Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Norvell Declares

Novell told ESPN he plans to sign with an agent and is "seriously considering" staying in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by zag67 View Post
    If he does leave, then next year will be a "rebuild" versus are normal retool an existing team. The start of next year could be tough, but by year end they could be very solid. The experience of Kispert and Petrusev will be needed to hold them together in the beginning. Also you have to believe that Foster and Ayayi have gained experience this year that will help next year.

First I am hoping that we gain a good grad transfer point guard to organize them. This will help the transition.

The team would then look like:

PG - Grad transfer, Ravet, Foster

SG/SF - Kispert, Ayayi, Ariauskas, Watson

PF - Timme, Watson,

C - Petrusev, Bello, Zakharov,

But they should be fun to watch them grow.
    If ZN is truly gone I think we end up with 2 grad transfers (or a transfer eligible immediately like potentially Jenkins) both of which will be guards.

A lineup of;

PG: A&M Transfer Gildner?
    SG: Jenkins
    SF: Kispert
    PF/C: Tillie
    PF/C: Petro
    With Watson, Ravet and our stable of blue chip bigs off the bench, that’s a lineup that should be Top 25. If Tillie leaves, insert your favorite Frosh in his spot and still a team that should make the tourney at the least.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Novell told ESPN he plans to sign with an agent and is "seriously considering" staying in the draft.
    He would be foolish to not take advantage of the opportunity. He will be evaluated and examined and given advice by the coaches of those he hopes to join.

If he is seriously considering staying in the draft, it also means he might not. I would assume it would depend on what he is told.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    No “official” word on Tillie declaring...speculation it is...

I mentioned in another thread that if he didn’t have a super Tournament then it would be unlikely he’d get drafted...still think he’ll wind overseas next year.

I think it’s going to be really difficult for the Zags to get to the dance, losing six of their top seven players. If we do make it to the dance, then it will be IMO Coach Few & the Staff’s best coaching!
    There’s a few teams over the past 20 years that snuck in either being one of the last in or winning the WCC tournament because it was the only path to get in. Next year’s team has more talent than those other teams...

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    If i am reading the tea leaves correctly, the responses from his GU teammates throughout social media sure indicate he is a goner.

Many "go get that bag" comments or something along those lines don't seem to indicate that people who would know where Zack's mind is, of a kid returning.
    I hear ya and saw the same posts. But at the same time if it was your buddy what else do you say? “Go get that feedback”?

Scared for the kid and others who were talked into the draft then On draft day they come up zeroes . Ad advice from some idiot. So he’s got. O scholarship and no degree. I just don’t think he’s ready for anything ur college ball. I didn’t think he was unhappy here.
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Maybe drafteable, if there was a 3d round.

True to his style, he’s getting his. But at 37% from LD with no discernible handle can’t see him the league. No one got a longer leash from Few, no one.

If he gets picked in the first half of the second round he'll get a decent contract. After that, all bets are off and it could be a two way contract, non guaranteed contract, D League, or NWG-special.

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    If he gets picked in the first half of the second round he'll get a decent contract. After that, all bets are off and it could be a two way contract, non guaranteed contract, D League, or NWG-special.
    Goss was 3x the player and ended up in outer Slobovia.

Zags avoided this kind of stuff for a LONG time. It wasn't that long ago that Ammo and Daye were the only guys that declared w/ eligibility left. Then Olynk, and a bit later Sabonis. Seems like ever since Domas it's become a lot more common. GU is finally living the way most of the rest of college hoops teams have been. No putting the genie back in the bottle now. I think a combination of them getting more talent, plus just about everybody is declaring early these days, whether they project as a draft pick or not. Tres Tinkle and Ethan Thompson from Oregon St. have both declared to put it in some perspective. Not sure either of them are NBA guys.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaCoyote View Post
    3 gone, 1 to go and it’s a whole new Gonzaga show!
    Not at all surprised...what would surprise me...….. would be if Tillie stayed......

Bingo

Great perspective Cat. But the NBA didn’t expand so where do these kids think they’re gonna play? G league? Europe? Asia? They’re all Bridgeport to the NBA’S Broadway.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Zags avoided this kind of stuff for a LONG time. It wasn't that long ago that Ammo and Daye were the only guys that declared w/ eligibility left. Then Olynk, and a bit later Sabonis. Seems like ever since Domas it's become a lot more common. GU is finally living the way most of the rest of college hoops teams have been. No putting the genie back in the bottle now. I think a combination of them getting more talent, plus just about everybody is declaring early these days, whether they project as a draft pick or not. Tres Tinkle and Ethan Thompson from Oregon St. have both declared to put it in some perspective. Not sure either of them are NBA guys.

Good luck, Zach! I've enjoyed watching you play and hope you enjoy wherever your journey takes you next.
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Great perspective Cat. But the NBA didn’t expand so where do these kids think they’re gonna play? G league? Europe? Asia? They’re all Bridgeport to the NBA’S Broadway.
    My thoughts exactly - does anyone know if there is a list online of total declarees? It seems like it must be in the hundreds!

That's a question I've asked as well. Don't have an answer.

"signing with an agent" doesn't mean what it used to.

But, the message to teammates and stuff? Sure seems he has his mind made up ….

Wish him nothing but the best. Problem is, that I truly believe "the best" is coming back to improve his overall position. He is one that IMO could go "up" in the draft if the development is there.

Sigh. I worry he's being talked into this by someone who A) telling him what he's desperate to hear, and B) has absolutely nothing to lose ...unlike Norvelle.

Hope this works out, one way or another, want what's best for him.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

He is in Belgrade making $130,000/year..... says he is enjoying it...... and he says ….getting better playing against much better players.....that sounds like a much better deal than playing in Spokane for nothing.... still under the watchful eye of the Jazz..

If he is ever going to play in the NBA he has definitely improved his chances by playing in Europe...imho of course,....he had nothing to gain by playing another year of college basketball.....and neither does Zack...

Good luck and thanks to Norvell.
    Only thing I can figure is he assumes playing on a lower ranked team will get less visibility, even though he would be the main scoring option.
    Must have come as a surprise to the staff too, given Bmic's quote the other day about Norvell giving us some play at the PG position next year.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    He is in Belgrade making $130,000/year..... says he is enjoying it...... and he says ….getting better playing against much better players.....that sounds like a much better deal than playing in Spokane for nothing.... still under the watchful eye of the Jazz..

If he is ever going to play in the NBA he has definitely improved his chances by playing in Europe...imho of course,....he had nothing to gain by playing another year of college basketball.....and neither does Zack...
    You seriously think that there is nothing Norvell could gain by coming back and playing another year? I mean if you want to wish him well that is great but there is nothing to be gained by coming back and playing another year? Really??

Belgrade 100k. Wooden priceless. Belgrade wound always have been there. He himself admits a mistake not staying but Bart knows best

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    Here is the dope on 2nd round picks

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports....ly-high-rates/

Of the 132 college players selected in the second round of the last six NBA drafts, 91 of them — or 68.9 percent — received at least a one-year guaranteed NBA contract, meaning they had at least one season where they made the NBA’s minimum salary. This past season, the NBA minimum for a rookie was $815,615, a number that will continue to rise as the NBA’s salary cap rises.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Belgrade 100k. Wooden priceless. Belgrade wound always have been there. He himself admits a mistake not staying but Bart knows best
    You know Zazz you can make the same points without being such a jerk.....Bart only has a opinion, he never claimed to know best... I am getting my info on Williams Goss from a interview by Jay Drew in the Salt Lake Tribune....The Jazz have a option him and follow his progress.

These are the same old tired arguments we have every year at this time so I will spare you any more opinions....in the name of civility.

I am skeptical of Norvell staying in the draft after he gets his evaluations from the NBA. However, there is one other potential angle to this. If he is close to graduating he may want to play professionally no matter (full time without school) what as a way to move forward. Draft status may not be as big of a concern and he may be thinking he may have reached his ceiling already. We will see what happens at the deadline for opting back in.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    "signing with an agent" doesn't mean what it used to.

But, the message to teammates and stuff? Sure seems he has his mind made up ….

Wish him nothing but the best. Problem is, that I truly believe "the best" is coming back to improve his overall position. He is one that IMO could go "up" in the draft if the development is there.

Sigh. I worry he's being talked into this by someone who A) telling him what he's desperate to hear, and B) has absolutely nothing to lose ...unlike Norvelle.

Hope this works out, one way or another, want what's best for him.
    Yep. My thoughts exactly.