Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are the streaks over ?

Default Are the streaks over ?

I get that 2020-21 is going to be stellar, but 2019-20 appears more and more depressing. I hope it's all because of these initial shocks but I dont see enough with such a young team. Assuming non come back except Petro what is reasonable outlook? This is in regards to roster and final outcome of coming season.

Do you believe Few is a hall of fame coach with a top 5 recruit class this season?
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Also we don’t even know what the final roster will be. No need to be depressed. This team will be better and better as season goes on
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

My bet? WCC regular season champs, probable WCC Tourney champs, 4 seed, make Round of 32.

I think many people on this board are going to be in for quite a shock next season to be honest. The kind of thinking I've seen around here since the end of the season is analogous to people that think the stock market is always going to go up. Unless the coaching staff finds a couple of PG/SG diamonds in the rough in the transfer and (ugh) JC markets there will be much gnashing of teeth here as an extremely young team learns to play together and win.

NO
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

We could have a rough year, but come on we play in the WCC.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    I think many people on this board are going to be in for quite a shock next season to be honest. The kind of thinking I've seen around here since the end of the season is analogous to people that think the stock market is always going to go up. Unless the coaching staff finds a couple of PG/SG diamonds in the rough in the transfer and (ugh) JC markets there will be much gnashing of teeth here as an extremely young team learns to play together and win.
    I think the opposite is true.

Not counting Tillie, but keeping Petrusev, the 4 bigs the Zags have are going to be the best frontcourt in the country. Period.

Watson, Kispert and Martynas at the 2-3 will be dynamic.

Ravet should be able to feed the post and hit the 3. He may be weak on D, but the other team will not be able to drive with the bigs.
    Foster should be able to make the passes and won't need to score, just enough to keep the others honest.
    Ayayi, if he plays like he did in the U18, in his good games, will be surprising. He just needs to be consistent.

That doesn't include Norvell, although I think he will be back, or Tillie, who I think is gone. It does include Petrusev.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quit social media. You'll be better for it.

I personally think it was a blunder to not have someone on the team last year to take over at PG this year, unless Norvell was always going to be that guy and sprung one on the staff by entering the draft. The alternative is that Ravet is more college-ready than he is given credit for, or Ayayi is more adept at PG than I thought. It is definitely a weird situation. I’m not worried about the bigs very much. The preseason could be ugly, though, as this team learns how to win.

Winning a game or two in March is my (very early) projected ceiling for this team.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    I see it much more as responsible investors having enjoyed a huge fide, knowing it's likely to drop some in price, but not panicking into selling and investing in bit coin.

They will not be top 10 next year, maybe not even top 20. I think everyone accepts that.

But the talent, raw as it is, is immense, and they will be learning together.

Add to that a WCC that has 2 new coaches at two of the most competitive teams, and some disarray in SMC in terms of who is coming in, and this team will likely have enough talent gelling at the right time to win the conference and conference tourney.

Next year, 5-8 seed.

I think that's a great season for them, while also acknowledging they'll struggle.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

IMO some people are underestimating Ravet. He's capable of running the show on the offensive end just as well as fr Pangos if need be.

The talent on this team is going to be in another stratosphere comp to the rest of the WCC, including St Marys, the only challenger. SMC has the experience advantage, but talent usually trumps experience.

7-8 seed at worst with the current roster imo.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    I personally think it was a blunder to not have someone on the team last year to take over at PG this year, unless Norvell was always going to be that guy and sprung one on the staff by entering the draft. The alternative is that Ravet is more college-ready than he is given credit for, or Ayayi is more adept at PG than I thought. It is definitely a weird situation. I’m not worried about the bigs very much. The preseason could be ugly, though, as this team learns how to win.

Winning a game or two in March is my (very early) projected ceiling for this team.
    I think the coaching staff really believes one of two things:

A. Ravet can run the point efficiently
    B. They believe they can land a grad transfer

Whatever the case is, I believe in the staff.
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

Quote Originally Posted by YukonJack View Post
    I get that 2020-21 is going to be stellar, but 2019-20 appears more and more depressing. I hope it's all because of these initial shocks but I dont see enough with such a young team. Assuming non come back except Petro what is reasonable outlook? This is in regards to roster and final outcome of coming season.
    Who is Petro?

I think this team is definitely capable of a top 2 finish in the WCC if Few can add a piece or two. If that happens, anything can happen because they just need to win two games to go dancing and keep that streak alive.

The S-16+ streak is going to be harder to maintain, or course.

On a positive note, it will be nice to watch a team that is more likely to overachieve than underachieve.

Also, streaks or no streaks, Gonzaga until the end! Who cares?!?! No one has more to supposedly "loose" than the team itself, so if by chance, the streaks do end, I'm sure those on the team and coaching staff will feel it far more than you will.

Me? Nope, GU is going strong! Best recruiting class ever, and possibly even better next year!

Funny to me, that often on this board, our own members often bring up the never-ending "Would GU's bench win the WCC or compete for the WCC title?" You all know... Comes up virtually every year. Well, maybe now we find out...

However, we will have Timme 6'9", Watson 6"9", Ravet 6'1", Ballo 6'10", Zakharov 6'11" and Arlauskas 6'7". Every other team in the WCC wishes they had ONE of those dudes!

Not to mention possible grad transfer or two.

Me, GU is gonna be fine, I don't see any streaks being broken.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    I think this team is definitely capable of a top 2 finish in the WCC if Few can add a piece or two. If that happens, anything can happen because they just need to win two games to go dancing and keep that streak alive.

The S-16+ streak is going to be harder to maintain, or course.
    I do agree about the S-16 streak, wasn't thinking of that, was more focused on the NCAA streak. My bad.

didn't we need win in WCC tourney to lock up bid in 2016? Domas Wiltjer Perk J3 Silas

next year...sure we could get bounced....but could set Zags up for huge 2021 run with Suggs and company.

- I believe the s-16 streak will continue.
    - i'll let it out of the bag now, but my 'one bold prediction' for next year is that this in coming class 19-20, will carry the s-16 streak to 6 in a row, and then onto 7, 8 or 9, which will set the all time record for consecutive s-16's in the ncaa 64 expanded field format.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    - I believe the s-16 streak will continue.
    - i'll let it out of the bag now, but my 'one bold prediction' for next year is that this in coming class 19-20, will carry the s-16 streak to 6 in a row, and then onto 7, 8 or 9, which will set the all time record for consecutive s-16's in the ncaa 64 expanded field format.
    Longest ever is 14. Let’s not get carried away lol
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    didn't we need win in WCC tourney to lock up bid in 2016? Domas Wiltjer Perk J3 Silas

next year...sure we could get bounced....but could set Zags up for huge 2021 run with Suggs and company.
    Also needed to win the WCC tourney in 2007 (11 losses) and 2011 (10 losses) to keep the streak alive ... same as '16 as you've mentioned.

The consecutive conference streak has already ended (1 behind UCLA's alltime record) ... the 11 years with an NCAA tourney win is intact as is the 5 straight Sweet 16's and beyond.

The one streak I'd like to see end is the "streak" of not being a Top Seed when the NCAA Men's Basketball opening rounds are being played at the Spokane Arena. Would love for the '20 Zags to get to play in Spokane .... but those generally happen in the years noted above ... when the Zags have to win the WCC tourney to earn their bid ...

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Minimum WCC champs, Sweet 16

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post

Good point. I left out the grad transfer option.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post

While I KNOW “A” is true I would change “B” to: “They believe they can land some grad transfers.”

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ