Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Walker Kessler

I’m shocked. A Duke board thinks he’ll commit there!

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    I’m shocked. A Duke board thinks he’ll commit there!
    Hmmm, a little pot calling the kettle, CG?

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Hmmm, a little pot calling the kettle, CG?
    Seems most every board does this. Would be surprised if WK chose us. Our front court is going to be loaded for next year and 2020. Duke will probably have minutes, Koach, and well, it’s Duke

- sure it is a duke board, duke fan's perspective, but for the most part a fair analysis.....except for the part about coach Williams being smelly and unfair.
    - I liked that the writer admits, agrees, that coach few has had better success at developing big men that coach k.
    - weak argument against Gonzaga was often simply they have never landed a 5 star recruit so far................well so what, it's going to happen sometime, why not this time?

- of the 5 points made for why Kessler will commit to duke, the strongest i think is simply playing time.
    - come 2020 apparently the cupboard is going to be bare of anyone over 6'7", and no high producing scorers coming back......so he will literally have to 5 spot to himself and be looked upon to be a scorer.
    - interesting (could be so ass kissing) that coach k. has said Kessler reminds him of Christian Lattenar.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    - sure it is a duke board, duke fan's perspective, but for the most part a fair analysis.....except for the part about coach Williams being smelly and unfair.
    - I liked that the writer admits, agrees, that coach few has had better success at developing big men that coach k.
    - weak argument against Gonzaga was often simply they have never landed a 5 star recruit so far................well so what, it's going to happen sometime, why not this time?

- of the 5 points made for why Kessler will commit to duke, the strongest i think is simply playing time.
    - come 2020 apparently the cupboard is going to be bare of anyone over 6'7", and no high producing scorers coming back......so he will literally have to 5 spot to himself and be looked upon to be a scorer.
    - interesting (could be so ass kissing) that coach k. has said Kessler reminds him of Christian Laettner.
    Coach K is trying to scare him off?
    Last edited by Mantua; 08-18-2019 at 03:33 PM.
    Parlez-vous français?

Gonzaga broke the 5-star recruit ceiling with Zach Collins. Lame analysis, dookies.
    Welcome to Zagdom

Quote Originally Posted by Snagglezag View Post
    Gonzaga broke the 5-star recruit ceiling with Zach Collins. Lame analysis, dookies.
    Austin Daye 2007
    Domantas Sabonis 2014
    Zach Collins 2016
    Oumar Ballo 2019

And upon initial commitment to Gonzaga, Josh Perkins and Drew Timme were also rated as 5-stars

To me well it's duke means teams that are loaded with talent that are supposed to the best team ever capable of beating an nba team, that underachieved each of the last 3 years. Kessler can look at Bolden who was supposed to be the best center in his class who stayed at duke for three years, and wasn't any better when he left than when he got there. A lot of the duke persona is the media blowing smoke, they don't develop talent they just get the most talented players, and they are no better when they leave than they were when they got there. Those last 3 super teams couldn't even make the final 4 even with all the help they get from the officals.

Spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
    To me well it's duke means teams that are loaded with talent that are supposed to the best team ever capable of beating an nba team, that underachieved each of the last 3 years. Kessler can look at Bolden who was supposed to be the best center in his class who stayed at duke for three years, and wasn't any better when he left than when he got there. A lot of the duke persona is the media blowing smoke, they don't develop talent they just get the most talented players, and they are no better when they leave than they were when they got there. Those last 3 super teams couldn't even make the final 4 even with all the help they get from the officals.

We’ve seen complaints about the hype Gonzaga gets too, but Duke still wins the media game, which fair or not, maintains it’s prestige as does does Duke’s NCAA Tournament record. In 2015 Duke beat Gonzaga with a bunch of freshman. I think we could beat them this year.
    Parlez-vous français?

Quote Originally Posted by exclusivelee View Post

And upon initial commitment to Gonzaga, Josh Perkins and Drew Timme were also rated as 5-stars
    iirc andy poling was our highest ever recruit at time of commit. i think he was 11 or so. just to add to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by soccerdud View Post
    iirc andy poling was our highest ever recruit at time of commit. i think he was 11 or so. just to add to the list.
    I don't remember if he was that high, I thought he was in the 20s, but the point remains, as far as I believe the first 5-star.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by soccerdud View Post

I think Andy was pretty high as a Soph. but slipped before he graduated. Hazy on if it was injury or illness.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    I think Andy was pretty high as a Soph. but slipped before he graduated. Hazy on if it was injury or illness.
    I saw Poling v Kevin Love when he was a soph and Love was a sr. Poling had very advanced post skills for his age and was already 6'10 or so, but it was a complete mismatch v Love. Poling, despite his skill, seemed relatively weak and unathletic. IMO Poling was rated that high based on projections that he'd gain strength and athleticism as he grew into his body, as is often the case w/ young bigs. His ranking dropped after his soph year if I remember right. I think I remember him being ranked around 10 as well. Might well be the illness (was it celiac disease or something like that?) that hindered his development.

This from Dan McDonald at Rivals a couple days ago:

I came out with a prediction of five-star big man Walker Kessler ending up at Duke in this column a couple months ago. Since then, he released a top six of Auburn, California, Duke, Gonzaga, Michigan and North Carolina and set up some official visits. His next official visits will be Michigan on the first weekend of football season followed by Duke the next weekend. He also has visits set with North Carolina (Sept. 20) and Gonzaga (Oct. 4). Depending on whether his visit to Auburn back in June is determined to count toward his junior or senior year, he could also take an official visit to California.

As for my updated prediction, anybody following this one closely has heard it’s really tight between Auburn and Duke. I believe that to be true as well. If Gonzaga or Michigan were located closer to home, it would definitely help them, but they aren’t. North Carolina has come on really strong lately and could make it interesting down the stretch with a great visit. But not being “all in” like the other schools have been the whole way through could be a problem.

So again, that takes us back to Auburn and Duke. I still think it will be Duke in the end. It’s the type of prestigious program that satisfies his strong academics and has the track record of producing NBA players lately. The uncertainty at Auburn right now with the NCAA doesn’t help either.
    Distance keeps coming up as the biggest drawback for us. Based on everything I've read, I still feel like there's reason for optimism with Powell and a great visit would give us a chance to surprise some people with him. Feels like many of our visits have gone really well when the right type of player/person is here.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan08 View Post
    This from Dan McDonald at Rivals a couple days ago:

Distance keeps coming up as the biggest drawback for us. Based on everything I've read, I still feel like there's reason for optimism with Powell and a great visit would give us a chance to surprise some people with him. Feels like many of our visits have gone really well when the right type of player/person is here.
    Distance will be hard to overcome, but this one has really caught fire this spring/summer. The family really likes GU.

Maybe the possible issue of Williams accepting money from Nike to go to a Nike school might have an adverse effect on Duke as they could possibly be penalized if that is indeed factual. At the very least they could forfeit every game in which he played...again, that is IF they can prove he accepted money to go to Duke...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Maybe the possible issue of Williams accepting money from Nike to go to a Nike school might have an adverse effect on Duke as they could possibly be penalized if that is indeed factual. At the very least they could forfeit every game in which he played...again, that is IF they can prove he accepted money to go to Duke...
    If HE admitted to accepting the money, would that count as proof to the NCAA, or would they just have to penalize Pacific again?
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

I understand the distance thing, but let's say he's one & done & then gets drafted by Sacramento.

In all likely hood he's gonna' wind up away from home anyway, both college & the NBA. Come to a place that has good academics, a stable, established staff that produces lottery picks, a city that treats you as the only game in town & a culture that gives you friends for life; not just the guys you played with, but guys that wore the uniform.

Just a thought.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

The NCAA will never do anything to Duke, no matter what. As far as the money deal that means nothing. They had Miller on tape over thy Ayton deal, and top players keep heading to Arizona. That money thing means nothing to these top players.

Do you actually believe that the NCAA will ever do anything to Duke ? If you do I have some oceanfront property that I will sell you in Tombstone, Arizona.

Do you actually believe that the NCAA will ever do anything to Duke ? If you do I have some oceanfront property that I will sell you in Tombstone, Arizona.
    If Duke ever got caught paying players this is what the NCAA sanctions would look like.

1. Nothing
    2. Nothing
    3. Nothing
    4. Nothing
    5. Take 2 scholarships away from University of Portland men's basketball because they wear Nike too!

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaZagFan View Post
    If Duke ever got caught paying players this is what the NCAA sanctions would look like.

1. Nothing
    2. Nothing
    3. Nothing
    4. Nothing
    5. Take 2 scholarships away from University of Portland men's basketball because they wear Nike too!

All the above.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    Distance will be hard to overcome, but this one has really caught fire this spring/summer. The family really likes GU.
    C’mon, Caldy. Summer’s over.