Thread: OT: Scheduling Alliance -- American and SEC

Default OT: Scheduling Alliance -- American and SEC

The American

Verified account

@American_Conf
    59m59 minutes ago
    More
    The American and @SEC have partnered to create a scheduling alliance in men's basketball.

Four teams from each conference will play home-and-home series over the course of each of the next two seasons.

http://theamerican.org/news/2019/4/1...-alliance.aspx

I vote we do this with the ACC.

We need to do this with MWC. Perhaps top 2 or top 3 teams.

I wonder if this means that the Big 12/SEC Challenge is dead? It usually takes place in late January. I know that not all Big 12 and SEC teams participate in the challenge because the SEC has 2 more teams than the Big 12. Some teams also just choose not to participate. This maybe a deal where the SEC will continue with the Big 12 Challenge, and the SEC teams who don't participate in that will play the better teams in the American.

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    Ain't going to happen, and I am not just saying that because I don't want to do it. Gonzaga will not want to do it. Gonzaga doesn't want to play any road games against MWC opponents until their league severely improves. Right now, with Musselman gone, every road game is a high risk/low reward deal. I cannot see Few wanting to play anyone in that sinking ship of a conference when he can do a home and home against a big time BCS team or collect big cash by playing a low or mid major at home. The MWC is a dumpster fire right now, and the fire is spreading like crazy due to Musselman's departure. Also, I am sure the MWC isn't happy about the fact that GU used them for leverage in order to gain all that they wanted from the WCC in terms of tournament revenue sharing, the 16 game league sked, etc. They were basically used.

Personally, I am not fond of conference challenges anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    Ugh, no thank you. Need to set our collective sights higher.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Pac 12 perhaps??

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    The American

Verified account

@American_Conf
    59m59 minutes ago
    More
    The American and @SEC have partnered to create a scheduling alliance in men's basketball.

Four teams from each conference will play home-and-home series over the course of each of the next two seasons.

http://theamerican.org/news/2019/4/1...-alliance.aspx

I vote we do this with the ACC.
    The ACC or the Big East are the only conferences I would want to do this with, but they wouldn't get much out of it besides us. Other than that, I say if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Why not try to do something with the Big12, although any of the P6 conferences are unlikely to be willing to play road games versus the WCC outside of Gonzaga. I think the only real option is the MWC in this regard. I would like to see us have a game or two during the league season versus a quality OOC opponents that we choose, not the league chooses.

Alford is a better coach than Musselman. UNLV got an amazing new coach. San Diego State is always good

Might be good for zags and other wcc but what would the ACC have to gain by making an agreement like this? Nothing.

OR>???????????,,,,,,,,,,,,do nothing different Seems to me we've done very well in our OOC scheduling. Fantastic places, major TV and some very nice wins when we play high major programs. Just because other are doing the higher end matchups, our Home and Homes do well too. Abe--> "never the first but never the last"...cepting I've been the first several times.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    Why not try to do something with the Big12

Believe they're expanding to 20 league games next year. Running out of room.
    This ain't rocket surgery!

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Believe they're expanding to 20 league games next year. Running out of room.
    Big 12 only has 10 teams so they can't play more than 18 conference games. Big 10 played 20 this year and ACC plays 20 starting next year so yeah it's going to be more challenging getting non-con games with those 2 conferences in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by ConnZag3 View Post
    Big 12 only has 10 teams so they can't play more than 18 conference games. Big 10 played 20 this year and ACC plays 20 starting next year so yeah it's going to be more challenging getting non-con games with those 2 conferences in the future.

Vulture posted Big 12 & I read Big 10.

Thanks Conn for the correction.
    This ain't rocket surgery!

Yeah on second thought y'all are right about MWC. Home and home with Utah State? No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    OR>???????????,,,,,,,,,,,,do nothing different Seems to me we've done very well in our OOC scheduling. Fantastic places, major TV and some very nice wins when we play high major programs. Just because other are doing the higher end matchups, our Home and Homes do well too. Abe--> "never the first but never the last"...cepting I've been the first several times.
    A Conference tie in is complicated and unnecessary....Gonzaga has plenty of opportunities to improve its non conference schedule independent of the WCC.....and play regional cup cakes that could generate some local interest ...