Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible grad transfer rule change

Default Graduate Transfers rule change possible

this could be a wrench in the works

In two weeks, the N.C.A.A.’s primary legislative body, the Division I Council, will vote on a measure that could severely restrict graduate transfers. The proposed rule change would require that colleges accepting graduate transfers be docked a scholarship the next year if the transfer does not earn his secondary degree within a year.
    Geno Crandall, who had begun his college career at North Dakota, ended it as a reserve guard at Gonzaga this spring.“I kind of wanted a different experience,” said Crandall, who said he had sought out Mooney, whom he had met when Mooney was at South Dakota, for advice on the transfer process. Crandall is working toward a master’s degree in organizational leadership at Gonzaga but said he took a lighter course load, two classes per semester, so that he could focus on basketball.

“Honestly, I’m actually enjoying it a lot more than I did undergrad,” Crandall said before the Zags lost to Mooney’s Red Raiders in the West Region final last weekend. “There’s a lot more discussion that goes into it, a lot more adult feel. This is more tailored to what you find interesting.”

Gonzaga’s Crandall said he was only vaguely aware of the proposed restrictions on graduate transfers. But he did not like the idea that a rule change might deny future players the path he had chosen.

“Whether it’s good or bad, the N.C.A.A. tries to take a lot of control away from players,” he said. “You commit to a school and they tell you they want you to play and help you get your degree, so I feel like once you get your degree your obligations are kind of fulfilled.”
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/04/s...lection=Sports
    Last edited by RenoZag; 04-04-2019 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Enlarged the quote font for readability

Civility prevents me from expressing my opinion of the NCAA and how it exploits the players...

Shouldn't they also dock schools a scholarship when that player, as a one and done, two and gone etc., doesn't have a degree within the 5 years to play 4 rule?
    It's not funny.

Anything to not support student-athletes and college education. These are graduate students we are talking about here. The future leaders of tomorrow. And Gonzaga's Organizational Leadership program is highly unique and enormously respected.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Shouldn't they also dock schools a scholarship when that player, as a one and done, two and gone etc., doesn't have a degree within the 5 years to play 4 rule?
    Interesting point.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    That would suggest that the NCAA has any sort of consistency in the way they approach rule-making.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Wasn’t there something out there about coach K complaining about the graduate transfer rule? Wouldn’t surprise me if this was to placate him. But then I’m a glass half empty guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    11 cheers for binary!

"Make me a sandwich"
    "Make it yourself"
    "Sudo Make me a sandwich"
    "Okay"

The guys who really do not like the grad transfer rule are mid major coaches who develop an unknown prep player into a star, only to see him leave for a better situation. Some of these guys must really get angry.....like they just got slapped in the face.

Yes, this is basketball and not football.

Basketball teams play 30+ games in a season

Football plays a max of 15 games in a season

Football players can play "4" games and then be redshirted

In basketball if a coach plays a player in a single game, then they forfeit any possibility of getting a redshirt - unless there is an injury and then they have to apply and sometimes they are denied

Football players can transfer and be immediately eligible to play at any school they choose

Basketball players can transfer but have to give up a year of eligibility and sit out an entire season - UNLESS there is some type of hardship or the school is put on NCAA Probation.

Something sure doesn't add up...

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    The guys who really do not like the grad transfer rule are mid major coaches who develop an unknown prep player into a star, only to see him leave for a better situation. Some of these guys must really get angry.....like they just got slapped in the face.
    And I can sort of see their point.

Just the moment that the NCAA frees all players from their ties to a school if a coach leaves, I will have far more sympathy.

As it is, a player can be recruited by a coach, wanting to play for that coach for very personal reasons, and then see that coach himself move on from a mid-major to a high major bc that player did so well, OR see that coach fired by the school bc he didn't do well enough soon enough.

The fact that coaches can tx without sitting out a year, but a player cannot, leaves me with no sympathy for coaches upset that players who have graduated from their school and want to study somewhere else can move along without interruption.

It's not like it's totally unlimited, either. The player has to find a graduate program not available at their own school, which would make it not totally unlimited, and in fact I find that anti-player. Let's say a serious student - like an NGW-type - graduated from the University of Washington, why should he not be allowed to say "I want to go to get an MBA from Stanford rather than the U.W." ?? As the rules are written (as I understand it) he cannot do so. He has to go to a unique program.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Dumb. It's a good incentive to graduate early and get your degree.

Dixie....I don't believe they offer the players a 4 year scholarship ….. they can cut them out for any reason.....it stinks...

I don't think this is a bad rule but think finishing in a year is way too harsh.

The origin of this rule was aimed at student athletes who earned their degrees with eligibility remaining and wanted to pursue their masters in a program NOT offered at their current university. It's obviously become a joke in many cases such as Vernon Adams to Oregon who had to pass a remedial math class to get in whatever grad program Oregon had not offered at EWU. I have no knowledge but I'd bet a large amount of money he didn't graduate any may not have even attended class since grades come out after bowl season. There is also crying from schools like uw who won't take special admits into their grad programs like many schools do.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Dixie....I don't believe they offer the players a 4 year scholarship ….. they can cut them out for any reason.....it stinks...
    Just imagine what would happen if, when they cut those players, the schollie stayed with the player until he graduated!

It would cut down on recruiting over.
    It's not funny.

I think you should always recruit the best players available...my point was that a player can lose his scholarship at any time for any reason but the NCAA continues to limit the opportunities that are available to the players..... who are just pawns in a multi billion dollar game...the system is rigged in favor of the schools and the multi million dollar coaches ….

But it would be great (IMHO) if players were given 5 year scholarships that would be theirs as long as they were meeting academic standards and staying our of serious legal trouble...

Default Possible grad transfer rule change

If already posted please remove.

Maybe they should change the one and done players the same way. If they leave you loose a scholarship for 2 years

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...rket-could-af/

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Horrible for the hardworking students who graduate in 3 years...

So is it a done deal or could the rule remain the same?

To even things out, every coach should have an NCAA-mandated $10 million buyout clause in their contracts.

Make it harder for coaches than players to change schools...after all, they're the ones reaping the financial benefits to an inordinate degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Malastein View Post
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Malastein View Post
    Leave it to the NCAA …. they will always find a way to keep the athletes themselves in a weaker position.

One will NEVER see penalties for coaches who recruit kids and get them signed on the dotted line, but then leave.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

"The Council also defeated a proposal that would have required schools to count financial aid for some postgraduate transfers against team limits for two years, regardless of whether the student remained enrolled after exhausting athletics eligibility. The proposal would have applied only to student-athletes competing in football and basketball."

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...transfer-rules

And walk-ons are immediately eligible to play following transfer.

https://apple.news/AvKbKmbjDSmOit3s_3gEtKQ

NCAA Prez Mark Emmert seemed to indicate he thought it was a bad change, but he has no authority. It's up to the members.
    Dennis Dodd of CBS wrote earlier this week that the people he is speaking with expect it not to pass. What he didn't say is if it does pass, they're opening NCAA to one more avenue for lawsuits. Like they need that! I guarantee you that'd be in court three days later.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...ected-to-pass/

An update.....the DI Council adjusted the transfer rules:

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...transfer-rules

Student-athletes in some specific situations can now transfer and compete immediately without a waiver, the Division I Council decided this week. The Council met Thursday and Friday in Indianapolis.

Incoming college athletes who have enrolled in summer school and received athletics financial aid can transfer and play immediately without a waiver if their head coach departs before the first day of classes for the fall term. Additionally, walk-on student-athletes on teams that provide athletics aid and nonrecruited walk-ons can transfer and play immediately without a waiver. Those rules are effective for students who transfer to new schools this fall.

The changes were supported by the Division I Student-Athlete Advisory Committee.
    The Council also defeated a proposal that would have required schools to count financial aid for some postgraduate transfers against team limits for two years, regardless of whether the student remained enrolled after exhausting athletics eligibility. The proposal would have applied only to student-athletes competing in football and basketball.

Finally, Council members voted to prohibit student-athletes from competing for two different schools in championship season in the same academic year.
    Looks like everything is okay.