Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Norvell Declares

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Does anybody miss him? I was hiding his posts anyway; very few people are worthy of that many posts per thread.
    I miss all Gonzaga Fans when they get banned.

You put him on ignore....thats the correct action I wish others would do and banning could be eliminated

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    speaking of coming back....is Spy banned for life?
    No... not a lifer. I didn't do the ban, so don't know when he gets "revived".
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    speaking of coming back....is Spy banned for life?
    He'll be back in a couple of days or so.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    thanks for update

Quote Originally Posted by Therunner View Post
    Do you work from home?

The accountability in most career/job is more intense than any in college.

Dont forget, NBA is a job. Yes, you are paid well, but its year round work. Even more accountability for working out, meeting with agents, upper mgmt, engagements, team trainers, and pressure to perform each and every night, or be cut. Team chemistry is meh, you are colleagues.

Performance reviews every month, season, year. Off season is full time gig as well.

Constant media. Attention, the same curfews on the road, coaches who expect not father figures.

8 am classes? Now, its 8am film sessions and expected to watch your own tape and contribute to the group, same idea as a term paper.

Point is, it's much MUCH harder to make it each and every day. One is a non paid internship (college), the other you can get fired at any time (pros).

NBA lifestyle is glorified by the very few who have made millions upon millions and just so much better for everyone else.

Otherwise, you are practice player who might move 3 teams/cities in 5 yrs, barely play, or hang in the D league.

Money is the primary incentive but it ain't everything.

I love what I do and earn a good living, yet I'd much rather be a poor college student again, working, double majoring, being with friends.....instead of a posse or colleagues.
    The gist of my post wasn't that the pros lends itself to less responsibility, accountability, easier life style, etc. I was simply pointing out that many tire of the "college lifestyle" and are ready to move on and become an adult with the pressures, responsibilities, and rewards that go with it. To get to where Zach is as a basketball player you cant be a stranger to hard work and performing under pressure. My guess is that he relishes the added pressure that comes with trying to make it as a pro.

But your last sentence pretty much explains your position....you loved being a college student, which is great.....but a lot of people dont.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Was going to post something.. thinking better of it. Moving on.
    I know exactly what you mean....it is a fools errand......and any response I would make would violate my civility effort...

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    I know exactly what you mean....it is a fools errand......and any response I would make would violate my civility effort...
    Yep. Same here.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    I didn't even know he was banned or that could happen on here. I try to be civil and even if I disagree with another's point of view myself but I know I'd felt like this board was getting controlled by a few recently. Hopefully everyone get's back in good graces and we can have good discussion on the Zags!

Quote Originally Posted by MileHigh View Post
    The gist of my post wasn't that the pros lends itself to less responsibility, accountability, easier life style, etc. I was simply pointing out that many tire of the "college lifestyle" and are ready to move on and become an adult with the pressures, responsibilities, and rewards that go with it. To get to where Zach is as a basketball player you cant be a stranger to hard work and performing under pressure. My guess is that he relishes the added pressure that comes with trying to make it as a pro.

But your last sentence pretty much explains your position....you loved being a college student, which is great.....but a lot of people dont.
    This pretty much sums ups the people kicking Zach has he explores his options. Makes one wonder if they took a moment to assess what is motivating his decision, rather than making some knee jerk reaction and projecting their experience as being germane to what he is going through. Zach put in 3 years, played hurt, did not get in trouble, went to class, and represented to GU in a positive light. By all means lets all be a scab picker like Jazz and run him down because he has chosen to explore his options. I guess only Ammo and Sabonis get the pass for leaving early.

Norvell might surprise....I am no expert, but watching the NBA Playoffs.....he has the size, the quickness and the range....those guys let it fly from three early in the clock with absolutely no conscience and supreme confidence....of course they shoot threes in the mid 40's...

I hope he realizes that the great majority of Gonzaga Fans....at least that I know....are pulling for him..... don't bother to tell me why he can't succeed....

He gets his shot off quickly. This is huge. Coupled with his size, he could do well. 2018/19 was not his best year, and I think he could put himself in a solidly better spot by staying another year, but I support his decision either way and wish him the best.

I hope he knows that this year is the strongest/deepest draft in years while next year’s draft looks extremely weak. The HS graduating class this year is nowhere near last year’s class. I’m typically all for people leaving early to get paid, but for him I truly feel like staying one more year would be his best bet.
    "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

It's time to move on. I'm not os sure a 37% shooter will take us to the promised land anyway. The data is the data. I really like Norvell but if he wants to leave, I wish him the best of luck. All of those leaving should get well wishes. They have a future and so does this program. We're already solid in the front court.and that'll get developed. We need 1 and 2 spots developed. I do think that'll come.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Norvell checked out halfway through the season. Likely when Few quite wisely reined in his shot avalanche a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by vandalzag View Post
    This pretty much sums ups the people kicking Zach has he explores his options. Makes one wonder if they took a moment to assess what is motivating his decision, rather than making some knee jerk reaction and projecting their experience as being germane to what he is going through. Zach put in 3 years, played hurt, did not get in trouble, went to class, and represented to GU in a positive light. By all means lets all be a scab picker like Jazz and run him down because he has chosen to explore his options. I guess only Ammo and Sabonis get the pass for leaving early.
    Thanks Vandal. On a scale of 1-10 of Jazz’s posts, with 10 being the best he can do, that was a negative 2.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Sam Vecenie of The Athletic now projects Norvell going 33rd overall (early second round) to Philly. Here's his note on Norvell:

33. Philadelphia 76ers (from CLE) — Zach Norvell Jr.

6-5 off-guard, redshirt sophomore, Gonzaga

More shooters for the 76ers. In this case, Norvell would add the microwave scoring element currently missing from the 76ers’ bench. He has NBA range already, and will knock down open shots when they’re given to him. He’s also improved a bit on defense to where he’s able to hold up in coverage, as opposed to last year where he struggled there. This smooth lefty could help space the floor for Simmons and Joel Embiid, as well as potentially Jimmy Butler if he sticks around this offseason. Of note: I had Norvell in my 2020 mock draft, but the working assumption among NBA teams — without anything being finalized on his end — seems to be that Norvell ends up in 2019.
    I added the bolding because that seems significant.

Quote Originally Posted by VinnyZag View Post
    Sam Vecenie of The Athletic now projects Norvell going 33rd overall (early second round) to Philly. Here's his note on Norvell:

I added the bolding because that seems significant.
    Yes it does seem significant. He is pretty in tuned. As much as i dont agree with it, who cares what i think, and it seems as if Zach has made up his mind.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Yes it does seem significant. He is pretty in tuned. As much as i dont agree with it, who cares what i think, and it seems as if Zach has made up his mind.
    If Philly tells him they will take him at 33, he would be foolish not to go.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Have you personally chatted with Zach lately. Like in the past few days. I HAVE NOT, so I'm reluctant to talk about whats on his mind in any way shape or form. In fact, I don't know Zach personally. Do you?

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    If Philly tells him they will take him at 33, he would be foolish not to go.
    Agreed. I'm shocked to hear that some are projecting him to go that high, but if they are, why not?
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    Have you personally chatted with Zach lately. Like in the past few days. I HAVE NOT, so I'm reluctant to talk about whats on his mind in any way shape or form. In fact, I don't know Zach personally. Do you?
    That’s the problem with some on these boards. They take an IG post too far
    Qualified for 23 Straight Big Dances

12 Straight Round of 32s

11 Sweet Sixteens (6 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    That’s the problem with some on these boards. They take an IG post too far
    An IG post? What are you even talking about? Please do a bit more reading...

Sam Vecenie said after speaking with multiple personnel that he is most likely gone.

That’s exciting news about Norvell from Vecenie. Early second round would be great for him. Can he do better by sticking around another year? I don’t think he improves his draft stock that much unless he has a monster year next year for GU. I hope ZN is getting reliable information. I’ll be rooting for him to do well in the combine.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    That’s exciting news about Norvell from Vecenie. Early second round would be great for him. Can he do better by sticking around another year? I don’t think he improves his draft stock that much unless he has a monster year next year for GU. I hope ZN is getting reliable information. I’ll be rooting for him to do well in the combine.
    I honestly feel that's the best Norvell can do or hope for, and if its goal to be drafted, he should go for it.

On the other hand, Tillie has an opportunity to go from late 2nd Rd, maybe even undrafted to a Top 20 type pick with 1 healthy season under his belt.

Tillie is the definition of a player who should return. ROI could be insanely high with killian. He could be set for life with 1 good season under his belt.

Sounds about right to me. The only hesitation I have is all of the talk from almost day one that he didn’t like school and wanted to go pro. Can he play shooting guard?! (J/k)

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    I honestly feel that's the best Norvell can do or hope for, and if its goal to be drafted, he should go for it.

On the other hand, Tillie has an opportunity to go from late 2nd Rd, maybe even undrafted to a Top 20 type pick with 1 healthy season under his belt.

Tillie is the definition of a player who should return. ROI could be insanely high with killian. He could be set for life with 1 good season under his belt.
    Tillie is also an example of someone who should have left last year when his stock was high after his WCC Tourney performance. Just an example of why these choices are so difficult to make.