Thread: Upcoming NBA Draft

Default Upcoming NBA Draft

Much has been said about pros and cons, with 5 players declaring.

Here is a thread to share Mock Drafts as well as personal observations and expectations.

This one (CBS) has Brandon at #12, Rui at #14, Killian at #51 and Zach at #100.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/draft/prospect-rankings/
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

#100. Ouch. I understand the age and concern of not improving all that much for next year, but I cannot imagine what advice Zach is getting (if at all) to stay in the draft.

ESPN has Clarke at #12, Rui at #18, Tillie at #82, ZN unranked in Top 100
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Where is Petrusev ranked?
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    Where is Petrusev ranked?
    I tried finding him, but haven't seen him on ANY list...
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Quote Originally Posted by JAGzag View Post
    #100. Ouch. I understand the age and concern of not improving all that much for next year, but I cannot imagine what advice Zach is getting (if at all) to stay in the draft.
    If anything he gets to workout with best in country for a few weeks
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    If anything he gets to workout with best in country for a few weeks
    Not necessarily. Declaring does not = invitation to NBA Draft Combine.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Not necessarily. Declaring does not = invitation to NBA Draft Combine.
    True. That will probably be the perceived top 80 or so. As pointed out in the Portsmouth thread about Josh, there have been 2 of those 40 that have received the invitation. There also is the Elite camp the 3 days before. Those are the G league and pro prospects that have not been invited to the combine.

Zach COULD somehow get invited, but I don't see it. What he will get will be the chance to talk to teams and work out for them after the combine. That is on each teams dollar and is at the discretion of the teams.
    I don't know if any player has declared and not received any workouts.

Could it be that Zach wasn’t expected to declare and therefore the mock drafts haven’t adequately evaluated him? I think Zach gets close to the second round. He’s a fringe pick. 100 is way off imo.

Zach has 2 semesters left to finish his Degree.

What is more valuable long term, a late 2nd Rd pick, or receiving another free year to stay accountable and finish your degree.

A year at GU is around $60,000+ these days.

Some say they will finish it later, on their own dime, yet it rarely happens. There are exceptions.

If Zach were to snag an ever increasing 2 way contract, like J3, he would be getting around 500,000 per year.

League minimums only account/apply for full time contracted players who stay all season. And play.

In the short term, easy answer is go for it, and hope some team gives him a shot on his shooting alone.

Many players are 26 or 27 when the next big thing comes along and they are ushered out of the league. Even the best prospects. Or after their initial rookie contract expires, most arent worth paying anymore unless you're 6'11", even harder for guards to stick.

A degree arms Norvell for life. He could be 25 and out of a job, yet if he actually finishes his degree, he will have decades of opportunities.

Otherwise he could be paying $60-70K to finish his degree in 3 or 4 yrs, which isn't likely.

Graduate, refine versatile PG skills, work on dribble drive game more, and show you can play 2 positions at the next level.

Coach Michaelsen said just last week he would be playing some PG next season, which would vault his stock.

Especially since 6'5" pure SG's dont exist much anymore, as these 6'8" wings keep improving their shooting and moving to off guard at next level.

Quote Originally Posted by Therunner View Post
    Some say they will finish it later, on their own dime, yet it rarely happens. There are exceptions.

Not sure that is accurate with the GU kids, runner. Although my info is somewhat dated I will share this. My son graduated in '06 & my daughter in '07. Between the 2 of them there were 3 former players (all starters that went on to play professionally) that walked that hadn't taken the court for the Zags in 6-8 yrs. It is my "impression" that that is still happening.
    This ain't rocket surgery!

Saw one yesterday that had Brandon at a 10 and they had Rui at 14.

rui keeps showing up at 14,
    I have a question for those who know -
    Is there a big drop off between 14 and 15?
    Are the top 14 the lottery picks, and after that contracts are more on an individual basis?
    sorry for my ignorance, but hey, I want to learn, and that's why I am asking
    Is there a guaranteed package for the privileged lottery picks?

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    rui keeps showing up at 14,
    I have a question for those who know -
    Is there a big drop off between 14 and 15?
    Are the top 14 the lottery picks, and after that contracts are more on an individual basis?
    sorry for my ignorance, but hey, I want to learn, and that's why I am asking
    Is there a guaranteed package for the privileged lottery picks?

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/06/21/ro...they-make-pick

Here is the rookie pay scale for 2019-2020. https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/in...kie_scale/2020

The one posted above is for 2018-2019.

Quote Originally Posted by Therunner View Post
    Zach has 2 semesters left to finish his Degree.

What is more valuable long term, a late 2nd Rd pick, or receiving another free year to stay accountable and finish your degree.

A year at GU is around $60,000+ these days.

If Zach were to snag an ever increasing 2 way contract, like J3, he would be getting around 500,000 per year.

League minimums only account/apply for full time contracted players who stay all season. And play.

In the short term, easy answer is go for it, and hope some team gives him a shot on his shooting alone.

Many players are 26 or 27 when the next big thing comes along and they are ushered out of the league. Even the best prospects. Or after their initial rookie contract expires, most arent worth paying anymore unless you're 6'11", even harder for guards to stick.

A degree arms Norvell for life. He could be 25 and out of a job, yet if he actually finishes his degree, he will have decades of opportunities.

Otherwise he could be paying $60-70K to finish his degree in 3 or 4 yrs, which isn't likely.

Graduate, refine versatile PG skills, work on dribble drive game more, and show you can play 2 positions at the next level.

Coach Michaelsen said just last week he would be playing some PG next season, which would vault his stock.

Especially since 6'5" pure SG's dont exist much anymore, as these 6'8" wings keep improving their shooting and moving to off guard at next level.
    The way the game is going, it makes me wonder if we'll soon have 7 foot wings!

233 Early Entrants declared for the 2019 NBA Draft - 175 from the college ranks.
    So many of these guys will return to school. Those upset just need to ride this out until after the Draft as even those who stay-in and go undrafted can now return to school (within certain parameters)

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...s-declare-2019

By the way - where all the folks from a few months ago that were adamant that Clarke would in no way be a lottery pick and had no chance to be drafted ahead of Rui? There were allot of you. A few of us were resoundingly mocked in Dec/Jan for saying he was a likely lottery pick and even had Top 10 potential. C'mon admit it!

I don't know but, I am "adamant" that no matter what happens "I LUV MY ZAGS"! Sorry I had to do it.....

thanks for the link ZagCEO, very interesting.
    the pay scale is graduated without big steps for certain segments,
    so is the 'lottery pick' the first 14 of the 30 in the first round?, or does lottery pick exist anymore?
    if lottery pick does not mean a special segment of income, what is the advantage of being a lottery pick?

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    thanks for the link ZagCEO, very interesting.
    the pay scale is graduated without big steps for certain segments,
    so is the 'lottery pick' the first 14 of the 30 in the first round?, or does lottery pick exist anymore?
    if lottery pick does not mean a special segment of income, what is the advantage of being a lottery pick?
    Basically, the lottery is the 14 teams that did not make the playoffs get to roll the dice to see what order they get to pick in, with the 3 worst regular season records guaranteed of picking no worse than 5th.
    So the lottery is more for the teams than the players. You are right, it doesn't look like any huge incremental jumps between any 2 spots.

I think the big thing is that any player taken in the 1st round has a guaranteed 3 year contract (saying that from memory). 2nd round picks MAY be offered a contract with guarantees, but teams don't have to do that.

https://www.nba.com/nba-draft-lottery-explainer