X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Worthington
    Bleeds GU Blue
    • Aug 2011

I kept a close eye on Filip this season and I have to say he was nearly unplayable on the defensive end. Had no idea how to hold his ground without fouling/biting on up fakes. Super efficient on offense, with a high ceiling on that end, but if he doesn't shore it up on defense, I wonder about the minutes he will get.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by mgadfly View Post
      I don't think Morrison improved all that much from sophomore to junior season. His usage went up, but his efficiency was nearly identical and he was already scoring nearly 20 points per game as a sophomore. His rebounding percentages went down (bot offensive and defensive), his assist rate took a nose dive, and his defense was blah both seasons.

Not saying he wasn't better as a junior because performing at the same level but on higher usage is still pretty awesome, but I don't think that was the season he made the major jump. He was an awesome sophomore.

Clarke improved some, but his numbers were impressive as a sophomore as well. He played more efficiently for the Zags, but less minutes and was asked to do less outside of his areas of strength. His rebounding was virtually the same and while his defense improved, he was already a very good defender.

Olynyk improved a ton. I don't think it is a fair expectation of anyone to improve like he did. He went from being a low usage, low minutes guy to being a high usage player. He improved his offense in virtually every category. Despite scoring more points, his assist rate increased (unlike both Clarke and Morrison whose passing took a hit when asked to shoot more), his turnovers improved, and his defense went from Morrison-esque to being almost at the level Clarke was as a freshman (which is pretty good).

Petrusev could certainly improve more than Clarke or Morrison did (because they didn't improve a whole lot, were just given different opportunities). I don't think there is much of a chance he can do what Olynyk did, not because I don't think he is really good, but because of the hundreds of players that have come through GU, Olynyk is in a pretty elite position for SO to JR improvement.
      There's another difference with Kelly that I don't think I've seen with others who went through a redshirt year. Kelly took on the role of a shadow assistant coach during his redshirt year. That meant his understanding of the game, and its nuances, matched the improvements he was making off the court.

The young man definitely made the most of his time at Gonzaga...didn't he also graduate with a masters degree?

Comment

• TexasZagFan
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Worthington View Post
        I kept a close eye on Filip this season and I have to say he was nearly unplayable on the defensive end. Had no idea how to hold his ground without fouling/biting on up fakes. Super efficient on offense, with a high ceiling on that end, but if he doesn't shore it up on defense, I wonder about the minutes he will get.
        As we've all seen, big men take longer to develop than other positions. Guys like Filip are able to dominate in HS due to their height, then it gets much harder at the next level. His development last year was hindered by Killian's injury...there was no one that matched him in height, and Rui and Brandon were far superior athletes. With the arrival of the new bigs, I'm optimistic that Filip will be challenged, and respond well to the competition.

Comment

• Ladyzag12
          Kennel Club Material
          • Mar 2019

People are too high on Timme. I think Timme will be a solid 4 year guy, but he actually has the lowest potential of any of the incoming big men for me. Petrusev has better scoring numbers per 40 minutes than almost any other GU big man as a Freshman that I can look up, except for Zach Collins. He needs some work defensively for sure, but people really underrate his touch and mobility for his size. We have not had another player his size and with that mobility other than Collins. He was fringe NBA prospect in Europe and decided to do the NCAA route. Timme for me is limited athletically and in terms of size as well. He has tons of intangibles and definitely a good handle and passing for his size.

Comment

• maynard g krebs
            Zag for Life
            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by mgadfly View Post
            I don't think Morrison improved all that much from sophomore to junior season. His usage went up, but his efficiency was nearly identical and he was already scoring nearly 20 points per game as a sophomore. His rebounding percentages went down (bot offensive and defensive), his assist rate took a nose dive, and his defense was blah both seasons.

Not saying he wasn't better as a junior because performing at the same level but on higher usage is still pretty awesome, but I don't think that was the season he made the major jump. He was an awesome sophomore.
            Without looking it up, his 3 pt % went from low 30's his soph year to something like 43-44% his jr year. That's a huge difference imo, and what jumped him to superstar status.

Comment

• Malastein
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

If Petrusev can put on a good bit of muscle without losing speed, then he could be pretty good. He’s definitely too soft on both sides of the court right now. His defense and his rebounding both need major improvement. Don’t forget how few he collected in the games against Tennessee and North Carolina.
              The only hope we have for a better future is to come together and do everything we possibly can in order to achieve a sustainable existence. Everything else is folly of a broken foundation.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
                People are too high on Timme. I think Timme will be a solid 4 year guy, but he actually has the lowest potential of any of the incoming big men for me. Petrusev has better scoring numbers per 40 minutes than almost any other GU big man as a Freshman that I can look up, except for Zach Collins. He needs some work defensively for sure, but people really underrate his touch and mobility for his size. We have not had another player his size and with that mobility other than Collins. He was fringe NBA prospect in Europe and decided to do the NCAA route. Timme for me is limited athletically and in terms of size as well. He has tons of intangibles and definitely a good handle and passing for his size.
                Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about. I've seen him play in person, and he was hampered by the lack of talent around him. He singlehandedly led his team to beating Duncanville, the Texas 6A state champion this year.

There's a reason he's been moving up the player rankings since his visit to GU two years ago, and his style of play fits the Zag system to a T. He has the potential to be a triple-double player for the Zags, that's how good his passing is. His "motor" will elevate the Zags, too. He's averaged over 10 rebounds a game the past two seasons, and he loves mixing it up in the paint. Drew's demonstrated he's able to pass out of double and triple teams, because that was the strategy other teams employed against him. Unfortunately, his teammates bricked too many of the open looks provided by Drew.

Comment

• MontanaCoyote
                  Zag for Life
                  • Dec 2015

“Texas Timme”. Goin’ B a Good One!

Comment

• Vanzagger
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Ladyzag12. I love your posts. There will be amazing competition between bigs as there has been. We are still loaded.

I look forward to seeing your projections and as information is added any of our evaluations can change. Thanks for sharing
                    Think Big. No think Bigger than that!

Comment

• LTownZag
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2017

Originally posted by maynard g krebs View Post
                      Without looking it up, his 3 pt % went from low 30's his soph year to something like 43-44% his jr year. That's a huge difference imo, and what jumped him to superstar status.
                      31.1 to. 42.8

On way more attempts as well.

That's a huge difference.

Comment

• soccerdud
                        Zag for Life
                        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
                        Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about. I've seen him play in person, and he was hampered by the lack of talent around him. He singlehandedly led his team to beating Duncanville, the Texas 6A state champion this year.

There's a reason he's been moving up the player rankings since his visit to GU two years ago, and his style of play fits the Zag system to a T. He has the potential to be a triple-double player for the Zags, that's how good his passing is. His "motor" will elevate the Zags, too. He's averaged over 10 rebounds a game the past two seasons, and he loves mixing it up in the paint. Drew's demonstrated he's able to pass out of double and triple teams, because that was the strategy other teams employed against him. Unfortunately, his teammates bricked too many of the open looks provided by Drew.
                        ... and don't forget that he can push the ball on breaks like tillie (handles/vision/athleticism are comparable), and will instantly be the most 2-handed post we've ever had.
                        Last edited by soccerdud; 04-21-2019, 02:24 PM.

Comment

• mgadfly
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by maynard g krebs View Post
                          His three point shooting did improve a bunch. His TS% improves a little. His offensive efficiency went up from 119.4 to only 120.0 because his two point FG% fell by 4 points and his assist rate declined very significantly. Three point shooting was a massive improvement. The extra usage is huge too. But he was almost identical in efficiency and already had a usage rate above 29% as a sophomore.

Comment

• West Side Lady
                            Kennel Club Material
                            • Apr 2017

Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about.
                            LOL! Rude, and also I've thought this ("you don't know what you're talking about") so many times when reading posts here! Many of the premature pronouncements on who will do what are so off.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by West Side Lady View Post
                              LOL! Rude, and also I've thought this ("you don't know what you're talking about") so many times when reading posts here! Many of the premature pronouncements on who will do what are so off.
                              I probably should have said it differently. My attitude about certain criticisms has changed over the past couple of years. In this case, in the limited sample size i’ve seen of Drew, he displayed a high level of athleticism to go with a high hoops IQ. You simply don’t beat the eventual state champs without it.

After seeing how the players interacted with all the campers during our visit two years ago, I now think of those young men as extended members of my family. Josh kibitzed with my grandson after “stealing “ his hat, Corey gave him individual instruction for 30 minutes, and dozens of great pictures were taken.

A picture of Big D and Rui is now my “wallpaper “ on my phone, it always brings a smile to my face. Several months later, Dillon was plucked out of the crowd in Nashville for the halftime slam dunk contest. Courtesy of GoZags, he earned the moniker of Big D.

None of this could have happened without the ongoing journey of Zag basketball. That’s how I roll, and that’s why I take umbrage when I think our players are criticized unfairly.

Comment

• willandi
                                Zag for Life
                                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by West Side Lady View Post
                                I probably should have said it differently. My attitude about certain criticisms has changed over the past couple of years. In this case, in the limited sample size i’ve seen of Drew, he displayed a high level of athleticism to go with a high hoops IQ. You simply don’t beat the eventual state champs without it.

After seeing how the players interacted with all the campers during our visit two years ago, I now think of those young men as extended members of my family. Josh kibitzed with my grandson after “stealing “ his hat, Corey gave him individual instruction for 30 minutes, and dozens of great pictures were taken.

A picture of Big D and Rui is now my “wallpaper “ on my phone, it always brings a smile to my face. Several months later, Dillon was plucked out of the crowd in Nashville for the halftime slam dunk contest. Courtesy of GoZags, he earned the moniker of Big D.

None of this could have happened without the ongoing journey of Zag basketball. That’s how I roll, and that’s why I take umbrage when I think our players are criticized unfairly.
                                And one of the very few on this board that has actually seen Mr Timme play, so it isn't just highlight vids.
                                Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

Working...
                                X