• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WallaWallaZag
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    https://www.aseaofblue.com/2019/9/20...-chet-holmgren

Must be nice to come into a kids recruitment so late and have solid chance of landing him.
    i'd say only duke and uk have that luxury at this moment...even so, it's not that late...he's only soph after all, so not exactly a wiltjer situation.

Comment

• ZagsGoZags
      Zag for Life
      • Nov 2007

I would love to see the Kennel do something special for of these individuals that visit Kraziness. Like a custom cheer, big pictures of them, etc.

Comment

• zagssuperfan
        Kennel Club Material
        • Jun 2013

Originally posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
        I would love to see the Kennel do something special for of these individuals that visit Kraziness. Like a custom cheer, big pictures of them, etc.
        This is the most highly rated group of kids we've ever had for kraziness, I would be disappointed if they didnt!

Comment

• Zags_Fanatic
          Zag for Life
          • Nov 2012

Nice one from The Athletic that is behind a paywall but has some good info on Holmgren with some quotes from Tommy. Interesting stuff about Jalen Suggs' dad coaching and developing Chet from a young age to play his own unique game.

Dave Holmgren played for Minnesota in the mid-1980s, though knee troubles curtailed his career. A 7-footer, Holmgren received traditional instruction for a guy his size: go stand under the basket. He decided before his son was even born that things would be different for Chet.

“I knew he was going to be a 7-footer who was maybe 200 pounds dripping wet,” he says. “The post is a dead position going forward. I didn’t see any reason to stick him there or label him as a post player.”

The elder Holmgren came across a kindred spirit when he met Larry Suggs, a longtime Twin Cities youth coach. Suggs has always believed in teaching every kid every skill, regardless of size, because each individual grows at his own pace.

He welcomed Holmgren’s son into his program when Chet was a third-grader. Chet saw the way Suggs’ guards could dribble and shoot and tried to emulate them. What nobody knew at the time was just how talented those grade-school guards were. One of them was Tyrell Terry, who’s now a freshman at Stanford. Another was Suggs’ son, Jalen, a five-star prospect ranked No. 22 in The Athletic 40.

Comment

• phxfireflames
            Kennel Club Material
            • Mar 2009

Thanks for the link. I didn't realize the Chet and Jalen's relationship ran that deep. It's a good sign that they are visiting together for Kraziness and that Gonzaga has plenty of bigs currently and in the works to play the 5.

Comment

• kitzbuel
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by phxfireflames View Post
              Thanks for the link. I didn't realize the Chet and Jalen's relationship ran that deep. It's a good sign that they are visiting together for Kraziness and that Gonzaga has plenty of bigs currently and in the works to play the 5.
              Big week coming up!
              'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
              - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• TheBunnieRancher
                Kennel Club Material
                • Oct 2007

This krem report showed up on Twitter tonight.

Comment

• Markburn1
                  Zag for Life
                  • Oct 2015

Originally posted by Hooray4Daye&Gray
                  Just his personality.

I am aware that I can "ignore" jazz. You know who can't? People that browse this board without ever creating an account, which I imagine is the case for most recruits, and friends and family of recruits.

Why do you feel the need to reply to every question and chime in as if every hypothetical posed by a poster is directed at you? You remind me of spy.

When Suggs commits to the Zags, I already bet you that you have to write something nice about Zach Norvell.

If/when Chet commits, will you follow through on your already stated intent to stop posting in the Whelping Box?
                  Let me ask you a couple questions.

Do you really think these athletes and their parents are so thin skinned that a couple of remarks on a message board are going to significantly impact their decisions? Do you think, just maybe, their competitive fire that has gotten them this far would be able to carry them past what someone that they will never meet says? Don't you think the coaching staff and the current players will have an overwhelming effect compared to fans on a digital platform?

I think these athletes are smarter than that and don't need to be coddled as much as some think.

Comment

• Zagdawg
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Maybe --but why take the chance?

Interesting read from Gary Parrish last week. It seems Wisconsin commit Vander Blue decided to re-open his recruitment after fans on the Badgers' message boards bashed Blue for everything from his...

Comment

• willandi
                      Zag for Life
                      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Markburn1 View Post

Do you really think these athletes and their parents are so thin skinned that a couple of remarks on a message board are going to significantly impact their decisions? Do you think, just maybe, their competitive fire that has gotten them this far would be able to carry them past what someone that they will never meet says? Don't you think the coaching staff and the current players will have an overwhelming effect compared to fans on a digital platform?

I think these athletes are smarter than that and don't need to be coddled as much as some think.
                      When Collins announced his going pro and a lot of board members responded poorly, Collins' Dad was reported to be angry about the board members reaction.

So yes, in a perfect world, everybody would be thick skinned. This is the real world. Sometimes people, especially HS students, can get a bad taste in their mouth from comments.

Why risk it?
                      Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• MDABE80
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

We should always be welcomimg to the new recruits or possible players. It's not a good trait to beat em up or criticize before they come... Few's job is to sort out the skills on any given player. There is sufficient history available for us to know that kids have changed their mind because of message boards that get out of hand. If Tommy or Few want a kid AND the kid has some shortcomings, they may take him because they know a kid '[s problems can be fixes and remediated. ALWAYS keep in mind that the squabbling get us nothing but it can hurt the kids that apply. I'd be pretty intolerant of that if I was a Moderator.

Comment

• webspinnre
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Markburn1 View Post

It isn't about coddling, it's about representing Gonzaga in a charitable manner. It's frustrating to see Gonzaga fans behaving uncharitably in a forum like this such that we aren't representing the values that Gonzaga is supposed to be all about as a Catholic university. I know I've had private messages from the families of several recruits/players in the past, so I know they're around.
                          I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• tummydoc
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2013

Did Chet engage with the other recruits? The only pictures I have seen posted did look like he was more focused on his phone than his surroundings. Maybe sampling error, or just the generation he's from. Anyone at the kennel observe the interactions?

Comment

• zagfan08
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

You all are reading way too much into this. HS kids look at their phone a lot. A couple still pictures doesn’t mean he was bored. The real work is done away from the public eye, anyway. We’ve done a lot of good work it seems and I’m sure we’re gonna be right there when Chet eventually decides.

Comment

• cggonzaga
                                Zag for Life
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by tummydoc View Post
                                Did Chet engage with the other recruits? The only pictures I have seen posted did look like he was more focused on his phone than his surroundings. Maybe sampling error, or just the generation he's from. Anyone at the kennel observe the interactions?
                                It seemed like the tricky trio were very engaged and Chet was at times. I took it more as he was taking everything in. He was very happy when the student section chanted at him on occasion.

Comment

Working...
                                X