Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Norvell Declares

Renewal. Move on. Turn the page. Maybe better players coming in.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Oh I am sure you will find a new whipping boy......

One of the best posts I've read in this entire thread. The season has ended a long time ago, and as you say, Jazz, it's all about renewal now. The spirit, the energy, the "burning fire" of Gonzaga basketball is all about renewal. And it is this renewal, year by year, that has made this basketball program so great. The beauty of Gonzaga basketball to me is waiting to see the "new bloods" put on a Zag uniform and go out and show the world what Gonzaga basketball is all about. This (and others) have been so negative and filled with doubts about Gonzaga basketball, and in that sense doubts about all that Mark Few and his staff have done. Yes, Jazz. Please! Turn the page. Let go! Stop trying to act like you (the negative writers) have any control or say in what Norvell or Tillie will do. Please stop criticizing Petrusive and acting like he's not coming back to Gonzaga to play basketball. He flat out told Few that he is coming back.

And yes, who knows? Maybe the players coming in may be better. You can bank on one thing. They are going to be really good. Why do I say this? Because I can read and I can see. I do do read about the players and I do view and analyze video. And I can add, I trust what Mark Few and Tommy Loyd think.

Jazz. I love how you can at times, say things in two small, simple sentences what takes me five paragraphs to write.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by West Side Lady View Post
    Then why not also entertain the possibility that he returns and ends up injured (like Tillie) for much of the season and the team doesn't win the national championship?
    Why is that hypothetical scenario never considered in the same paragraphs that posit a season where he comes back and is the face of college basketball?
    That's fine, I'll entertain that possibility right now. He gets hurt, don't win it all, and he still gets a job to play overseas and is in the same position he is today. Low risk.

But boy was the reward sky high.

Typed something out... thought better of it... deleted it and typed this instead.

You should give that a try.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Typed something out... thought better of it... deleted it and typed this instead.

You should give that a try.
    I've done that a few times, wished I'd done it more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooray4Daye&Gray View Post
    Have you and MileHigh factored in the lifelong earning power of the player that leads Gonzaga basketball to its first championship? Or the marketability of his brand being front and center for an entire year of college basketball combined with his engaging smile and personality?

Shabazz Napier was drafted late 1st round after winning a championship his senior year, and just finished his 5th year in the NBA. Nigel could have been a backup PG in the NBA and earned an NBA pension. It would have been worth the "risk" of losing one year of earning power overseas, because even if the Zags didn't win it all and he ended up exactly where he is now, he would have been backed by a stronger brand and increased fame/following.
    In 17-18 NWG played on a Euro League team and had a phenomenal season for a rookie. That is exponentially better preparation and opportunity to display ones skills than playing another year of college basketball. Despite how well he did, and how much improvement he made, the Jazz (and the other 29 NBA teams)still didnt feel he was good enough to make their 15 man roster so they recommended that he spend another year in Europe, and come try summer league again this summer.

If he didnt improve his desirability to the NBA playing in the 2nd best pro league on the planet what makes you think h would have done it playing another year of college?

Quote Originally Posted by MileHigh View Post
    In 17-18 NWG played on a Euro League team and had a phenomenal season for a rookie. That is exponentially better preparation and opportunity to display ones skills than playing another year of college basketball. Despite how well he did, and how much improvement he made, the Jazz (and the other 29 NBA teams)still didnt feel he was good enough to make their 15 man roster so they recommended that he spend another year in Europe, and come try summer league again this summer.

If he didnt improve his desirability to the NBA playing in the 2nd best pro league on the planet what makes you think h would have done it playing another year of college?
    I could not agree more and in addition he made about $200,000...and is in constant contact with the Jazz who monitor his every game.....in addition he says in a interview with the Salt Lake paper that he is enjoying playing in Belgrade and getting better as a player…." It is like playing against West Virginia every game " .

I believe his success has led to a multi year multi million dollar contract to play in Greece...

Plus a Wooden=Priceless......You're wasting your time, Hooray. Minds are made up.
    jazz, I hear what you are saying about the accolades (AA, Wooden, etc) but that is stuff our generation found important, but the current generation seems to not care so much. There are so many different all american teams and player of the year awards anyway it is hard to even keep up. They seem to be way more about the here and now, and don't think much about their legacy.

In some ways it is a much more pragmatic way to approach it, since awards and honors dont really translate to NBA jobs. On the other hand, when they are 45 years old and retired from the game that Wooden award might be something they could cherish for the rest of their lives.

I really don't get the need to trash our players in this program. Like seriously what is the reason behind it?

Whatever the final decision is we should be happy for this young man and be thankful for the blood, sweat, and tears he put into Gonzaga basketball.

It gets tiring seeing the same people over and over just be completely negative towards our players.

Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
    I really don't get the need to trash our players in this program. Like seriously what is the reason behind it?

Whatever the final decision is we should be happy for this young man and be thankful for the blood, sweat, and tears he put into Gonzaga basketball.

It gets tiring seeing the same people over and over just be completely negative towards our players.
    use the ignore feature...good coping skills tool

Stay on a topic long enough, things will get very negative...…...this is what's going on right now. If the issue of Snax leaving is cause hard feeling because of comments by some, stop the comments. We should...this thread serves no purpose anymore.....except discord. Snax sounds like he's leaving. More power to him. No abandonment issues here. I don't think he's got the skills to make a good living as a professional player but that doesn't matter. He's made his choice. We have great kids coming. I don't see any real reason to let this thread drag on...he's gone and nothing good will come of a rehash after 9 pages of comments...some good and some not. I'd like our offseason to be as peaceful as last year
    s offseason with no big fights over things we don't control. We have 6 months till next season...…… limit the "snitty" comments. Why? because they don't matter.