

• Robzagnut
                  Zag for Life
                  • Apr 2007

"...Made possible by lead funding of $15 million from Stephen C. '60 and Patricia A. Schott, and $10 million from Mary '84 and Mark Stevens, the Athletic Excellence Center (AEC) will provide dedicated space for Broncos student-athletes to train, practice, eat and study together while also opening up Davey Court for campus events and for all students participating in club and intramural sports."

And by the generous donation of Gonzaga basketball tournament success. Just saying.

Comment

• former1dog
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Robzagnut View Post
                    And by the generous donation of Gonzaga basketball tournament success. Just saying.

What?

Are you talking about the few hundred thousands of $'s SCU has received over the course of 2 decades? If so, that money was spent along time ago and I highly doubt has contributed in any material way to this project.

As I noted quite awhile ago when we collectively were having the debate about the MWC, Gonzaga in terms of endowment is on the lower end of wealth versus other WCC schools. SCU has FAR more fincancial resources than Gonzaga. Its not even close.

Comment

• willandi
                      Zag for Life
                      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by former1dog View Post
                      What?

Are you talking about the few hundred thousands of $'s SCU has received over the course of 2 decades? If so, that money was spent along time ago and I highly doubt has contributed in any material way to this project.

As I noted quite awhile ago when we collectively were having the debate about the MWC, Gonzaga in terms of endowment is on the lower end of wealth versus other WCC schools. SCU has FAR more fincancial resources than Gonzaga. Its not even close.
                      In 2017, each game paid about $1.7 Million to the Conference. That's about $100,000 per school, per game played. It is paid out over 6 years, but I have to imagine that each WCC school ahs to be getting $400,00/yr based on the Zags recent success.

While that figure pales in comparison to the multi-million dollar donations, it has freed up much money to take care of the smaller things.

I am just glad that they are spending money to upgrade their facilities. I hope that all the WCC schools will follow suit.
                      Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• PCZ_Frites
                        Bulldog Fan
                        • Nov 2017

Originally posted by willandi View Post
                        In 2017, each game paid about $1.7 Million to the Conference. That's about $100,000 per school, per game played. It is paid out over 6 years, but I have to imagine that each WCC school ahs to be getting $400,00/yr based on the Zags recent success.

While that figure pales in comparison to the multi-million dollar donations, it has freed up much money to take care of the smaller things.

I am just glad that they are spending money to upgrade their facilities. I hope that all the WCC schools will follow suit.
                        Santa Clara received a $100 million donation from one family to build a new STEM Center on campus and has a $980 million endowment. As a comparison point, the Gonzaga endowment is $276 million. They have zero dependence on Gonzaga basketball for money. I actually think the discrepancy in endowment money might play a role in some of the WCC schools dragging their feet to invest in athletics the way Gonzaga does. GU depends on basketball for exposure so that the beds are filled and the endowment can grow. Gonzaga needs the basketball team to be successful so that the school can grow and stay above water. For any of us who attended the university in the 90's or prior, and see where it is now, is aware of the impact it has on the university. Santa Clara doesn't have that same need.

The president of SCU made mention of a Blue Ribbon Commission to invest in the athletics department. If Santa Clara makes a decision to invest in athletics (based on this building and that commission, it seems it's becoming a priority) they can do it without the Zags.

Comment

• willandi
                          Zag for Life
                          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by PCZ_Frites View Post
                          Santa Clara received a $100 million donation from one family to build a new STEM Center on campus and has a $980 million endowment. As a comparison point, the Gonzaga endowment is $276 million. They have zero dependence on Gonzaga basketball for money. I actually think the discrepancy in endowment money might play a role in some of the WCC schools dragging their feet to invest in athletics the way Gonzaga does. GU depends on basketball for exposure so that the beds are filled and the endowment can grow. Gonzaga needs the basketball team to be successful so that the school can grow and stay above water. For any of us who attended the university in the 90's or prior, and see where it is now, is aware of the impact it has on the university. Santa Clara doesn't have that same need.

The president of SCU made mention of a Blue Ribbon Commission to invest in the athletics department. If Santa Clara makes a decision to invest in athletics (based on this building and that commission, it seems it's becoming a priority) they can do it without the Zags.
                          Great. Have them give the money back!
                          Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• former1dog
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by willandi View Post
                            Great. Have them give the money back!

They did.

Comment

• willandi
                              Zag for Life