Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are the streaks over ?

Cool 40% of Euro All-Star First Team

Don't recall what the summer tourney was called, but last year two of our freshman were 1st Team Euro Tournament (just like Karno & Pangos some years earlier) -- Joel & Tru. Joel redshirted then played sparingly last year as a freshman. Tru played solid ball till Killian returned. Why isn't anyone giving Joel PG credit for making that Euro tourney's All Stars?

:[
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddwell View Post
    Don't recall what the summer tourney was called, but last year two of our freshman were 1st Team Euro Tournament (just like Karno & Pangos some years earlier) -- Joel & Tru. Joel redshirted then played sparingly last year as a freshman. Tru played solid ball till Killian returned. Why isn't anyone giving Joel PG credit for making that Euro tourney's All Stars?

:[
    I have been! Joel had some flashes of really good play and a few bonehead plays, but he is still very young. This will be his 3rd year in the system, I think, and expect him to be a good back-up.

By Tru, do you mean Petrusev? I expect him to have a great year as well. To have had the learning of this last year and the whole off season knowing what he needs to improve on, beefing up and generally getting better. I think he and Timme will platoon at the Power Forward spot with Zakharov and Ballo doing so at the center, much like the Tillie/Collins, Karnowsky/J3 did.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    . . .my 'one bold prediction' for next year is that this in coming class 19-20, will carry the s-16 streak to 6 in a row, and then onto 7, 8 or 9, which will set the all time record for consecutive s-16's in the ncaa 64 expanded field format.
    My "one bold prediction" is the Zags will make the tournament. . .as a Play In Game participant. . .a nod to Few and a consolation prize for losing so much talent from the 2018-19 squad. They will win two games and the Sweet 16 streak will come to an end.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    I have been! Joel had some flashes of really good play and a few bonehead plays, but he is still very young. This will be his 3rd year in the system, I think, and expect him to be a good back-up.

By Tru, do you mean Petrusev? I expect him to have a great year as well. To have had the learning of this last year and the whole off season knowing what he needs to improve on, beefing up and generally getting better. I think he and Timme will platoon at the Power Forward spot with Zakharov and Ballo doing so at the center, much like the Tillie/Collins, Karnowsky/J3 did.
    Yes. When Heister asked Filip the correct pronunciation of his name last year, I heard "peh-TRU-shev." Filip's a TRU talent. ESPN had him as last recruiting class's 6th Best Center: http://www.espn.com/college-sports/b...nzaga-bulldogs

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

I guess it's all about a high level PG. The size and skill elsewhere is top level. Freshmen can at times play like vets like Stepp, Pangos, Sabonis , and Collins. So the youth part of it may not be an excuse. If you have a PG it cures all. Especially when you have the horses around you.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    I think the coaching staff really believes one of two things:

A. Ravet can run the point efficiently
    B. They believe they can land a grad transfer

Whatever the case is, I believe in the staff.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    While I KNOW “A” is true I would change “B” to: “They believe they can land some grad transfers.”
    Quote Originally Posted by YukonJack View Post
    I guess it's all about a high level PG. The size and skill elsewhere is top level. Freshmen can at times play like vets like Stepp, Pangos, Sabonis , and Collins. So the youth part of it may not be an excuse. If you have a PG it cures all. Especially when you have the horses around you.
    Seems like the staff believes they have a high level point guard coming in next year, and maybe a grad transfer.

Seems like the staff believes they have a high level point guard coming in next year, and maybe a grad transfer.
    Or two.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    My "one bold prediction" is the Zags will make the tournament. . .as a Play In Game participant. . .a nod to Few and a consolation prize for losing so much talent from the 2018-19 squad. They will win two games and the Sweet 16 streak will come to an end.
    Hi Reno,
    If we win in round of 64, we go to round of 32.
    If we win round of 32, doesn't that mean we play the next game in the Sweet 16?
    That is, if we win two then lose didn't we make the Sweet 16 that year?
    Not claiming to know, that's why I am asking.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    Hi Reno,
    If we win in round of 64, we go to round of 32.
    If we win round of 32, doesn't that mean we play the next game in the Sweet 16?
    That is, if we win two then lose didn't we make the Sweet 16 that year?
    Not claiming to know, that's why I am asking.
    He did say the play in game.

Oh great, we get to hear Jazz say "Few32"

Longest ever is 14. Let’s not get carried away lol
    - I said since 1985 my friend, when the tournament expanded to 64 teams (now 68).
    - that record is held by duke, 9 times from 1998 to 2006, duke also hold the second spot at 7, from 1986 to 1992.
    - no team other than duke has made 6 straight sweet sixteens since 1985, and Gonzaga has a good chance of doing so next year.....and come on if we reach 6, we know 20-21 should bring number 7........so nothing to lol about.

Top 5 recruiting class can go a long way, but not without a solid PG running the show....unless Ayayi, Foster or Ravet step it up it could be a down year...is there a NWG out there somewhere? A solid PG with experience who could play this upcoming year?
    It's What You learn AFTER You Know It All That Counts

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaZagFan View Post
    Top 5 recruiting class can go a long way, but not without a solid PG running the show....unless Ayayi, Foster or Ravet step it up it could be a down year...is there a NWG out there somewhere? A solid PG with experience who could play this upcoming year?
    I'm not the least bit worried ... see post 25 and post 32

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Hauser brothers?
    Love the zags for life

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    Hauser brothers?
    Need a PG.

Corey, Tillie, Petrusev, Norvell...………..Pretty good core and I do firmly believe they'll all be back. Things don't look so dim to me. Throw in Joel, Ravet, a pair of new PG's and those glitzy new bigs. I don't see how any streak is ended. Maybe not a 16 but I do think we'll be in the tournament and likely win the WCC. It's the offseason and it's early offseason. Keep your powder dry friends. 7 months to go......and it's all good news.

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    Hauser brothers?
    I just know (or have heard) there are multiple options ... good options. And I go back to Tommy's comment that folks know about 5 percent of what's really going on.

Zags will be okay. The staff has some choices ...

Time will tell.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

I was a cool aid person after the UNC loss...thought we'd run the table...I knew were that good and then SMC in WCC final brought me back down to earth...disappointment in EE but scit happens...

We have an excellent recruiting class of "freshman" coming in and it will take this group a significant amount of time to jell and get accustomed to D1 Bball...

Next year GU will look awesome on paper but then again the league is going to get stronger next year...SMC is going to be awfully darn good next season and SCU, IMO had a strong/young inexperienced team and they will be a tough out. Pepperdine and LMU will have almost their entire teams returning so we will be challenged. I don't think we dominate but with out OOC schedule we could well have enough time to learn and grow as a team...

If Zach and Tillie return then we should be the "leaders in the club house"

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNation View Post
    Need a PG.
    yup

My not so bold prediction are the conference winning streaks will end, i.e. we'll lose at least one game on the road. I still like our chances to win the conference title and auto bid into the Dance.

At this point, I think our ceiling is Sweet 16. Lots can (and will) happen between now and October.

I think the coaching staff really believes one of two things:

A. Ravet can run the point efficiently
    B. They believe they can land a grad transfer

Whatever the case is, I believe in the staff.
    While I KNOW “A” is true I would change “B” to: “They believe they can land some grad transfers.”
    Or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZagNation View Post
    Need a PG.
    Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    yup
    GoZags believes the staff has it covered. ME? I know very little and none of what the staff knows, so rely on those that do.

I just know (or have heard) there are multiple options ... good options. And I go back to Tommy's comment that folks know about 5 percent of what's really going on.

Zags will be okay. The staff has some choices ...

Time will tell.
    Thanks for trying to turn this negative thread around and inject some positive things that are so obvious to me. For those of you who don't know GoZags, he's one person we can trust. Take a good look at who the Zags can be next year. First, most likely Norvell, Petrusive and Tillie will return and that will give us 3 returning starters and a good bench player from a really good Gonzaga team that finished in the top 5 in the country. It gives us an experienced post player, and that's really important, and Petrusive will be a stud next year. Tillie will be a senior and has a ton of experience. Norvell is a stud guard who has started for two years and will be a star next year. Kispert has had two really good years and will be even better next year. This is a really good foundation to build another really good Zag team on.

Next year will be Ayayi's 3rd year with the Zags and I believe he's going to be pretty good next year. He has matured a lot and is ready to contribute. Ravet is the big question for most of you who are doubters. Personally, I'm tired of your doubts so I'm not adding anything more about him. If you can't believe in him that's on you. There is one open scholarship (as I said I believe that Zach will be a Zag next year) for next year. Certainly that will go to a grad transfer who is an experienced guard. Few and his staff have had great success with finding really good grad transfers. I am very excited to find out who that will be.

I'm really confident in our incoming freshmen. I'm so excited to see them play in a Zag uniform. This is the best recruiting class Gonzaga has ever had; so that's something to get excited about. There are some really good players in this class, and Mark Few and his staff are really good at bringing players together and creating a solid unit. I see no reason at all for any doubt about our team next year. It's going to be sooooooo exciting with all these new players who are really good.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Well....when we have a good/excellent point guard or two .....we won't need one….that has not happened yet....

Optimism is just as delusional as pessimism ….at this point, I don't see a replacement of equal skill and ability and experience for Clarke, Rui or Perkins...or for that matter Crandall ….even if Norvell and Tillie return (I doubt) ….I think the streaks will end.. except maybe a bid to the NCAA...

I don't worry about it for a single minute....it is just a opinion....that has no bearing on reality ...
    Last edited by bartruff1; 04-24-2019 at 07:42 AM.

April 29, 2016 ---- 1st time the name Jordan Mathews was mentioned on this board

April 21, 2014 ---- 1st time the name Byron Wesley was mentioned on this board

Those guys worked out okay ... and even Geno Crandall wasn't mentioned on this board until the third week of June (less than a year ago).

Per Tommy folks know about 5 percent of what's going on ...

And note ... those were the first references of those 3 guys that I could find ... I may have missed something and if so, I'll stand corrected but the bottom line is .... Zags will be okay. More than okay.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Are we seriously going with a doom and gloom thread? No WCC team has as much talent coming in as the Zags. If just 2 of Tille/Norvell/Petrusev come back... Zags have radically better talent than any WCC roster. Yet, here we are, less than a month after the final 4... talking about the streak of appearances ending.

SMDH.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death