• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bogozags
    Zag for Life
    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    Wow..interesting. From what I heard, even if eligible, Ballo would have had very spotty minutes along the lines of Rui his first year. I think Ballo is on a very similar plan and would be beyond shocked if he burst onto the scene next year to the level of leaving after one year. This isn't a slam on Ballo at all, I just think we get all fired up on young guys being gone right away anymore. Before the season started we were reading posters predicting Watson and Timme would be one and dones...haha.
    Were you able to watch any of the FIFA games this past summer? If not you might wish to find them on-line and take a good, close look at him. He isn't as polished as some but that raw talent is just unbelievable. When he gets on the court next season he will be a dominant player for GU. He isn't BC but then no one is BUT I believe he will be the one of the best post players ever at GU if not the best...IMO he will only be enter the draft after next season and will be a Top 10 pick...if he learns to shoot the "3" then he could go Top 5...

Everyone looks at players differently as do I but he is very special and we will all come to appreciate his play...what a grab by Coach Few's staff...

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
      Zag for Life
      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Bogozags View Post
      Were you able to watch any of the FIFA games this past summer? If not you might wish to find them on-line and take a good, close look at him. He isn't as polished as some but that raw talent is just unbelievable. When he gets on the court next season he will be a dominant player for GU. He isn't BC but then no one is BUT I believe he will be the one of the best post players ever at GU if not the best...IMO he will only be enter the draft after next season and will be a Top 10 pick...if he learns to shoot the "3" then he could go Top 5...

Everyone looks at players differently as do I but he is very special and we will all come to appreciate his play...what a grab by Coach Few's staff...
      He will have the added experience from redshirting and practicing with the team for a year. I expect him to hit the ground running. I don’t think he will look nearly green as Zakharov has this season. I think Ballo will be ready for prime time.

Comment

• caldwellzag
        Zag for Life
        • Jan 2018

Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
        He will have the added experience from redshirting and practicing with the team for a year. I expect him to hit the ground running. I don’t think he will look nearly green as Zakharov has this season. I think Ballo will be ready for prime time.
        I agree with you on Ballo. Zakharov is green this year because he is young and not redshirting. I think those two in the middle next year will be a force.

Comment

• Gonzagit
          Kennel Club Material
          • Nov 2017

Originally posted by caldwellzag View Post
          I agree with you on Ballo. Zakharov is green this year because he is young and not redshirting. I think those two in the middle next year will be a force.
          Agree. Pavel is green, but due to inexperience. He moves really well and has a high motor. I think he will make a major leap next year. Could be an NBA prospect.

Comment

• Mr Vulture
            Zag for Life
            • May 2008

Originally posted by Bogozags View Post

Yes, I saw the highlights. I also saw the highlights of Rui and Ayayi in past years. I also saw them need time to translate into learning the college game. It is not a slam or down point on Ballo, I just think he is very young and raw. I fully expect him to be a star as he develops but not next season although I do think he will be a solid contributor. Like I said, every kid that comes in I hear about how they are going to be an instant start (see Watson/Timme) this year. In almost every case, they need a year or two hit their potential which is not an issue...it's just that we always seem to want to anoint the next guy before they play with monster expectations.

Comment

• hooter73
              Zag for Life
              • Jun 2008

Holmgren coming in after them would be a huge, huge get in terms of continuing the two + center/forward hybrids that can really do it all that we've been having for a lot of years now. Heytvelt, Daye, KO, heck Sacre guarded Delevadova, Collins, Clarke, Tillie... we have a great history with nontraditional big men and he would definitely be next in line for that list.

Comment

• gonzagafan62
                Zag for Life
                • Nov 2013

Originally posted by hooter73 View Post
                Holmgren coming in after them would be a huge, huge get in terms of continuing the two + center/forward hybrids that can really do it all that we've been having for a lot of years now. Heytvelt, Daye, KO, heck Sacre guarded Delevadova, Collins, Clarke, Tillie... we have a great history with nontraditional big men and he would definitely be next in line for that list.
                Sabonis shut down collinsworth (I believe with 4 fouls too) for the last 7-9 mins of 2016 WCC tournament too. (Sorry I know it’s OT)

But I agree. Would be good to get another hybrid! Sounds like a great get to me
                Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• GonzagasaurusFlex
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Mr Vulture View Post
                  Yes, I saw the highlights. I also saw the highlights of Rui and Ayayi in past years. I also saw them need time to translate into learning the college game. It is not a slam or down point on Ballo, I just think he is very young and raw. I fully expect him to be a star as he develops but not next season although I do think he will be a solid contributor. Like I said, every kid that comes in I hear about how they are going to be an instant start (see Watson/Timme) this year. In almost every case, they need a year or two hit their potential which is not an issue...it's just that we always seem to want to anoint the next guy before they play with monster expectations.
                  Good points all. We here on GUBoards seem to be quick to anoint new players as the next big thing. I’d love to see Anton Watson have some statement games to declare “I got next” but it seems the transition to D1 takes time.

I hope Ayayi remains a Zag for next season so he can experience being a go to player for this squad.
                  Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

• kitzbuel
                    • Feb 2007

I just noticed that there is a Chet Holmgren thread on the UNC premium board. Seems he is on their radar.
                    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• strikenowhere
                      Zag for Life
                      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by kitzbuel View Post
                      I just noticed that there is a Chet Holmgren thread on the UNC premium board. Seems he is on their radar.
                      Sure would be nice to put a nail in that coffin this Wednesday (if only it worked like that!)

Comment

• zagfan08
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

He’s a top 5 prospect in his class. Gonna be on everyone’s radar.

Comment

• Bogozags
                          Zag for Life
                          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
                          Good points all. We here on GUBoards seem to be quick to anoint new players as the next big thing. I’d love to see Anton Watson have some statement games to declare “I got next” but it seems the transition to D1 takes time.

I hope Ayayi remains a Zag for next season so he can experience being a go to player for this squad.
                          Flex, I'm with you...hope he stays too! Just an observation not sure at this point in time, he is "good enough" for the league...it would seem one more year of hard work might be the fix he needs...IMO

Comment

• basketballzag
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Can't wait to see his number in a Gonzaga uniform.

Comment

• ZagaZags
                              Banned
                              • May 2010

Originally posted by basketballzag View Post
                              Can't wait to see his number in a Gonzaga uniform.
                              Chet and Suggs will look great in 2021. (assuming Suggs returns in 2021)

Comment

• Kong-Kool-Aid
                                Zag for Life
                                • Nov 2009

Originally posted by ZagaZags View Post
                                Chet and Suggs will look great in 2021. (assuming Suggs returns in 2021)
                                And Banchero!

Comment

Working...
                                X