Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are the streaks over ?

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    My "one bold prediction" is the Zags will make the tournament. . .as a Play In Game participant. . .a nod to Few and a consolation prize for losing so much talent from the 2018-19 squad. They will win two games and the Sweet 16 streak will come to an end.

As you know, BOLD predictions are made the first weekend of college football season, usually the same first week of classes at GU, IOW, when the roster is set.

Perhaps if you knew the roster, given GZ's hints, your prediction would be very bold, bold in predicting they underachieve … if we assume the right players get here.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    April 29, 2016 ---- 1st time the name Jordan Mathews was mentioned on this board

April 21, 2014 ---- 1st time the name Byron Wesley was mentioned on this board

Those guys worked out okay ... and even Geno Crandall wasn't mentioned on this board until the third week of June (less than a year ago).

Per Tommy folks know about 5 percent of what's going on ...

And note ... those were the first references of those 3 guys that I could find ... I may have missed something and if so, I'll stand corrected but the bottom line is .... Zags will be okay. More than okay.
    Well, seems a few of "us" know maybe … 10-15%.

I am not one.

But, you know.

I mean, "you know."

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

If Norvell and Petrusev return we will have 7 of our Top 20 highest rated recruits ever on one team and that's not even counting Tillie if he comes back. I think we will be ok.

I love threads like this, fun to speculate. I think what can be perceived as negativity or doom and gloom, is in my perspective simply an opportunity to argue both sides. In the end, it's all opinion and we're just fans, so I just skip the comments that could potentially depress me in the off season, ha ha.

I also love streaks when my teams are in the middle of them, but streaks are also meant to be broken. So while keeping it alive in the Sweet 16 is ideal, there are things to be learned from the hardship of missing goals like that. Ask Tony Bennett. 20 years in I think the staff has a great handle on what to realistically expect from next year, but leaves a ton of room for growth, and peaking at the end of the season with younger guys, even in spite of the WCC.

Feels like the table is still set for greatness, immediate or slightly delayed.

I have no clue where all the doom and gloom has been coming from the last month or so. This is easily the most talented team in the WCC. I'm expecting a WCC title, WCC tournament title and a S16 appearance.

Sometimes I question why I follow this board......

Quote Originally Posted by zagbeliever View Post
    I'm watching "Lemony Snicket's; A Series of Unfortunate Events" on Netflix, it does wonders for your outlook. Look away, look away!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tup-5yOcJuM
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by zagbeliever View Post
    For me, it's a great way to stay in touch with old friends, while making new ones. This board has opened up opportunities to meet fellow Zags such as Abe, LIZF, and amaronizag. The pregame in Omaha set up by woohoo was epic.

For those of you visiting DFW for a sales meeting, convention, etc. shoot me a PM. I live ten minutes from the airport, and there's plenty of great watering holes nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    For me, it's a great way to stay in touch with old friends, while making new ones. This board has opened up opportunities to meet fellow Zags such as Abe, LIZF, and amaronizag. The pregame in Omaha set up by woohoo was epic.

For those of you visiting DFW for a sales meeting, convention, etc. shoot me a PM. I live ten minutes from the airport, and there's plenty of great watering holes nearby.
    I can attest to that. Met with Tex both before and after a Rangers game a couple of years ago. It is times like that, where I get to meet such great people who just happen to also love my Zags, that I appreciate this board. Although, nothing will ever compare to the epic pub crawl I did with Hondo and El Voce. Well, really El Voce. Hondo punched out after the third stop... El Voce and I drank all day long.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

I'll toss in a plug as well. Had a great time hitting a Rangers game with TZF on one trip, and another trip meeting up for some good BBQ and a trip to a local winery. Good times. I've also met some great folks at bars for game watches, and had members hook me up with tickets at the last minute for some games here in the Bay Area. Had some nice conversations with people who spent time at Bishop White Seminary, as I did, and talked about coaching volleyball with other members. Great community.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

I just don’t see it.

After Spokane 40 plus years ago, Albuquerque, Tulsa Nashville and other locations I no longer remember ... I just don’t get the TZF love fest. Sure Big D makes a great grandkid to hang with .... but he’s eventually going to get older (and most likely less cuter).

Then ... you’re stuck with TZF.

To each their own I guess. GoZags (who btw is just poking fun at his longtime friend)

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

I just don’t see it.

After Spokane 40 plus years ago, Albuquerque, Tulsa Nashville and other locations I no longer remember ... I just don’t get the TZF love fest. Sure Big D makes a great grandkid to hang with .... but he’s eventually going to get older (and most likely less cuter).

To each their own I guess. GoZags (who btw is just poking fun at his longtime friend)
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

I just don’t see it.

Zag alumni is a fraternity beyond compare, and I've found it to be a very welcoming community.

This is true. I've made a few friends from the board and connected in Vegas. Just get frustrated on occasion. I sometimes just need a hiatus when the predominant posts go negative. Although I haven't met a lot of the board members I have great respect for some of them. Others not so much.

Zag alumni is a fraternity beyond compare, and I've found it to be a very welcoming community.
    Tex, I think next year might be our year. I might head on over to the Metro-plex, and we can hit your favorite Mexican restaurant, which I look forward to since Texas invented Mexican food.

Then maybe we can carpool or tandem down to College Station (or just meet there, since it's probably easier for me to go Houston to CS.

I have always wanted to meet my friend, but now that our international recruiting has reached into Texas, I really want to learn more about your country.
    Mark Twain.

One. GonzaGAW said:
    Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    . . .my 'one bold prediction' for next year is that this in coming class 19-20, will carry the s-16 streak to 6 in a row, and then onto 7, 8 or 9, which will set the all time record for consecutive s-16's in the ncaa 64 expanded field format.

Two. Then Reno said:
    RenoZag
    My "one bold prediction" is the Zags will make the tournament. . .as a Play In Game participant. . .a nod to Few and a consolation prize for losing so much talent from the 2018-19 squad. They will win two games and the Sweet 16 streak will come to an end.

Three. Then ZagsGoZags said:
    Hi Reno,
    If we win in round of 64, we go to round of 32.
    If we win round of 32, doesn't that mean we play the next game in the Sweet 16?
    That is, if we win two then lose didn't we make the Sweet 16 that year?
    Not claiming to know, that's why I am asking.

Four. Then willandi said:
    Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    He did say the play in game.
    Five: Then ZagsGoZags is saying:
    I know. If you win the game of Round 32, you will play in the Sweet 16 game. Help me out here Reno.
    or anybody please

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    One. GonzaGAW said:
    Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    . . .my 'one bold prediction' for next year is that this in coming class 19-20, will carry the s-16 streak to 6 in a row, and then onto 7, 8 or 9, which will set the all time record for consecutive s-16's in the ncaa 64 expanded field format.

Two. Then Reno said:
    RenoZag

Three. Then ZagsGoZags said:
    Hi Reno,
    If we win in round of 64, we go to round of 32.
    If we win round of 32, doesn't that mean we play the next game in the Sweet 16?
    That is, if we win two then lose didn't we make the Sweet 16 that year?
    Not claiming to know, that's why I am asking.

Four. Then willandi said:

Five: Then ZagsGoZags is saying:
    I know. If you win the game of Round 32, you will play in the Sweet 16 game. Help me out here Reno.
    or anybody please

I think what he is saying is that they will play in the play in game, (game 1) and win, and the first round game (Game 2), and win, and lose the second round game (game 3), thus winning two games and not advancing past the round of 32.

Math is hard...so is predicting but I think Reno is right......assuming your second game is not against one of the top seeds...

I’ve always been relieved/at peace to see GU make it out of the first weekend. After that you are seeing very good teams pretty much across the board and there is no shame in losing at that point (there has been plenty of disappointment to go around, however).

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    I think the coaching staff really believes one of two things:

A. Ravet can run the point efficiently
    B. They believe they can land a grad transfer

Whatever the case is, I believe in the staff.
    While I KNOW “A” is true I would change “B” to: “They believe they can land some grad transfers.”
    Here is where GoZags said that the staff believe that Ravet can run the point effectively. Since they believe they can land some grad transfers, I interpret that to mean that the believe he can run the point whether or not the transfers show up. To do that I believe it means he starts.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

One thing I noticed observing streaks is that one begins the instant one ends. Therefore the streaks are never over.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    I think this team is definitely capable of a top 2 finish in the WCC if Few can add a piece or two. If that happens, anything can happen because they just need to win two games to go dancing and keep that streak alive.

The S-16+ streak is going to be harder to maintain, or course.
    Making the S16 will be one of my grand predictions for 19-20
    I'm really looking forward to 19-20. It'll be fun to watch a batch of new Zags play. I'm also looking forward to Kispert's play in 19-20 & any other returning Zags. I feel there's room for growth with Filip. I hope he's playing well enough to be a starter in 19-20.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Btw was on campus yesterday afternoon (and again this morning) TZF.

FWIW I’m thinking this could be a VERY good weekend for GU Men’s Basketball. Of course as always the caveat of “nothing’s in the bag until it is in the bag” should be remembered.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Please tell me the news involves a player with initials JS from Minnesota? )

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    [/B]

I think what he is saying is that they will play in the play in game, (game 1) and win, and the first round game (Game 2), and win, and lose the second round game (game 3), thus winning two games and not advancing past the round of 32.
    That was my prediction; win play in game + Round of 64 game, lose in round of 32. It's a prediction and neither a hope nor a wish. . .