• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doctorzag
    Banned
    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by doctorzag View Post
    Not sure if this is posted anywhere but Chet blocked 11 shots last night against a team loaded with future D-1 players.
    It was the Jalen and Chet show last night.
    Sorry it was actually 12 blocks. Thats crazy!

Comment

• ZagRecruitWatch
      Kennel Club Alum
      • Jul 2019

Originally posted by caldwellzag View Post
      And there is a lot more than goes into recruiting than Chet saying I want to reclassify. Recruiting is a process for the kids and the school. We have a plan, it involves Chet in 2021. Don't believe every rumor on the internet!!!
      Not a rumor that I read its my personal opinion. Not saying Chet is going to reclassify but the notion that he can't play at the D1 level at a top ranked school today is absurd. You aren't going to find a player much bigger than Dainja and Chet held his own. Also hypothetically if Chet did want to reclassify are you saying Gonzaga would not extend the offer to 2020? IMO I think without a doubt they would.

Comment

• caldwellzag
        Zag for Life
        • Jan 2018

Originally posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
        Not a rumor that I read its my personal opinion. Not saying Chet is going to reclassify but the notion that he can't play at the D1 level at a top ranked school today is absurd. You aren't going to find a player much bigger than Dainja and Chet held his own. Also hypothetically if Chet did want to reclassify are you saying Gonzaga would not extend the offer to 2020? IMO I think without a doubt they would.
        We are all entitled to our opinion, when reading your post you stated the decision is Chet's and I am going to say point blank it is not all Chet's decision, Gonzaga has a large say in it. Chet got moved off his spot all night by Dainja, he stood on the perimeter most the night. Not a negative, but he must fill out to get meaningful minutes a year early at a top ranked D1 school. Look at our bigs who play everyone that has played as a freshman is 30-40 lbs larger than Chet. He weighs 180!!! Chet is a talent, but if he reclassifies it will be due to a commitment and an honest conversation with Tommy and Mark about if we need/want him to reclassify. Paolo would make more sense to reclassify as he has the body, but he has stated he does not plan on it.

Comment

• ZagRecruitWatch
          Kennel Club Alum
          • Jul 2019

I understood your take the first time. You didn't answer the question tho.

Comment

• caldwellzag
            Zag for Life
            • Jan 2018

Originally posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
            I understood your take the first time. You didn't answer the question tho.
            I didn't answer the question as I know it is not in the plans moving forward so why play the what if game. No his offer is for 2021 and that's where the staff sees him fit. And my takes come not from what I saw, but from information and conversations I have with those that know a lot more than we do.

Comment

• ZagaZags
              Banned
              • May 2010

I didn't answer the question as I know it is not in the plans moving forward so why play the what if game. No his offer is for 2021 and that's where the staff sees him fit. And my takes come not from what I saw, but from information and conversations I have with those that know a lot more than we do.
              It feels like Chet is the next shoe to drop in Gonzaga recruiting. The bond he has with Suggs sure seems big.

Comment

• ZagRecruitWatch
                Kennel Club Alum
                • Jul 2019

Fair enough. I think its a interesting hypothetical because as you stated " I am going to say point blank it is not all Chet's decision, Gonzaga has a large say in it." With most recruits I would be inclined to agree but with Chet if he really got it in his head he wanted to reclassify, I doubt Gonzaga would have much choice in the matter unless they wanted to lose him. Additionally, with the space available for next year I'm sure the staff wouldn't mind having him a year early.

Comment

• Goshzagit
                  Zag for Life
                  • Dec 2007

Tall and extremely lanky ectomorph body types never truly gain/put on a ton of weight or muscle. They can get stronger, add joint muscle, yet their long bones are so disproportionate they never truly bulk up.

Chet is an intriguing prospect. We know how skilled he is, esp given his size. An elite level shot blocker/alterer, great length, above average handles, smart player.

He is 6'11"-7'0", 175lbs.

His older profiles lists him as 190lbs, which isnt up to date nor accurate.

He makes Austin Daye and Manut Bol look swol.

Not necessarily a bad thing, just intriguing is all.

A D1 Center cant be 175lbs. Even Tillie is on the lighter/skinny side.

I wonder if you have Chet as a uber tall, lengthy, rangy small forward. Not asked to "bang", can dribble, solid shooter, good feel, westside help D to block shots, use length to guard smaller forwards/guards, etc.

I think you almost have to. Yes, you can occasionally float your center to the perimeter like we do with Tillie and even Wiltjer, yet they still must defend, bang, battle for boards on occasion.

Chet will add 10, maybe 15lbs in college, just his unique body type.

I will be curious his position at next level and beyond...

Comment

• ZagaZags
                    Banned
                    • May 2010

I remember Malik Pope was a tall drink of water. He had some injury issues along to way. To my knowledge Chet Holmgren has been injury free. I hope he picks GU for 2021.

Comment

• zagfan1970
                      Kennel Club Material
                      • Feb 2011

We are all entitled to our opinion, when reading your post you stated the decision is Chet's and I am going to say point blank it is not all Chet's decision, Gonzaga has a large say in it. Chet got moved off his spot all night by Dainja, he stood on the perimeter most the night. Not a negative, but he must fill out to get meaningful minutes a year early at a top ranked D1 school. Look at our bigs who play everyone that has played as a freshman is 30-40 lbs larger than Chet. He weighs 180!!! Chet is a talent, but if he reclassifies it will be due to a commitment and an honest conversation with Tommy and Mark about if we need/want him to reclassify. Paolo would make more sense to reclassify as he has the body, but he has stated he does not plan on it.
                      This⬆️
                      Although I was rooting for his TD he barely missed on pts he clearly does not have the physicality yet. Most of his blocks were in help situations. Paolo already looks like Watson whereas I can’t imagine Holmgren banging with Ballo, Timme, and Zakharov. Usually the points are the easiest part of a TD but Chet had an easier time with RB and blocks. To me that is bc as Caldwell mentioned he was frequently moved off of his spots.

Comment

• IowaSERE
                        Bleeds GU Blue
                        • Oct 2008

We have plenty of bangers in Ballo, TImme, and BIg Z. I see him as more of a 4, like KG or Durant. Can't get moved off his spot if his spot starts out at the 3 pt line. His true value won't be on O at 1st, it will be his helpside D which we are severely lacking right now. Hopefully Ballo will be the answer for next year, but if not, and we lose Petro, we have a glaring weakness in the middle of our D.

Comment

• webspinnre
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

It seems pretty clear to me that he's not a center, and not even a traditional power forward. A stretch-4 at most. Tons of talent, but we wouldn't want to pigeonhole him into something that he isn't.
                          I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• tummydoc
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2013

I recall there was mention that he didnt view himself as a center and wanted to consider programs that would provide an opportunity to showcase his talents outside the key.

Comment

• Mr Vulture
                              Zag for Life
                              • May 2008

Originally posted by webspinnre View Post
                              It seems pretty clear to me that he's not a center, and not even a traditional power forward. A stretch-4 at most. Tons of talent, but we wouldn't want to pigeonhole him into something that he isn't.
                              He looks like Kristaps Porzingas (body wise) when he was drafted by the NBA. He will grow into his body over time but the skill set is there to be great which will only continue to develop. As talented as Chet is, he could possibly be a 2 year guy in college from a physical development point of view.

Comment

• Zagdawg
                                Zag for Life
                                • Feb 2007

Makes first team

MaxPreps 2019-20 Boys Basketball Junior All-American Team

Chet Holmgren, Minnehaha Academy (Minneapolis)
                                7-0 | Junior | Center | Uncommitted
                                The No. 2 prospect in the junior class had a big-time year headlined by 9 points, 10 rebounds and 12 blocks in a signature win over Sierra Canyon.

Comment

Working...
                                X