Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: O Ye of Little Faith

Default O Ye of Little Faith

Good grief, the negativity around here is nearly stifling.

How many of you, especially the sky is falling type, really believe that any of the NBA declarations that have happened were not known about/anticipated and appropriately planned for by the coaching staff? You know, that group of men who have guided the program to 20 consecutive NCAA appearances and continually surprised and delighted this fan base over and over again for literally 2 decades.

A lot of you act like we have a bunch of rookies running this thing called Gonzaga basketball and have left our cupboard bare.

I for one have zero worries that we'll have a very good to great team once again next year.

Stealing from GoZags, as a fan base we know less than 5% of what is actually going on. Individually though, we do have some folks that are actually in the know and we should likely perk up a bit when they post. GoZags would be one and CaldwellZag would be another.

Complaints about polly-annas stifling negative nancys coming in 3... 2... 1...
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Complaints about polly-annas stifling negative nancys coming in 3... 2... 1...

I am not a person of faith.....To quote Inspector Clouseau…. I know what I know (5%) but I do not know what I do not know (95%).....

If I get new or better information, I will change my mind......to paraphrase John Maynard Keynes...

Here's my opinion on how far our recruiting has come in short amount of time.

2015-16 Przemek goes down with back injury and Zags need win in WCC tourney to make dance

2018-19 Tillie goes down with foot problems and Zags 1 or 2 possessions from Final Four

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    I know what I know (5%) but I do not know what I do not know (95%).....
    So you admit that you are 95% uninformed.

Is there anything less valuable in the world than an uninformed opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by ZigZagger View Post

No opinion.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Or a wrong opinion....

Read recently that there are over 230 Early Entry declarations for the 2019 NBA Draft. I think the deadline to declare was last night. The vast majority of these kids will be returning to school.

With the new rule changes there is virtually no harm for a player to declare.

We will more than fine next year. There are plenty of other teams who would like "our problems" for the next season

I have total confidence that the coaching staff has planned for contingencies. Sometimes plans don't come to fruition. There are still legitimate concerns for next year's team. That includes PG minutes and inexperience with the talented recruiting class. I'm sure the staff is working hard to cover any holes that might be created by early outs but they aren't infallible. Few has an excellent track record but I'll bet he doesn't wake up in the morning thinking everything will magically work out.

What is hilarious to me is the thread in the Foo that is basically complaining about the complainers. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    to paraphrase Maynard ...
    You rang?

I understand the dynamic that it is very hard to recruit players to spots that are full, with incoming players having no hope of playing time. This makes the situation with the big men this year very understandable.

I just don’t see how the plan all along was to find a grad transfer to start at PG this year.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    I understand the dynamic that it is very hard to recruit players to spots that are full, with incoming players having no hope of playing time. This makes the situation with the big men this year very understandable.

I just don’t see how the plan all along was to find a grad transfer to start at PG this year.
    The plan was probably Jesse Wade. Things changed.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Agreed with Kitz - I think the plan was for a combination of Wade and possibly Ayayi. Obviously neither have worked out, to this point, at least.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Interesting thoughts on Wade.

people compare PG's to QB's.....one huge difference...college basketball teams don't carry 3 or 4 PG's.

My guess Norvell is option 1 next year. Convert running back to QB. )

But I know an ascheloche when I see one.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    But I know an ascheloche when I see one.
    Wow, calling me an a-hole in german. That's classy...

Why would you possibly assume that the "plan" was to have no PG and need to find a grad transfer, just simply because that's how things ended up?

Obviously we were rolling out the red carpet and going full-court to woo Brandon Williams - he was part of "the plan". We also had Jesse Wade - he too was part of the plan. We had Ayayi and Foster - their potential to develop this year was part of the plan.

That's all in addition to other high-level transfer or freshman PGs we might have pursued, planned to used, and who didn't end up as Zags.

Seriously, saying our "plan" was to have no PG since that's how things shook out is like saying our "plan" was for Tillie to be injured twice and miss most of the season.

Wow, calling me an a-hole in german. That's classy...
    Yeah, about as classy as the shot you took at Bart.

I didn't attack Bart personally - he's probably a great guy and not an ascheloch at all. I was just saying that opinions based on next to zero information are pretty useless - apparently you feel otherwise.

I didn't attack Bart personally - he's probably a great guy and not an ascheloch at all. I was just saying that opinions based on next to zero information are pretty useless - apparently you feel otherwise.
    Hey, this is a chat room, and last season is barely over. Tell you what, if we ever meet, the first round is on me, paraphrasing George Patton, “one ascheloche to another.”

We're both oldtime Zags who aren't strangers to a beer now and then. There is a good chance we have already shared a round or two - and I would welcome the opportunity to do so again.

GU could finish in last place and I would still be a fan.

Doesn't mean I won't throw a post game tantrum once in awhile (if they do finish there).

What you expect anything else from someone that has two decades of emotional investment?

Realistically, I think there is a great chance they finish in the top three and my faith in GU hoops has me believing they will likely take home another trophy and get another NCAA bid.
    I miss Mike Hart