Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 141

Thread: 2021 - Chet Holmgren

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    And GU pretty low on his list at the moment.

    The kid wants to stay local. Upper midwest. Think MN, Purdue, Marquette, Iowa, et al.

    Then again, he is only going into his Junior season, and still young, so a lot could change b/w now and then...

    At least there is mutual interest, and wonder if Suggs chooses us, could help our case.
    He's stated specifically he knows he is going to visit Gonzaga.

    He has multiple offers from all around the country and many of his visits already have been to places outside of the Midwest.

    Based on his social media, he seems to be extremely open minded to going anywhere in the country based on the best fit for him and play for a coach that doesn't put him in the box of playing center because he is a 7 footer.

    Elite Minnesota kids almost never stay in the upper Midwest. They've gone to places like Kansas and Duke. If we can join these powerhouse programs and start a pipeline with some elite Minnesota talent, we would be much better off for it. Underrated talent and overwhelmingly guys that play the right way. Sam Dower and Geno Crandall were hopefully just the beginning...

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    3,115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hooray4Daye&Gray View Post
    He's stated specifically he knows he is going to visit Gonzaga...
    Are you sure you aren't possibly confusing Walker Kessler with Chet Holmgren? I've noticed a couple posts and posters discuss them interchangeably and mix them up before.

    Walker stated specifically he knows he is going to visit Gonzaga, yet haven't heard Chet say those words.

    I'd be elated and pleasantly surprised if he did though.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    1,159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    And GU pretty low on his list at the moment.

    The kid wants to stay local. Upper midwest. Think MN, Purdue, Marquette, Iowa, et al.

    Then again, he is only going into his Junior season, and still young, so a lot could change b/w now and then...

    At least there is mutual interest, and wonder if Suggs chooses us, could help our case.
    don't take the 247 interest list as a ranking or anything else-- it's generally not very accurate or complete (much less definitive), and is only coarsely ordered. for the majority of recruits, the list starts with a bunch of local schools because they tend to see people first, get involved in recruiting earlier, are more likely to receive unofficial visits or otherwise have a relationship through camps whatever, and tend to be focused in the local press writeups/blogs/forums.

    heck, we've had people take official visits and commit in the past without ever even showing up on their interest list.

    eta: i made an assumption about your source above-- my apologies if i was wrong, but if so please do let us know where you got that info.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    Are you sure you aren't possibly confusing Walker Kessler with Chet Holmgren? I've noticed a couple posts and posters discuss them interchangeably and mix them up before.

    Walker stated specifically he knows he is going to visit Gonzaga, yet haven't heard Chet say those words.

    I'd be elated and pleasantly surprised if he did though.
    Thanks for asking. He responded "Soon" to 2 separate Zag fans on twitter on June 6th when they asked if/when he would visit Gonzaga. If he wasn't planning to visit Gonzaga, my reasoning is that he simply wouldn't reply.

    I tried for the last 30 minutes trying to get my screenshots to post but couldn't figure it out, haha.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    3,115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by soccerdud View Post
    don't take the 247 interest list as a ranking or anything else-- it's generally not very accurate or complete (much less definitive), and is only coarsely ordered. for the majority of recruits, the list starts with a bunch of local schools because they tend to see people first, get involved in recruiting earlier, are more likely to receive unofficial visits or otherwise have a relationship through camps whatever, and tend to be focused in the local press writeups/blogs/forums.

    heck, we've had people take official visits and commit in the past without ever even showing up on their interest list.

    eta: i made an assumption about your source above-- my apologies if i was wrong, but if so please do let us know where you got that info.
    Based solely on 247.

    As much chatter as I've heard regarding Suggs and GU, I haven't heard the same about Chet and GU. He gave us a shout out on Twitter for being offered, yet has done the same for others as well.

    Mark Few has been to Minnesota numerous times to watch them both play, and Chet has listed us in numerous interviews, along with Kansas, and 6 or 7 others.

    I've also never heard Chet say he would be visiting us. I hope to hear/read that soon.

    He is a 2021 recruit, so much can change and/or develop b/w now and then

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    1,159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    Based solely on 247.

    As much chatter as I've heard regarding Suggs and GU, I haven't heard the same about Chet and GU. He gave us a shout out on Twitter for being offered, yet has done the same for others as well.

    Mark Few has been to Minnesota numerous times to watch them both play, and Chet has listed us in numerous interviews, along with Kansas, and 6 or 7 others.

    I've also never heard Chet say he would be visiting us. I hope to hear/read that soon.

    He is a 2021 recruit, so much can change and/or develop b/w now and then
    i think that's the key-- it's really early... at a similar point in suggs recruitment, there was 0 mention of him on this board. in fact, i believe the first mention here came from caldwell in december of '18. and even at that point, a month before he took an official visit (and apparently nearly committed), i don't believe we were in his 247 interest list.

    i also wouldn't expect to hear much concrete about a visit for awhile yet. as i stated above in my *corrected* post, he can't take an official until after the new year and can't even coordinate with the school to schedule an unofficial until next month.

    i just don't think there's enough data (or high enough quality data) to support the concerns you raised, i guess. particularly because we don't usually have the sort of positive indicators that you are referencing at this point in almost ANYONE's recruiting. sure-- dom, anton, and brock are obvious counterexamples who did their recruiting differently-- and i would obviously LOVE for holmgren to follow the same path... but i think it's reading way too much into things to get down on our chances based on the info (or lack of it) that you're citing.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    8,008

    Default

    We get Suggs -- we increase our shot with Chet by a great deal -- as they would love to play together (we also increase the chance that Suggs plays for us for 2 years -- so that he can play with his guy).


    Aaron Pierce


    @BBallplayaz
    Jun 6
    More
    When are you going to visit Gonzaga? Spokane would love to introduce you to the family. #GoZags #ZagFam

    1 reply 0 retweets 7 likes
    Reply 1 Retweet Like 7 View Tweet activity

    chet holmgren


    @ChetHolmgren
    Following Following @ChetHolmgren
    More
    Replying to @BBallplayaz
    Soon

    8:25 AM - 6 Jun 2019

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    1,159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by soccerdud View Post
    i think that's the key-- it's really early... at a similar point in suggs recruitment, there was 0 mention of him on this board. in fact, i believe the first mention here came from caldwell in december of '18. and even at that point, a month before he took an official visit (and apparently nearly committed), i don't believe we were in his 247 interest list.

    i also wouldn't expect to hear much concrete about a visit for awhile yet. as i stated above in my *corrected* post, he can't take an official until after the new year and can't even coordinate with the school to schedule an unofficial until next month.

    i just don't think there's enough data (or high enough quality data) to support the concerns you raised, i guess. particularly because we don't usually have the sort of positive indicators that you are referencing at this point in almost ANYONE's recruiting. sure-- dom, anton, and brock are obvious counterexamples who did their recruiting differently-- and i would obviously LOVE for holmgren to follow the same path... but i think it's reading way too much into things to get down on our chances based on the info (or lack of it) that you're citing.
    so, i read some more about it and i appear to be wrong about a rule, again.

    correcting here: student athletes can take both official and unoffical visits starting august (i think, tho some sites say september-- might be tied to kid's school calendar) of their junior year. i believe this also prohibits communication to arrange/plan such visits prior to that date, but i've been wrong before, hah.

    anyway, maybe we'll hear something in a month IF he's thinking that we're his first visit and he wants to visit asap-- but i still don't think we should overreact to him either waiting or visiting another school first. the fact that he talks about us at all and we're publicly known to be of interest (247 lists aside) is huge. being an early contender on a out-of-region top-10 recruit is win.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    8,008

    Default

    David Sisk


    @CoachDavidSisk
    58m58 minutes ago
    More
    Want to see a 7-1 point guard? Chet Holmgren. Hit a three when the defender went under the ballscreen, finished at the rim when they went over. Takes a lot of pressure of Jalen Suggs. @MinnesotaRivals @mjessenhoward

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    8,008

    Default

    Chet Holmgren: Minnesota’s Finest Big Man Has Finesse

    https://davesjoint.net/2019/07/22/ch...n-has-finesse/

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Posts
    1,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Chet Holmgren: Minnesota’s Finest Big Man Has Finesse

    https://davesjoint.net/2019/07/22/ch...n-has-finesse/
    Perhaps it was just a typo, but Dave mentions Purdue, Baylor, Georgia Tech, Iowa, Iowa State, Marquette and Minnesota in pursuit, but not GU.
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    On an island that is long
    Posts
    12,495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SLOZag View Post
    Perhaps it was just a typo, but Dave mentions Purdue, Baylor, Georgia Tech, Iowa, Iowa State, Marquette and Minnesota in pursuit, but not GU.
    Wouldn't read much into. Think it is more a reflection of the writer than Holmgren.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

    "Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

    Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

    2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    We get Suggs -- we increase our shot with Chet by a great deal -- as they would love to play together (we also increase the chance that Suggs plays for us for 2 years -- so that he can play with his guy).


    Aaron Pierce


    @BBallplayaz
    Jun 6
    More
    When are you going to visit Gonzaga? Spokane would love to introduce you to the family. #GoZags #ZagFam

    1 reply 0 retweets 7 likes
    Reply 1 Retweet Like 7 View Tweet activity

    chet holmgren


    @ChetHolmgren
    Following Following @ChetHolmgren
    More
    Replying to @BBallplayaz
    Soon

    8:25 AM - 6 Jun 2019
    Date not set but trying for Kraziness again with him.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    818

    Default

    This was already posted in the Jalen Suggs thread, but check out Chet Holmgren in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBh-...ature=youtu.be

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    1,159

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    1,222

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by soccerdud View Post
    Yes PLEASE!
    America's Team!

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    8,008

    Default

    That was very nice ---

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    231

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by soccerdud View Post
    I liked watching the dude he put on a poster at the end.

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    I liked watching the dude he put on a poster at the end.
    I don't recall ever seeing a big with handles and moves like that. Wow.
    GU Class of '10, MUSC Class of '14

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    1,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagnificent View Post
    I don't recall ever seeing a big with handles and moves like that. Wow.
    Olynyk?

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,049

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zag_Dad View Post
    Olynyk?
    ZD, you've been around the GU boards for a long time, certainly you can't compare what Olynyk was as a true freshman to what Holmgrem just showed on that video. Holmgrem is what, a junior in HS this year? No way that Olynyk ever had that kind of handle, even as when he left GU.


  23. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    On an island that is long
    Posts
    12,495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spike#1 View Post
    ZD, you've been around the GU boards for a long time, certainly you can't compare what Olynyk was as a true freshman to what Holmgrem just showed on that video. Holmgrem is what, a junior in HS this year? No way that Olynyk ever had that kind of handle, even as when he left GU.

    Beg to differ. Sophmore year, watched him drive the lane, dribble behind the back to burn a defender then lay it in. KO had serious handles. He WAS a PG up until he had a major growth spurt.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

    "Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

    Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

    2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,125

    Default

    KO aslo only had one dunk after his sophomore year... The transformation was unheard of.

    Holmgren is a different animal than most. I wonder how he will adjust to the college game.

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    On an island that is long
    Posts
    12,495

    Default

    That isn't to say that Chet isn't more advanced at this point... just that one should not discount the handles Kelly has.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

    "Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

    Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

    2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •