Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Petrusev Ceiling or Comparisons

I like Filip's offensive skill set quite a bit, but he is a bad post defender right now. Especially against BCS level competition. That is the number one thing he needs to focus on in the offseason. It's going to keep him off the floor until he gets better. Especially with all these talented big men who are coming in. Most of them are more highly ranked than Filip was coming out of HS.

But we have seen dramatic changes in Zag players between their frosh and soph seasons. Think of how much Norvell grew defensively last offseason. He went from terrible to average/slightly above average.

People sometimes forget that one of Filip's better games this past season was vs. Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    Hmmmm

Testing the waters, for sure, if it's true. I wouldn't really expect this to be serious until after a full year in the rotation...but if the NBA drafts on potential, TexasZagFan's grandson, Big D, has already dunked the ball on regulation height baskets, and he wasn't even 6 when he did that.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    That one is a shocker

Ha ha ha ha ha ha.... time for B-Mic to declare too... OMG what a soap opera this is becoming.... who's next? It will be what it is when it is all said and done come May 29th and the Zags will move on from there.... lot's of work needs to be done between now and October... I'm sure coach and staff are up for it... it does come with the territory...

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

As I said in another thread he knows with the talent coming in his playing time may not increase. Making me wonder if this is why coach Few didn't lean on him last season down the stretch.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Its official, Petrusev declared today as well. The final day.

No press release yet he entered his name.

Gonzaga with 5 EARLY entrants.

It's also official, Gonzaga with the most of any team in College hoops, more than UNC, Kentucky, Dule, et al

http://basketballsphere.com/petrusev...-na-nba-draft/

Bolden and Delaurier declared today for Duke, so 5 for Duke and Gonzaga.

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    Its official, Petrusev declared today as well. The final day.

No press release yet he entered his name.

Gonzaga with 5 EARLY entrants.

It's also official, Gonzaga with the most of any team in College hoops, more than UNC, Kentucky, Dule, et al

http://basketballsphere.com/petrusev...-na-nba-draft/
    Well, good for Filip. I hope he gives it a good run and makes a great decision. I think he will get great insight and it obviously will only help him to take advantage of professional analyses of his strengths, weaknesses and potential position.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Jim Meehan

@SRJimm
    42m42 minutes ago
    More
    Gonzaga freshman forward Filip Petrusev submitted his name for the NBA Draft, GU spokesperson confirmed. Sounds like Petrusev wants to go through the process, but is planning on returning for sophomore season.

Kind of like interviewing for jobs you might not want, or going on a blind date, it might be nice to go through the NBA declaration process once to know what to expect next year. After this, I'm not expecting him to be here in 2020...

Petrusev was one of our most beloved prospects by NBA scouts this year. At least in terms of long term potential, and how he performed in practice.

Petrusev doesn't miss in practice.

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    Petrusev was one of our most beloved prospects by NBA scouts this year. At least in terms of long term potential, and how he performed in practice.

Petrusev doesn't miss in practice.
    So if Petrusev doesn’t miss in practice, and Tillie is our best shooting big man, can someone now reveal why neither was used in the 2nd half against Texas Tech when we were struggling to score?

I feel like enough time has passed for someone to finally address this very fair question. And yes, I’m aware this is more of a Tillie question than a Petrusev question.

There comes a point in time when potential doesnt matter. Potential keeps us excited initially, especially when we have depth. Eventually you need to produce when the time calls. I think the verdict is still out on Petrusev, I've seen flashes, heard great things, but now we need to see the trend.
    America's Team!

This is becoming awkward. I don’t think the NBA intended the draft to be treated like a basketball camp.
    "I'm telling you Tillie knows how to play." - Mark Few

Quote Originally Posted by Hooray4Daye&Gray View Post
    So if Petrusev doesn’t miss in practice, and Tillie is our best shooting big man, can someone now reveal why neither was used in the 2nd half against Texas Tech when we were struggling to score?

I feel like enough time has passed for someone to finally address this very fair question. And yes, I’m aware this is more of a Tillie question than a Petrusev question.
    We weren't scoring because we kept getting the ball slapped away and couldn't break down defenders off of the dribble. Tillie and Petrusev and not the answers to those problems.

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoilzag View Post
    We weren't scoring because we kept getting the ball slapped away and couldn't break down defenders off of the dribble. Tillie and Petrusev and not the answers to those problems.
    Best reasoning I've read thus far. Thank you for providing a reasonable possible answer.

- did not see this coming, next year yes but not this year.
    - as with norvell, best of luck, but if the cards don't turn up right, hoping to see you wearing gu red, white and blue next year.

- if I was a betting man, I'd bet petrusev comes back next year, and I'd make no bet on norvell as I think that is 50/50. the other 3 are gone, gone, gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantua View Post
    This is becoming awkward. I don’t think the NBA intended the draft to be treated like a basketball camp.
    Exactly. So many declaring there is bound to be several (many?) players who don’t even get invited to the NBA Draft Combine let alone all expenses paid trips to workout for teams...which leaves you wondering how they will get any meaningful feedback at all let alone experience.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Exactly. So many declaring there is bound to be several (many?) players who don’t even get invited to the NBA Draft Combine let alone all expenses paid trips to workout for teams...which leaves you wondering how they will get any meaningful feedback at all let alone experience.
    Isn't that the feedback in itself? If they declare for the draft, don't hire an agent and then no teams really reach out, they know to come back to school without even considering actually leaving. I think we are making too much of a deal out of this. Filip is 99% returning, but if the option is there to possibly hear from an NBA team, go ahead and do it. They made the change for this exact reason. You can now dip your pinky toe in the water without being hung out to dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooray4Daye&Gray View Post

I mentioned before that Tillie’s right hand was taped up and a wrist wrap on him also. I noticed it at game end when the camera panned the players on the bench. He may have hurt that hand
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!