Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 212

Thread: Norvell Declares

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Section 116 View Post
    From the link:

    "Zach has been an absolute joy to coach and a tremendous asset to this program," Gonzaga Head Coach Mark Few said. "As with all of our guys that go through this process, we will help provide accurate information to Zach from the correct people to assist him in making the best decision."
    Norvell has not yet determined his final status. As in years past, players can submit paperwork to receive evaluations from the NBA and participate – if invited – in the NBA Draft Combine. At this time, Norvell plans to utilize the current rules in place. He has until May 29 to make a final decision as to whether he wishes to remain in the draft or return for a redshirt junior season at GU.
    I always expected Norvell to come back and assume a new leadership role-- one that puts him in position to be the number one or two option on offense, and perhaps the primary ball-handler. I was looking forward to seeing him expand his playmaking role and create more for others; he has shown good feel at times for passing and creating for others off the dribble. He is more than just a shooting guard. His declaration for the draft is surprising, and I would think it was just an information-gathering thing to see what he needs to work on, a la JWIII, if not for the unknowns with this team moving into next year. He has seen so much success and may not want to endure a different kind of season where they will be breaking in a new front court and will be playing with an inexperienced point guard.

    My guess is that he comes back, but that might be more wishful thinking than anything...

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    6,422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    From the link:





    I always expected Norvell to come back and assume a new leadership role-- one that puts him in position to be the number one or two option on offense, and perhaps the primary ball-handler. I was looking forward to seeing him expand his playmaking role and create more for others; he has shown good feel at times for passing and creating for others off the dribble. He is more than just a shooting guard. His declaration for the draft is surprising, and I would think it was just an information-gathering thing to see what he needs to work on, a la JWIII, if not for the unknowns with this team moving into next year. He has seen so much success and may not want to endure a different kind of season where they will be breaking in a new front court and will be playing with an inexperienced point guard.

    My guess is that he comes back, but that might be more wishful thinking than anything...
    That is my thoughts and hopes as well.

    Improve his handles and improve both shot selection and shooting. He potentially could move into the first round with one more year.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    766

    Default

    I love Zack. He is really exciting to watch and can scorch it when he gets hot. He can change games in a lot of ways. He has a great future ahead, whether that future holds one more year at GU or not. I'll always follow his career and be thankful for his time here. Great kid, great family, great Zag. Best of everything to you Zack, however it turns out this year.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amaronizag View Post
    I love Zack. He is really exciting to watch and can scorch it when he gets hot. He can change games in a lot of ways. He has a great future ahead, whether that future holds one more year at GU or not. I'll always follow his career and be thankful for his time here. Great kid, great family, great Zag. Best of everything to you Zack, however it turns out this year.
    Me too....

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    2,839

    Default

    I love ZN but he has about 0% chance of being drafted. Maybe he can get a camp invite, hit a hot streak and get signed but unlikely. He can make some $ overseas but if the NBA is truly his dream as he says, he would come back and fine tune his game.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,141

    Default

    Tillie has got to prove to NBA scouts he can stay healthy. That can only be proven by playing a full season at Gonzaga. I wouldn't dare draft him, even with the 58th pick, unless I saw a full season of him being healthy.

    I am not convinced that this Norvell thing is permanent. Despite the "permanent-like" announcement.

    If Norvell bolts for sure, you might see two grad transfer guards. Or this thing about Dominick Harris reclassifying to 2019 might be more real than some might think. People can piss and moan, but it's happening more & more within college basketball

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    162

    Default

    Norvell has been mocked in quite a few second rounds.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    Norvell has been mocked in quite a few second rounds.
    Well that’s not very nice!

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    6,422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    Well that’s not very nice!
    That was my first thought as well.

    Have any of the board members that actively follow NBA basketball seen any of the mock drafts that have Norvell going in the draft, in either round?
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Tri-Cities
    Posts
    1,916

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    That was my first thought as well.

    Have any of the board members that actively follow NBA basketball seen any of the mock drafts that have Norvell going in the draft, in either round?
    Yes, I've seen his name (along with Tillie's) on Sam Vencie's (??) board that he does for The Athletic. Both were second round picks - in the 40s. I even posted a link to it here a couple of months ago. Here it is again from March 1st:

    https://theathletic.com/843963/2019/...0-version-3-0/
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

    ~ Desiderius Erasmus

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    On an island that is long
    Posts
    12,628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    Well that’s not very nice!
    But factual. We shouldn't be jumping on each other over stating actual facts. If you can find ANY mock that has him first round, then please share it.

    That aside.... Look at it this way...second round means they see potential but needs work. I'd say if he weren't showing up in the second round at all then he shouldn't declare. This is a perfect chance for him to see what they see as needing to be worked on. Listen, if he gets hints of 1st round, he'll likely stay in, but this is honestly the smartest thing in the world for him to do. I would not be remotely surprised if the coaching staff recommended it to him.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

    "Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

    Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

    2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    On an island that is long
    Posts
    12,628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezag View Post
    I love ZN but he has about 0% chance of being drafted. Maybe he can get a camp invite, hit a hot streak and get signed but unlikely. He can make some $ overseas but if the NBA is truly his dream as he says, he would come back and fine tune his game.
    And he likely will. He is doing what he should do... finding out what the NBA wants him to work on.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

    "Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

    Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

    2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    319

    Default

    I remember JW3 doing this, getting the feedback, and coming back to make himself an NBA player. I am guessing that’s the play here.

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    16,326

    Default

    Every day 2 or 3 players declare pushing ZN down the list.

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Corky View Post
    I remember JW3 doing this, getting the feedback, and coming back to make himself an NBA player. I am guessing that’s the play here.
    This exactly IMO.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Every day 2 or 3 players declare pushing ZN down the list.
    Yup
    I am working on being a more all around square.

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Corky View Post
    I remember JW3 doing this, getting the feedback, and coming back to make himself an NBA player. I am guessing that’s the play here.
    Did he send out a "presser" like ZN?
    I am working on being a more all around square.

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,593

    Default

    They need to shorten the time between when you can declare to when you can withdrawal...not overly fair to teams who need to know if they need to replace you. For the most part it looks like any player who has received a peep of potential at the next level declares.

    ZN has mediocre handles at best and generally requires volume shots to get hot...I mean I get it, get paid and i don't begrudge someone for wanting that, this is more of a rant on the system in place where false hope has players making "hopeful" decisions as opposed to taking practical steps in a life growth process
    I am working on being a more all around square.

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagsker View Post
    Did he send out a "presser" like ZN?
    But all the cool people are doing it!

    Screw it, I’ll say it, prefaced by a big IF he makes it permanent, it’s another example of a history of not very good decision making that we see from him on the court.

    I get testing the waters, seeing what it might take, I expect that, but his presser like rui and clarke did makes it seem pretty permanent. Either way, Good luck to him.

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    On an island that is long
    Posts
    12,628

    Default

    Presser or no. Everything I have seen says no agent... so testing the waters for now. Better to do the presser now rather than doing it post final decision. Personally I am not reading all that much into it
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

    "Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

    Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

    2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    16,326

    Default

    Agree. Headline should have been “Norvell goes for his.”


    Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    But all the cool people are doing it!

    Screw it, I’ll say it, prefaced by a big IF he makes it permanent, it’s another example of a history of not very good decision making that we see from him on the court.

    I get testing the waters, seeing what it might take, I expect that, but his presser like rui and clarke did makes it seem pretty permanent. Either way, Good luck to him.

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    17,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Agree. Headline should have been “Norvell goes for his.”
    Well, except unless he's just testing things out, but got a little ahead of himself in the press release bc, really, he's only much seen it "how it's done" from people that DO go, and he figures it's always okay to come back and say "Will you have me?" ("Yes") so ….

    If he hasn't hired an agent, then I'd say he's making a prudent move. Because there's no conceivable way someone has made up their mind but is resisting hiring an agent.

    If he hears "We're drafting you in the late first from 3-4 teams" then he probably ought to do it. I just don't see how that'd happen, but what do I know?

    I know I want him to come back. I know I am fine with him making the "right call" either way. But we have seen some "mistakes" along the way, so I just hope he's not one of them.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Tri-Cities
    Posts
    1,916

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Agree. Headline should have been “Norvell goes for his.”
    Is there a reason he shouldn't 'go for his'? People playing elite sports have a relatively short amount of time to make money in their careers... most are done by their mid-30s. I don't blame him at all for checking this out and making a choice for himself and his family.

    Good luck, Zack!!
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

    ~ Desiderius Erasmus

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    4 miles from MAC
    Posts
    3,877

    Default

    I'm with JP on this one:
    My guess is that he comes back, but that might be more wishful thinking than anything...

  25. #75

    Default

    The kid is an academic Junior, been in the program 3 years. If he was going to improve drastically handling the ball and taking better shots it should have already happened. I don't think we would see huge improvements in his game if he came back. And then next year he would be a year older and still have the same problems he has now. I think right now is the top of his draft ceiling. And if he can turn that into a 2nd round pick good for him. If he decides to come back good for us.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •