Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Walker Kessler

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    C’mon, Caldy. Summer’s over.
    Dude, do you really need to spend this much time being confrontational with one of the few people that actually has sources inside the program? Chill out.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    Dude, do you really need to spend this much time being confrontational with one of the few people that actually has sources inside the program? Chill out.
    He's just having some light fun lol. Jazz keeps your expectations low so you don't get hurt.

https://balldurham.com/2019/08/16/si...ker-kessler/6/
    WARNING!!! This is a Duke article which can a be known to cause vomiting or repeated thoughts of "what a piece of #### program".

That being said if you make it through the whole article the unintentional silver lining that he writes about is that Gonzaga is the best fit for him. He mentions that Gonzaga has never landed a 5 star recruit which is incorrect (Ballo and Collins). A correct statement might have been that Gonzaga has never landed a consensus 5 star recruit but that should change with the addition of Suggs. I think the only good points he brings up in this article is the distance problem that Gonzaga has and the available minutes at center at Duke. He fails to bring up that even though Duke brings in five star centers, they often stay longer or go completely undrafted due to that duke does not run its offense through its centers (excluding Okafor who has had a terrible NBA career). Walker said “With Duke, they always change their style of play depending on the players they have,” Kessler explained to Rivals’ Dan McDonald. “I trust that they would find a way to make it work.” I wouldn't..... Personal prediction, If Kessler ends up picking Duke he will be a defensive Center and a rebound hustler. He will never get the chance to be a key scorer and though he might get drafted, Duke will fail to prepare him for the next level like most of their other centers. Duke runs its offense through great shooters and long athletic slashing Power Forwards. Based on the commits that they already have in Jeremy Roach and Jalen Johnson I see no evidence in a change of strategy from Koach. While stealing him away from Duke will be a uphill battle I will again argue that Duke is quite possibly, nay, the worst school he could go to on his short list in terms of play style. Dukes ideal center is a 300 pound ape and Walkers talents are wasted there.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    https://balldurham.com/2019/08/16/si...ker-kessler/6/
    WARNING!!! This is a Duke article which can a be known to cause vomiting or repeated thoughts of "what a piece of #### program".

That being said if you make it through the whole article the unintentional silver lining that he writes about is that Gonzaga is the best fit for him. He mentions that Gonzaga has never landed a 5 star recruit which is incorrect (Ballo and Collins). A correct statement might have been that Gonzaga has never landed a consensus 5 star recruit but that should change with the addition of Suggs. I think the only good points he brings up in this article is the distance problem that Gonzaga has and the available minutes at center at Duke. He fails to bring up that even though Duke brings in five star centers, they often stay longer or go completely undrafted due to that duke does not run its offense through its centers (excluding Okafor who has had a terrible NBA career). Walker said “With Duke, they always change their style of play depending on the players they have,” Kessler explained to Rivals’ Dan McDonald. “I trust that they would find a way to make it work.” I wouldn't..... Personal prediction, If Kessler ends up picking Duke he will be a defensive Center and a rebound hustler. He will never get the chance to be a key scorer and though he might get drafted, Duke will fail to prepare him for the next level like most of their other centers. Duke runs its offense through great shooters and long athletic slashing Power Forwards. Based on the commits that they already have in Jeremy Roach and Jalen Johnson I see no evidence in a change of strategy from Koach. While stealing him away from Duke will be a uphill battle I will again argue that Duke is quite possibly, nay, the worst school he could go to on his short list in terms of play style. Dukes ideal center is a 300 pound ape and Walkers talents are wasted there.
    If only someone could/would convey that to him.

Quote Originally Posted by zagssuperfan View Post
    If only someone could/would convey that to him.
    I am sure that this is the point Gonzaga is hitting the hardest when they talk with him.

I am sure that this is the point Gonzaga is hitting the hardest when they talk with him.
    I mentioned that this would be my recruiting pitch in the past, as well. If you want to be a Plumlee, go to Duke. There was Laettner and Okafor, with not much else in-between or after.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantua View Post
    We’ve seen complaints about the hype Gonzaga gets too, but Duke still wins the media game, which fair or not, maintains it’s prestige as does does Duke’s NCAA Tournament record. In 2015 Duke beat Gonzaga with a bunch of freshman. I think we could beat them this year.
    We did beat them this year, or are you considering it last year. I consider it this year until the season starts.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    I mentioned that this would be my recruiting pitch in the past, as well. If you want to be a Plumlee, go to Duke. There was Laettner and Okafor, with not much else in-between or after.
    These two guys were similar in that they were both great college players, the team ran through them, and both tanked in the NBA. Right now the team looks like it will run through Jalen Johnson and several quality shooting guards who are poised to commit to Duke. I'm trying to think of a center that went to Duke that had a successful NBA career and I'm stumped...?

I thought those in the know have said that our coaches don't say anything negative about other schools, only positive things about ours. Anyone know if that is accurate?

I thought those in the know have said that our coaches don't say anything negative about other schools, only positive things about ours. Anyone know if that is accurate?
    This is accurate. But you can convey that in a way that talks about other programs without calling them out by name. Call it insinuation if you will.

These two guys were similar in that they were both great college players, the team ran through them, and both tanked in the NBA. Right now the team looks like it will run through Jalen Johnson and several quality shooting guards who are poised to commit to Duke. I'm trying to think of a center that went to Duke that had a successful NBA career and I'm stumped...?
    Elton Brand just came to mind. He had a long career, although I don't recall how good it was.

Elton Brand just came to mind. He had a long career, although I don't recall how good it was.
    Elton Brand had a very good NBA career with career averages of almost 16 ppg and 9 rbg. Carlos Boozer is another Duke Big that had a very successful NBA career and his career averages were almost identical to Brands.

Marvin Bagley III & Wendell Carter Jr. also look like they will have solid NBA careers.

With that said I hope that Walker Kessler becomes a Zag and I think we offer him the best fit and developmental program to prepare him for the NBA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okafor averages about what Olynyk does in term of career stats. If you throw out his first year in NBA which Okafor actually put up great numbers he's a 5-6 points per game scorer. Sabonis is our best player in the NBA right now who should be poised to be a 20 PPG player next season. Laettner is there best big who put up 8 solid seasons before falling off the map. He never became the allstar that people thought he would become. Another notable name is Mason Plumlee who is a career 8 PPG scorer. After scrolling down the list of all the power forwards turned centers and true centers that Duke has had come through its astonishing how underwhelming many of their careers where especially showing such promise out of highschool.

Quote Originally Posted by GuZag2012 View Post
    Elton Brand had a very good NBA career with career averages of almost 16 ppg and 9 rbg. Carlos Boozer is another Duke Big that had a very successful NBA career and his career averages were almost identical to Brands.

Marvin Bagley III & Wendell Carter Jr. also look like they will have solid NBA careers.

With that said I hope that Walker Kessler becomes a Zag and I think we offer him the best fit and developmental program to prepare him for the NBA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Marvin Bagley III & Wendell Carter Jr. were both Power Forwards. I'm taking about Centers or Power Forwards who played the 5 spot in college and NBA

Marvin Bagley III & Wendell Carter Jr. were both Power Forwards. I'm taking about Centers or Power Forwards who played the 5 spot in college and NBA
    Bagley and Carter both underperformed at duke, according to what they were supposed to be when they came there. Players that go to duke do not improve, they are no better when they leave there than they were when they arrived, and usually turn out to be very average players in the NBA, at best. There are no duke superstars in the NBA, that I know of. I know some of you will say Irving is aa super star, But from what I gather about him , he is a terrible teammate, that no one wants to play with, who ruins team chemistry, and will not listen to coaches, and is totally about himself. I will not rant anymore, but Kessler's game would thrive under coach Few, and fizzle at duke. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    I think Andy was pretty high as a Soph. but slipped before he graduated. Hazy on if it was injury or illness.
    Andy Poling was a universal top 5 player when he verbaled to Gonzaga. It was a major commitment, but his career was absolutely destroyed by illness. He developed a bacterial infection that caused his metabolism to go completely out of whack. He went from 230 in high school to 175. Also, while at Gonzaga, he apparently had horrible allergy problems during his redshirt year. Even with eating 8 meals a day at GU, he could barely get above 200.

While at Seattle Pacific, he eventually got up tp 260lbs. But by then he was so far behind the curve. Sad story.

The Duke writer needs to understand that while Gonzaga might not be overflowing with 5 star players, they recruit internationally which allows them to nail 5 star recruits without having to compete against the blood bloods. A fact: as soon as Karnowski landed in America, Coach K and Bill Self were trying to get him on their respective campuses.

Walker Kessler will be on the Michigan campus this weekend with his first official visit. Juwan Howard will attempt to make the pitch that his previous NBA experience will best prepare Walker for the NBA.

https://247sports.com/college/michig...sit-134824141/

Walker Kessler will be on the Michigan campus this weekend with his first official visit. Juwan Howard will attempt to make the pitch that his previous NBA experience will best prepare Walker for the NBA.

https://247sports.com/college/michig...sit-134824141/
    I believe this should be an unofficial, I could be off, but I didn't think he scheduled an official to Michigan yet. I did not read the article, so I maybe wrong.

Everything that's been reported has it being an official visit. At Duke next week, Carolina Sept. 20th, then us. Some confusion on whether his Auburn visit over the summer counts toward this year or last year but those four have been reported as official visits.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan08 View Post
    Everything that's been reported has it being an official visit. At Duke next week, Carolina Sept. 20th, then us. Some confusion on whether his Auburn visit over the summer counts toward this year or last year but those four have been reported as official visits.
    If it turns out the Auburn one was last year, the report is he will take a official to Cal and a unofficial to Auburn since he is so close.

If it turns out the Auburn one was last year, the report is he will take a official to Cal and a unofficial to Auburn since he is so close.
    Michigan visit is an official. Let’s hope he takes the official to Cal, as it would be one less official that he can take elsewhere and he is not going to Cal.

If Mr. Kessler is as intelligent as people say he is ,our staff shouldn't have to say anything about duke. All he has to do is look at duke's track record on developing big men, and then look at the Zag staff track record.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
    If Mr. Kessler is as intelligent as people say he is ,our staff shouldn't have to say anything about duke. All he has to do is look at duke's track record on developing big men, and then look at the Zag staff track record.
    The flip side is all you have to do is look where Duke big men get drafted. Tank or not

Quote Originally Posted by EEzag View Post
    The flip side is all you have to do is look where Duke big men get drafted. Tank or not
    If I am not mistaken Bolden was the top center in his class and left as a junior in last years draft. Where was he drafted ? If I am not mistaken, which I am not, he didn't get drafted at all.

Quote Originally Posted by EEzag View Post
    Traditional post players, usually pretty low or not at all.