Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Norvell Declares

wow that was a great thread to read through

my $.02 opinion add would be that Zach needs more maturity in his offensive game than anything else.

what does that mean? more trust in his teammates and team structure offensively instead of settling for early jacks. it's like a high school look when he does that, and I get that he makes some and has throughout his life, but now to make those impactful shots there are 5 others out there who can too, and it's about working it together. Zach does that too, and shows he gets it, but he also goes solo and kind of rogue with some of the early contested jacks, what I would call immature looks. The game kind of goes all or nothing with those specific shots, they are all or nothing looks, and he takes a lot of them. Can't believe he'd be allowed to take those in the NBA early in the shot clock like that, but maybe an secondary option after the ball rotates through the main options and he's alone opposite

where this mental/emotional understanding happens for him, that balance between aggression and out of control, I don't know, but I've loved watching him play for the Zags and rooting for him

Well, he got invited to the combine:

Jim Meehan
    ‏ @SRJimm

Jim Meehan Retweeted Zachary Norvell

Norvell apparently received one of 80 combine invites
    Zachary Norvell
    ‏ @ZachN_23

See you there! #NbaCombine ����
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Congrats to ZN! Good for him.

Wow! Super!

Congrats to ZN.

Yes, staying one more year may or may not improve ZN's draft potential. If he stays another year he may be risking injury and the subsequent dollars that he could have had this upcoming year in the NBA/G-League or Europe. He can always come back and finish his degree at a later date. All very true statements and worthy of serious consideration.

The one thing that turning pro does not offer is the comradery of his college team. The college experience. As Kelly Olynyk stated in his letter to the Zags declaring for the draft, the NBA is a job. 82 games a year is a grind and the season is long. You will never have the type of relationships with your pro teammates that you have with your college teammates. Kelly said that if he had a chance to do it over again, he would have stayed for his senior year.

You have plenty of years to work. Most of us will put in around 50+ years in the workplace before we get a chance to retire. You rarely get a chance to go back and just be a college kid and especially be the BMOC.

Wishing ZN the best at the combine, but don't be worried about coming back and enjoying your senior year as a Zag. You will not regret it.

ZagDad

Good Luck Zach.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    Congrats to ZN.

Yes, staying one more year may or may not improve ZN's draft potential. If he stays another year he may be risking injury and the subsequent dollars that he could have had this upcoming year in the NBA/G-League or Europe. He can always come back and finish his degree at a later date. All very true statements and worthy of serious consideration.

The one thing that turning pro does not offer is the comradery of his college team. The college experience. As Kelly Olynyk stated in his letter to the Zags declaring for the draft, the NBA is a job. 82 games a year is a grind and the season is long. You will never have the type of relationships with your pro teammates that you have with your college teammates. Kelly said that if he had a chance to do it over again, he would have stayed for his senior year.

You have plenty of years to work. Most of us will put in around 50+ years in the workplace before we get a chance to retire. You rarely get a chance to go back and just be a college kid and especially be the BMOC.

Wishing ZN the best at the combine, but don't be worried about coming back and enjoying your senior year as a Zag. You will not regret it.

ZagDad
    Great post, all very true.

I also heard Olynyk would have stayed another year if given another chance, and tells others the same.

Not sure about anyone other early entrants, yet was told by several people NWG wishes he would have stayed and played with his brothers another year as well.

Everyone has different mindset yet those two are great examples.

Have a feeling we have seen the last of Norvell though.

On the other hand, Tillie might surprise us, and return for another season. He has a real chance/shot to become a lottery pick, while Zach will always be a 2nd Rd kind of ceiling.

But I could see an NBA team falling in love with Tillie's potential, and at least guarantee him a 2nd Rd selection

Nostalgia doesn't pay the bills...it evaporates as the real world dawns..... .you don't have 50 years to play basketball at a elite level..

Go for it and good luck...

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Nostalgia doesn't pay the bills...it evaporates as the real world dawns..... .you don't have 50 years to play basketball at a elite level..

Go for it and good luck...
    Olynyk speaks from experience, something you and I don't have.

If you or your family need the money go for it.

If you or your family don't need the money this year, you can't go back if you turn pro, but you can always turn pro next year. The money will still be there.

Wishing ZN the best of luck no matter what his final decision is.

ZagDad

Yes....and when I get bored, I play in the woods always on the lookout for Captain Hook ….

Yes....and when I get bored, I play in the woods always on the lookout for Captain Hook ….
    My grandson hid from him at Disneyland. I asked him why. "Because he's mean" Haha

" The money will still be there."

Maybe, Maybe not. This life offers no guarantees.

Death and taxes....

Death and taxes....
    Best not to get political.

Unfortunately you have to grow up and Captain Hook is always lurking.....In my 80+ years I have made it through more than a couple dozen new normals and learned early on......that the yearning for a simpler and carefree time wouldn't change a diaper....
    Last edited by bartruff1; 04-27-2019 at 10:01 PM.

The Zags lose senior guards Josh Perkins and Geno Crandall, and there are growing indications that Zach Norvell Jr. will remain in the NBA draft. Norvell apparently received an invitation to the NBA draft combine next month in his hometown of Chicago, tweeting Saturday: “See you there #NBACombine.”
    http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...as-am-grad-tr/

He’s one of 80 invited, why does this make it more likely for him to stay in the draft??

OT -- did Tillie rec an invite to Combine?

IF you don't rec an invite usually means no NBA team intends to draft you in that particular class, or at least no draftable grade for that year.

There are 80 players INVITED to NBA combine, and only 60 are drafted. This year is the most they have ever invited to Combine, and hope many realize the change. Its important. In previous years, a majority of invitees were drafted, now 1/4 won't be drafted. They need to keep this in mind given the new early entrant rules, which I feel will screw-over more hopeful prospects than ever before.

Very rare a player who isn't invited to Combine is drafted in that same year, the rare instances are some international prospects (although most still attend), and 3 or 4 prospects who have had off-the-chart workouts.

Guessing Meehan tipping his hand with comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Guessing Meehan tipping his hand with comment.
    People here want to believe he’s coming back. And he could. It’s not likely based on what I’ve heard, though, and I know the staff is preparing as if he he’ll stay in the draft.

I think people (self-included) are taking this one especially hard for 3 major reasons:

1. It was unanticipated or at least not discussed among fans so we weren't prepared to see him go.
    2. We REALLY need guys who can play the 1 or 2 next season.
    3. Norvell still plays like the brash/fearless/sometime-foolish bulldog "pup" that stepped onto the court as a freshman, not a mature veteran. His mentality/game seems like it would benefit from learning, maturing, and leading at GU another year. (this one's pretty vague, I know). I don't see Rui or Clarke's personal mentalities or "game wisdom" improving if they stayed.

Norvell checked out halfway through the season. Likely when Few quite wisely reined in his shot avalanche a bit.

Hold on, Raise. There are tons of players who steer clear of the combine. You need to calculate Norvell’s odds by adding them in as well.

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    OT -- did Tillie rec an invite to Combine?

IF you don't rec an invite usually means no NBA team intends to draft you in that particular class, or at least no draftable grade for that year.

There are 80 players INVITED to NBA combine, and only 60 are drafted. This year is the most they have ever invited to Combine, and hope many realize the change. Its important. In previous years, a majority of invitees were drafted, now 1/4 won't be drafted. They need to keep this in mind given the new early entrant rules, which I feel will screw-over more hopeful prospects than ever before.

Very rare a player who isn't invited to Combine is drafted in that same year, the rare instances are some international prospects (although most still attend), and 3 or 4 prospects who have had off-the-chart workouts.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Hold on, Raise. There are tons of players who steer clear of the combine. You need to calculate Norvell’s odds by adding them in as well.
    yes, there are numerous prospects who skip the combine for a variety of reasons i.e. post injury/surgery, amazing tape/film, Top-5 guarantee, agent suggestion, poor measurables but high demand, etc.

I'm saying those invited are whom are drafted 99% of the time.

For instance, I doubt Zion even shows up, yet he was still invited.

If Tillie didn't receive an invite, its not his year, and a crazy uphill effort to get or earn a draft spot. Unlike Norvell (imo), he is one who could go from late 2nd or UDFA to a lottery pick by maintaining his health for an entire season.

Right. So your number 60 being drafted from among the 80 invitees is inaccurate, as the Zions and Breaker Morants of the world will gobble up a number of the 60 slots.

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    yes, there are numerous prospects who skip the combine for a variety of reasons i.e. post injury/surgery, amazing tape/film, Top-5 guarantee, agent suggestion, poor measurables but high demand, etc.

I'm saying those invited are whom are drafted 99% of the time.

For instance, I doubt Zion even shows up, yet he was still invited.

If Tillie didn't receive an invite, its not his year, and a crazy uphill effort to get or earn a draft spot. Unlike Norvell (imo), he is one who could go from late 2nd or UDFA to a lottery pick by maintaining his health for an entire season.