Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Hands of Texas Tech

I remember that play! (But don’t remember who it was). That was great.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Thanks....my pet peeve is when the offensive player seeks contact with the defensive player..... who then gets galled for a blocking foul..
    You see sooooooo much of that now, players just driving in, eyes closed and throwing it up thinking they should get the call.

Buddy, you made that shot more difficult then it needed to be...get back on D
    I am working on being a more all around square.

Thanks....my pet peeve is when the offensive player seeks contact with the defensive player..... who then gets called for a blocking foul..
    Mine too. It's gotten to an art form it seems.
    One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

have watched through that game more than once now, that painful it was

that the Zags missed some shots through contact is true. doesn't excuse the incredible amount of hacks uncalled in that game by TT, and the allowance of it to that team. Rewatch how the first 4 minutes are called, and then after the under 16, the radical change, for whatever reason. Went from calling the hacks to not calling them, just like that, lol

Zags couldn't quite overcome, the stepping out of bounds play didn't help, and Moretti ha tirato il nostro cuore

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    Mine too. It's gotten to an art form it seems.
    I hate that too. None is worse than when a three point shooter gets a defender off his feet, this twists his body in a completely unnatural shooting motion and throws up a wild shot that never had any chance of going in to get 3 free throws. I'd love to see them make than an offensive foul in all honesty. There is nothing basketball about it.

As for the OP, I said my piece on it right after the game ended, but to summarize, if the officiating had just been subpar, GU beats Tech. The type of basketball TT played was disgusting and I am so glad they did not win a championship with that garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    Texas Tech is not loaded with NBA athleticism.
    handsi-ness is a program priority and can be taught to good athletes.
    There is no question it disoriented nearly every team they played.
    My question is, with the present structure of the rules and referee tradition this year,
    why wouldn't every ranked team adopt this priority?
    Not saying I have an answer, not even saying its an educated question,
    just saying I wonder if top teams do not make this a program priority, I wonder why not?
    If they do it will hurt the game of basketball...it is NOT good basketball in my opinion ...I believe once TTech got this "reputation for being a good defense" they got away with way too much contact. When the ball enters the post and an outside defender drops down and slaps at the ball and hits the player it SHOULD BE A FOUL!!! It is NOT good defense.
    It's What You learn AFTER You Know It All That Counts

Watch a TV analyst with Big East roots and you keep hearing the same emphasis over and over. "Strong with the ball".

Folks that just look at stat lines can't really appreciate how good Nigel Williams Goss was. He was strong with the basketball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1J-pC1ahwI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ1sytggX1U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMrRpbq4OnI
    I miss Mike Hart

I heard Izzo say after the game that they (TT) were tougher than we were...…. and he would review the tape and see if they need to make some adjustments to their strength and conditioning programs...….that struck me as a very wise and pragmatic assessment...

I heard Izzo say after the game that they (TT) were tougher than we were...…. and he would review the tape and see if they need to make some adjustments to their strength and conditioning programs...….that struck me as a very wise and pragmatic assessment...
    I remember the first part of that statement but not the part about evaluating their strength and conditioning. I say that just to say that I was annoyed when people intimated that this Zag team was soft-- TT was just tougher. If they were tougher than MSU, who has a reputation for toughness, that is more of a compliment to TT than a knock on MSU or GU. The Zags had to play tough to get where they were, in my opinion.

blahla is right.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Virginia plays very good positional defense and fouls less than just about anybody in the NCAA. That’s the kind of defense I would be interested in seeing GU play. To give Texas Tech credit, they flow well, move to the ball, and help each other on defense. My friend and I were comparing them during the GU game to an amoeba (in a good way) in the sense that they change shape as a unit out there and everybody seems to know where everybody else is supposed to be.
    Virginia plays "pack line" M2M which is an extremely disciplined type of M2M with a lot of rules that you need to rep. You basically give up open 3 point opportunities to play the gaps. You have to anticipate passes and close out on shooters as soon as the pass leaves a the passers hand. They also front the post 90% of the time on wing entries.

personally I really like it, but it takes a lot of practice time to really master, and you are susceptible to the 3 ball

Quote Originally Posted by MileHigh View Post
    Virginia plays "pack line" M2M which is an extremely disciplined type of M2M with a lot of rules that you need to rep. You basically give up open 3 point opportunities to play the gaps. You have to anticipate passes and close out on shooters as soon as the pass leaves a the passers hand. They also front the post 90% of the time on wing entries.

personally I really like it, but it takes a lot of practice time to really master, and you are susceptible to the 3 ball
    Exhibit A: giving up 12 of 24 from the 3-point line en route to a loss to 16 seed UMBC last year.

Exhibit A: giving up 12 of 24 from the 3-point line en route to a loss to 16 seed UMBC last year.
    That was simply amazing....I suspect everyone, including UMBC, was shocked..... but they are the Champ and they haven't lost many is a very tough room...

I can't think of anyone in college basketball I respect more than Tony Bennett...

even Bennett gets mentioned in FBI scandal

https://www.cavalierdaily.com/articl...-investigation

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    even Bennett gets mentioned in FBI scandal

https://www.cavalierdaily.com/articl...-investigation
    With the thousands of dollars flowing to athletes and their families, it would fit the craziness of it all if a $65 dinner is what sticks. I’m hoping that she at least ordered dessert.

With the thousands of dollars flowing to athletes and their families, it would fit the craziness of it all if a $65 dinner is what sticks. I’m hoping that she at least ordered dessert.
    It may be serious. They may feel that Pacific has been punished enough.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Zags were not one player away from winning a championship. They had the personnel to win it. A couple bounces of a ball is all that separated them from the trophy.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    Zags were not one player away from winning a championship. They had the personnel to win it. A couple bounces of a ball is all that separated them from the trophy.
    Agree w/ first sentence, but it was more the way the game was, or wasn't, called.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    It may be serious. They may feel that Pacific has been punished enough.
    Storm clouds forming over East Bay and moving toward Stockton ...

Storm clouds forming over East Bay and moving toward Stockton ...
    Lordy, that sounds like an old Doobie Brothers song...Disciple, from their second album.

Unless there are applicable rule changes for the next season,
    why wouldn't GU and other D1 colleges for that matter, make it a program priority do what Texas Tech does, and teach players to focus MORE on quick handed defense skills? Once the advantages of the fosbury flop were clear, it became widely adopted. How does it hurt the zags to copy and then develop this defensive set of skills for themselves this coming season.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Agree w/ first sentence, but it was more the way the game was, or wasn't, called.
    This.

Default Or the Zags can make more baskets and just win

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    Unless there are applicable rule changes for the next season,
    why wouldn't GU and other D1 colleges for that matter, make it a program priority do what Texas Tech does, and teach players to focus MORE on quick handed defense skills? Once the advantages of the fosbury flop were clear, it became widely adopted. How does it hurt the zags to copy and then develop this defensive set of skills for themselves this coming season.
    I would rather see the Zags win then worry about an opposing defense. Mooney and Moretti were clutch and delivered in crunch time. The Zags did not.

Don't forget that they made a couple huge shots at the end of the game, and we had no one who could stop their point guard. It wasn't just their defense that was so good and why they won, but maybe our poorer defense.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!