• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MDABE80
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

2019 Admon Gilder Grad Transfer Committed

Admon Gilder, a 6-foot-4, 200-pound combo guard, is considered one of the top graduate transfers. He’s visiting Texas Tech this weekend, and the former Dallas prep standout has reportedly drawn interest from Texas, TCU, SMU and Iowa State.

Good size, shoots well…..
    Last edited by CDC84; 05-05-2019, 12:03 PM.
  • Therunner
    Zag for Life
    • Dec 2007

Texas Tech is hot right now. Their Coach took full advantage of the spotlight, and earned a ton of interest from players and programs alike. He is quite the salesman-y Coach.

Will be tough to sway him from there, plus his home state. Gotta wonder if the Zags facing his old team hurts us instead of helps us?

Tech loses Mooney, Culver, Owens, Odiase, and Francis (all 5 were instrumental in beating Zags). Mooney and Francis were 2 of their top 3 guards, Moretti their only guard left on the team.

Comment

• gonzagafan62
      Zag for Life
      • Nov 2013

He’s going to Tech
      Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• zagsfanforlife
        Zag for Life
        • Jun 2007

We have been talking about him for almost a month now. Not sure he’s new.

And if he goes to tech— barring someone new becoming a grad transfer and cam Mack, hazzard, Ingram, and others already committing, looks like we are looking at a geno type talent or worse leading our squad next year.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
          We have been talking about him for almost a month now. Not sure he’s new.

And if he goes to tech— barring someone new becoming a grad transfer and cam Mack, hazzard, Ingram, and others already committing, looks like we are looking at a geno type talent or worse leading our squad next year.
          IIRC, the discussion of Geno's abilities were based upon the one game he played against us. I don't recall any discussion about how he'd perform against the higher caliber of teams the GU plays against, as opposed to North Dakota's opponents. His injury complicated his period of transition IMO, though he upped his play as the season progressed.

That's probably why I didn't mind so much Abe Hazzard signing with Arizona. Like so many here, I trust the staff, fully knowing that not every player that comes here will play starring roles.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Geno was valiant. But mostly a miss. He was supposed to spell Josh but never demonstrated pg ability. He was a one hit wonder, the game vs GU.

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
            IIRC, the discussion of Geno's abilities were based upon the one game he played against us. I don't recall any discussion about how he'd perform against the higher caliber of teams the GU plays against, as opposed to North Dakota's opponents. His injury complicated his period of transition IMO, though he upped his play as the season progressed.

That's probably why I didn't mind so much Abe Hazzard signing with Arizona. Like so many here, I trust the staff, fully knowing that not every player that comes here will play starring roles.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
              Geno was valiant. But mostly a miss. He was supposed to spell Josh but never demonstrated pg ability. He was a one hit wonder, the game vs GU.
              Damn shame, we needed more production off the bench against Tech, and we didn't get it. 4 of our 5 starters played 34 or more minutes...Josh had 38. Valiant effort by Josh, but the tank was empty at the end of the game. Geno: 8 minutes, 0 points. Jeremy 13 minutes, 0 points. Killian 11 minutes, 3 points. Their ineffectiveness forced Few's hand in the second half.

Just my opinion, that's all, and I'm not putting the blame on the bench. They didn't commit those 16 turnovers, nor were they the reason we hit less than 30% from three point land.

I think Gilder will have an easier path to more minutes next year in Spokane, given the upheaval in personnel and a much younger team.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Our self styled lottery pick was 3-11, start there.

Damn shame, we needed more production off the bench against Tech, and we didn't get it. 4 of our 5 starters played 34 or more minutes...Josh had 38. Valiant effort by Josh, but the tank was empty at the end of the game. Geno: 8 minutes, 0 points. Jeremy 13 minutes, 0 points. Killian 11 minutes, 3 points. Their ineffectiveness forced Few's hand in the second half.

Just my opinion, that's all, and I'm not putting the blame on the bench. They didn't commit those 16 turnovers, nor were they the reason we hit less than 30% from three point land.

I think Gilder will have an easier path to more minutes next year in Spokane, given the upheaval in personnel and a much younger team.

Comment

• raise the zag
                  Zag for Life
                  • May 2011

In one of the prediction threads awhile back, I posted and felt our ceiling was Elite 8 and we were "one player away" from Final 4. That is verbatim.

I felt we lacked either 1 more big or guard off the bench to provide consistent production, esp in a tight game vs high level opponent.

Unfortunately, this rang true. And how I felt all season long.

Even WITH Tillie, who was still getting back in shape again, and still is to this day.

We needed more depth. A player to make a clutch shot when Norvell couldn't make a bucket, or someone to play aggressive on offense. That wasn't Jones, Geno. Et al. Great players in their own right yet timely finesse players who lacked scoring ability.

Its why 2021 or 2022 is so intriguing, quality depth. Depth that is effective, big, can score, etc.

Its the difference between Elite 8 or S16, and Final 4. At least 1 bench guy must step up. Hit a timely shot, or block, or play aggressive.

We had Zach Collins and Silas Melson and Tillie off the bench 2 yrs ago.

That was my point then...and now.

We had Jones & Geno this year, and Tillie some of the time, at 60%.

Comment

• Malastein
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

If he is part of the reason we land Jalen Suggs, then it’ll be worth it even if he didn’t have the time due to finishing classwork and his hand injury to learn how to be most effective for the Zags last season.
                    The only hope we have for a better future is to come together and do everything we possibly can in order to achieve a sustainable existence. Everything else is folly of a broken foundation.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Malastein View Post
                      If he is part of the reason we land Jalen Suggs, then it’ll be worth it even if he didn’t have the time due to finishing classwork and his hand injury to learn how to be most effective for the Zags last season.
                      I don’t understand the Suggs and Geno connection. And Suggs is 20-80 maybe.

Comment

• soccerdud
                        Zag for Life
                        • Jul 2009

same hometown and, at the very least, geno has tweeted @suggs about coming to spokane/gonzaga. big sway? probably not... but certainly can't hurt. love how geno is continuing to rep the zags.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by soccerdud View Post
                          same hometown and, at the very least, geno has tweeted @suggs about coming to spokane/gonzaga. big sway? probably not... but certainly can't hurt. love how geno is continuing to rep the zags.
                          Gotcha. That’s cool. Can’t hoit

Comment

• Hooray4Daye&Gray
                            Kennel Club Alum
                            • Oct 2008

Yawn.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Hooray4Daye&Gray View Post
                              Yawn.
                              Too high?

Comment

Working...
                              X