Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Admon Gilder Grad Transfer Committed

Wow...what a great weekend this could be. I hope both Gilder and Jenkins love the visit here as we can sure use them and I think they'd love the experience of being a Zag.

Still not sure how Jenkins is would be eligible immediately, I guess he can argue that his coach left for UNLV I mean hey, it works for Tate Martell at Ohio State. My only concern is that between Jenkins and Guilder they average less than four assists combined. But if they join on, I will cheer my head off for them. I’m just afraid that there are really unrealistic expectations for these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Still not sure how Jenkins is would be eligible immediately, I guess he can argue that his coach left for UNLV I mean hey, it works for Tate Martell at Ohio State. My only concern is that between Jenkins and Guilder they average less than four assists combined. But if they join on, I will cheer my head off for them. I’m just afraid that there are really unrealistic expectations for these guys.
    Spy-- i think with transfers it is always best to optimistically cautious.... as i predict Gilder if healthy will have an all american type season...

One thing to note though, top CBB analysts/ writers (if you want to believe them), predicted Gilder as the #5 grad transfer (1 above Pierce btw) and Jenkins as the #2 "Sit out" transfer... so others think highly of them. Gilder would be much higher i imagine if he played last year and there werent concerns still about his health.

Jenkins shot 45% from three ball with three games of 8 or more 3's hit. I dont care what conference you are in... if you are hitting 8 + 3's in 3 different games in a college season and shoot 45% on the year with 247 attempts, you are an absolute ELITE shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Spy-- i think with transfers it is always best to optimistically cautious.... as i predict Gilder if healthy will have an all american type season...

One thing to note though, top CBB analysts/ writers (if you want to believe them), predicted Gilder as the #5 grad transfer (1 above Pierce btw) and Jenkins as the #2 "Sit out" transfer... so others think highly of them. Gilder would be much higher i imagine if he played last year and there werent concerns still about his health.

Jenkins shot 45% from three ball with three games of 8 or more 3's hit. I dont care what conference you are in... if you are hitting 8 + 3's in 3 different games in a college season and shoot 45% on the year with 247 attempts, you are an absolute ELITE shooter.
    Yes, you are very high on Gilder, not sure why because in all of the footage that I have seen of him there is nothing to indicate that he is an All-American player, but you are definitely entitled to that opinion. Jenkins is a fantastic three point shooter, but at 6’1 very undersized for a shooting guard. Again neither one of these guys are true point guards by definition but I do hope for the best.

From an elite college basketball analyst regarding Gilder: "Solid player. He's good enough to help solidify backcourt."

I think Harris and Strawther trying to get Suggs to come to Gonzaga is a bigger deal than Geno. Which isn't to say that Geno and Dower cannot help. I have no idea if either guy knows the Suggs family. Pargo was instrumental in landing Norvell.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    From an elite college basketball analyst regarding Gilder: "Solid player. He's good enough to help solidify backcourt."
    From everything that I have watched, seen and read I agree with that assessment 100% percent. He is a solid solidifier, not a game changer.

Really starting to wonder how much hoops you watch.
    Haha, yes because if I don’t agree with your assessment I’m an idiot.

What’s funny is that I said I want him on the team and that he’s a good player. AA is very hard to achieve and up to this point in his career, I don’t see it. Hope he proves me wrong.

Also, SEC AA’s in the past 5 years...2 first teamers and 3 second teamers. All bigs except for 1 guard. 4 from Kentucky alone. They aren’t exactly spitting out AA’s and certainly not at the guard position.

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    Haha, yes because if I don’t agree with your assessment I’m an idiot.

What’s funny is that I said I want him on the team and that he’s a good player. AA is very hard to achieve and up to this point in his career, I don’t see it. Hope he proves me wrong.

Also, SEC AA’s in the past 5 years...2 first teamers and 3 second teamers. All bigs except for 1 guard. 4 from Kentucky alone. They aren’t exactly spitting out AA’s and certainly not at the guard position.
    I am on the same page as you on this one. Gilder is a good, not great player and he would be a welcome addition to the team but I think that certain posters have unrealistic expectations of him. It was a choice between 1 year of him and Nix, it would be Nix all day, every day for me.

I am on the same page as you on this one. Gilder is a good, not great player and he would be a welcome addition to the team but I think that certain posters have unrealistic expectations of him. It was a choice between 1 year of him and Nix, it would be Nix all day, every day for me.
    Really hope he comes so you can gush over him all year

Really hope he comes so you can gush over him all year
    Hey, if he becomes a Zag, I'll cheer my head off for him. But Nix is a 5* top 15 recruit. I don't want Gilder if it means no Nix.

I know there are some that are not extremely high on Gilder, but it sounds like he is really high on the Zags and the Zags are high on him. He looks like the grad transfer we need to land.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    I know there are some that are not extremely high on Gilder, but it sounds like he is really high on the Zags and the Zags are high on him. He looks like the grad transfer we need to land.
    Hey, as I said, if he becomes a Zag, I'll cheer my head off for him. But if 1 year of him costs us Nix, I'd be lying if I said that I'd be a little disappointed.

Hey, as I said, if he becomes a Zag, I'll cheer my head off for him. But if 1 year of him costs us Nix, I'd be lying if I said that I'd be a little disappointed.
    Wasn't just meaning you Spy, I know you will cheer for him. Just throwing it out there that we are in a good spot with Gilder and with him coming to campus I would not be shocked if he commits this week.

Underrated aspect of a grad transfer: leadership. Especially from a point guard. Especially from a player with tournament experience.

Would be a nice "win" over Texas Tech after our loss to them... and our loss to them on Matt Mooney last summer.

I would absolutely be ecstatic if Gilder comes here!
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Wasn't just meaning you Spy, I know you will cheer for him. Just throwing it out there that we are in a good spot with Gilder and with him coming to campus I would not be shocked if he commits this week.
    No problem. I've been hearing some things too. I'd be happy to have him on board.

Gilder is a terrific overall player who can add leadership, fantastic defense, and quality play from either guard spot. He seems more comfortable at the 2 and let’s face it.... the reality seems to be that we will need a boost at both the 1 and 2 spots so I personally have no concern that a Gilder commit has an negative impact with Nix. On the alternative, being a better team can only help in that recruitment. Quite honestly, I’m not sure why anyone wouldn’t be ecstatic adding Gilder. Our team has a few glaring holes possibly and he fills those. The reality is that grad transfers are usually added to play a solid role but Gilder is one of a few (at most) that has a chance to be a star.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagBlue View Post
    I’m not sure why anyone wouldn’t be ecstatic adding Gilder.
    While I would be ecstatic to add Gilder, I can see why the scholarship chart would make some fans nervous.

If we assume Norvell stays in the draft and Tillie + Filip return, adding Gilder would leave us with 1 opening for 2019. That means we could add only one of Nix, Jenkins, Boogie, or allowing Dom to reclassify.

Not to mention that adding Nix/Jenkins/Boogie would fill up our scholarship chart for 2020. So beyond playing time, this seemingly adds a level of complexity to Jalen Suggs committing.

I know posters say "the scholarships always work out themselves," but this really illuminates how important it is to not give a scholarship to a player that you'd rather have as an "OPEN" spot on the chart.

Ayaye and Foster transfer, problem solved

Gilder would be a fantastic addition. I'm not sure about the All-American hype, but he's a quality starting point guard for a top 25 team from what I've seen. His veteran presence and experience would be a huge asset for next year's team.

Excellent! I'm assuming you have some legit whispers on this. Keep us in the loop as you can.

I'm way more excited about Jenkins with the caveat that he would be eligible immediately. Gilder to me is a serviceable placeholder, but teams need those too.

I'm way more excited about Jenkins with the caveat that he would be eligible immediately. Gilder to me is a serviceable placeholder, but teams need those too.
    I worry about Jenkins, as if he were to choose GU, does that hurt our chances of Suggs/Nix/Burnett? If he is not immediately eligible then I think it will hurt, if we can get him this year then I don't think it will as Suggs and him can play side by side for a year, while Harris comes off the bench.

I worry about Jenkins, as if he were to choose GU, does that hurt our chances of Suggs/Nix/Burnett? If he is not immediately eligible then I think it will hurt, if we can get him this year then I don't think it will as Suggs and him can play side by side for a year, while Harris comes off the bench.
    What do we know, if anything, about Jenkins chances of being immediately eligible?