Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 230

Thread: 2020 Walker Kessler

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    10,884

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SLOZag View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    Important - Kraziness
    Welcome back, cryptic seer!
    Walker Kessler has said that he plans to visit Gonzaga on October 5, which is the date of Kraziness in the Kennel.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    297

    Default

    5-star 2020 big man Walker Kessler has his next official visit set for Michigan on the weekend of August 31st.

    https://umhoops.com/official-visits/

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    297

    Default

    personal opinion: Bad news for Michigan that he scheduled this before Michigan starts school. Should be first visit on schedule of the 6 schools he plans to visit.

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    42

    Default

    According to Dan McDonalds of Rivals via Twitter (@dmcdonaldsrivals):

    “Three more official visits set for 5-star big man Walker Kessler: #Duke (Sept 6-8), #UNC (Sept 20-22) & #Gonzaga (Oct 4-6”

    I am not optimistic that he’ll end up a Zag, but I suppose it’s possible if he’s using an official visit. Also kind of cool the company the zags keep.

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OCzag View Post
    According to Dan McDonalds of Rivals via Twitter (@dmcdonaldsrivals):

    “Three more official visits set for 5-star big man Walker Kessler: #Duke (Sept 6-8), #UNC (Sept 20-22) & #Gonzaga (Oct 4-6”

    I am not optimistic that he’ll end up a Zag, but I suppose it’s possible if he’s using an official visit. Also kind of cool the company the zags keep.
    Much rather have the last visit than the 1st!

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    16,198

    Default

    Agree but pass the pipe anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by OCzag View Post
    According to Dan McDonalds of Rivals via Twitter (@dmcdonaldsrivals):

    “Three more official visits set for 5-star big man Walker Kessler: #Duke (Sept 6-8), #UNC (Sept 20-22) & #Gonzaga (Oct 4-6”

    I am not optimistic that he’ll end up a Zag, but I suppose it’s possible if he’s using an official visit. Also kind of cool the company the zags keep.

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    cave-in-rock,il
    Posts
    194

    Default

    I have always thought that the last visit was the most important, because that is the one that is still in the player's head when they make their descision.

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    10,884

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    Much rather have the last visit than the 1st!
    You never know, many recruits seem to make their decision before their final scheduled visit and it feels like GU seems to be in that position a bit.

  9. #109

    Default

    Either way, it's a big step forward for GU getting a guy of his caliber to take an official visit.

    Gu's recruiting is at a level I've never seen before, and I assume it will only keep getting better.

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by exclusivelee View Post
    You never know, many recruits seem to make their decision before their final scheduled visit and it feels like GU seems to be in that position a bit.
    Certainly Kessler could decide before his GU visit, and if so then there is nothing we can do. I can tell you though, if Kessler were to cut down to a top 3 right now.... Gonzaga would certainly make the cut. He has also already visited Michigan, Auburn, and Duke so I don't think he will be so blown away by those visits as to commit and cancel the Gonzaga visit. The first impression is usually the biggest on these visits. Finally, and what I think is of the utmost importance here and greatly to our advantage: If Kessler's mind is not made up before he comes to GU, being the last visit is big. Why? Certainly being last can't hurt but more importantly I believe the timing of the visit is so significant because he will be visiting all of those other programs before true basketball activites commence for the 2019-2020 season. He will be at Kraziness but will see nothing of the sort (as an official visitor) at the other schools.

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    297

    Default

    I'd be interested to see what Caldwell has to say. He said there was alot of movement in the works with Kessler and was going to give a recruiting update. I do believe his recruiting is alot more open then what people on 247 sports think. Definitely not a pipe dream.

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    I'd be interested to see what Caldwell has to say. He said there was alot of movement in the works with Kessler and was going to give a recruiting update. I do believe his recruiting is alot more open then what people on 247 sports think. Definitely not a pipe dream.
    Agreed. Kessler is definitely not a pipe dream at all. What Caldwell subtly referenced is something I still believe to be accurate as well..... there are still some moving parts in the Kessler recruitment and we have been moving upward.

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    186

    Default

    Surreal

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Valley Zag View Post
    Surreal
    The whole thing is surreal. We have locked up two top 50 type recruits in the 2019 class and are among the leaders for two more top 20 kids. Yes, it is very surreal but appears to be the new reality of Gonzaga basketball. And honestly, I think adding a coach like Powell changes the landscape even further. We have always attracted foreign kids to Gonzaga but with Powell it appears we will now become a player for top 100 type talent from across the country as well. Our focus on that type of recruit will no longer almost exclusively be on kids from the West Coast. Surreal indeed.

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    186

    Default

    hmm

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    16,198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    I'd be interested to see what Caldwell has to say. He said there was alot of movement in the works with Kessler and was going to give a recruiting update. I do believe his recruiting is alot more open then what people on 247 sports think. Definitely not a pipe dream.
    Caldy’s been stringing bogeys after a hot start.

  17. #117
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    16,198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagBlue View Post
    The whole thing is surreal. We have locked up two top 50 type recruits in the 2019 class and are among the leaders for two more top 20 kids. Yes, it is very surreal but appears to be the new reality of Gonzaga basketball. And honestly, I think adding a coach like Powell changes the landscape even further. We have always attracted foreign kids to Gonzaga but with Powell it appears we will now become a player for top 100 type talent from across the country as well. Our focus on that type of recruit will no longer almost exclusively be on kids from the West Coast. Surreal indeed.
    BIG difference between Top 50 and Top 5-10 kids like Suggs, et al.

  18. #118
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Caldy’s been stringing bogeys after a hot start.
    Have we missed out on anyone since Julien's commitment?

  19. #119
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    16,198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    Have we missed out on anyone since Julien's commitment?
    Several transfers, I’ve stopped counting. And Suggs was supposed to sign in June.

  20. #120
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Several transfers, I’ve stopped counting. And Suggs was supposed to sign in June.
    Thornton was the only real surprise for me. I heard Suggs say early August... but I think people are right in that a commitment seems unlikely until after football season.

  21. #121
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    PNWest
    Posts
    3,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Several transfers, I’ve stopped counting. And Suggs was supposed to sign in June.
    Jazz, ol buddy.... sometimes you have the patience of a Great White during a Feeding Frenzy.... Yes, I'm smiling as I type this...

    Just my opinion

    Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

  22. #122
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    849

    Default

    Is there a way to ignore posters in specific forums? Some people contribute nothing to the Whelping Box but hand wringing. Might serve them better to just sit on those hands.

  23. #123
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    BIG difference between Top 50 and Top 5-10 kids like Suggs, et al.
    I agree with you Jazz (I can’t believe I am writing such lol) for the most part. Every year though, there are several top 20 kids that truly want the relationship building involved in recruiting as opposed to hoping to add every blue blood offer. Coach Few will be good at recognizing those kids. Powell is incredible at building relationships with families that really value that as opposed to a normal top 20 recruit who is looking for the fastest path to NBA and could care less about relationships along the way. Kessler is a perfect example. He strongly considered Vandy in a rebuild and now added Gonzaga all because his family loves Powell. 3 months ago we were not even recruiting this kid.
    In some ways, Suggs is similar. He is a top 2 pg in America and his final list is essentially Gonzaga, Minnesota, Marquette, etc. Gonzaga will never extend offers to half of the top 20 kids in America. We will isolate a few and make them a priority.

  24. #124
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    16,198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Is there a way to ignore posters in specific forums? Some people contribute nothing to the Whelping Box but hand wringing. Might serve them better to just sit on those hands.
    I find the whiners more off putting.

  25. #125
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    16,198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagBlue View Post
    I agree with you Jazz (I can’t believe I am writing such lol) for the most part. Every year though, there are several top 20 kids that truly want the relationship building involved in recruiting as opposed to hoping to add every blue blood offer. Coach Few will be good at recognizing those kids. Powell is incredible at building relationships with families that really value that as opposed to a normal top 20 recruit who is looking for the fastest path to NBA and could care less about relationships along the way. Kessler is a perfect example. He strongly considered Vandy in a rebuild and now added Gonzaga all because his family loves Powell. 3 months ago we were not even recruiting this kid.
    In some ways, Suggs is similar. He is a top 2 pg in America and his final list is essentially Gonzaga, Minnesota, Marquette, etc. Gonzaga will never extend offers to half of the top 20 kids in America. We will isolate a few and make them a priority.
    Blue. I’m sorry, I just don’t see GU snaring a Top 5-10 kid EVER. So many variables and all work against us. Like Nix, another Caldwell bum call. Look, it’s great to be a fan, even a Pollyanna one. Not me. Btw, we win plenty with the Top 50 kids we get and the internationals. But holmgren, Suggs, Kessler, just don’t see it happening.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •