Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 - Chet Holmgren

Found a really great article shedding some light on Holmgren's recruitment process. Gives a lot of insight on what we can expect out of Chet as things move down the line.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals....-chet-holmgren

Also, my first ever post on this forum.

Welcome to the group!!!
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Chet just needs to look at how Coach Few used Wiltjer. He was allowed to play outside, but was posted up when he had a mismatch. This is just what Chet is looking for according to that article. Come on down Chet, we will welcome you with open arms.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
    Chet just needs to look at how Coach Few used Wiltjer. He was allowed to play outside, but was posted up when he had a mismatch. This is just what Chet is looking for according to that article. Come on down Chet, we will welcome you with open arms.
    Apt description. They have attempted to sell him on being a similar player to Killian Tillie.

One thing that he talked about as well is a spring decision to see the personnel of the schools he's looking at. That slightly worries me just because of how loaded our team is now and with all the top prospects we're currently recruiting, we might not have enough room for him. Good problems to have, I guess.
    Last edited by ZagsTilDeath; 04-12-2020 at 08:01 PM. Reason: misspell

If he wants to come Coach Few will find a place for him, you just don't turn down a player of his talent. I see him as possibly being a combination of Wiltjer,and Tillie. That would be run like Tillie and shoot like Wiltjer, we could always use a player with that combination of talent and skill.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
    If he wants to come Coach Few will find a place for him, you just don't turn down a player of his talent. I see him as possibly being a combination of Wiltjer,and Tillie. That would be run like Tillie and shoot like Wiltjer, we could always use a player with that combination of talent and skill.
    I dont think it would be Few turning him down, I think it would be Holmgren looking at the roster and seeing possibly Watson, Timme, Ballo, Zakharov, Strawther, Arlauskas, Perry with a chance of having Banchero or Bittle and thinking that's a lot of talent at the 3-5 and there may be a lot of competition for some limited minutes. I think that's what Holmgren meant when he said, "if there is 6 big dudes at a school, it is definitely something that is going to weigh into my decision."

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    I dont think it would be Few turning him down, I think it would be Holmgren looking at the roster and seeing possibly Watson, Timme, Ballo, Zakharov, Strawther, Arlauskas, Perry with a chance of having Banchero or Bittle and thinking that's a lot of talent at the 3-5 and there may be a lot of competition for some limited minutes. I think that's what Holmgren meant when he said, "if there is 6 big dudes at a school, it is definitely something that is going to weigh into my decision."
    Well, he’s better than about half of those listed, so I don’t really see the problem. But, I see how his statement could give rise to concern.

The term “embarrassment of riches” comes to mind. It is surreal to potentially miss out on excellent player like him because there is too much talent on the roster already.

Kentucky Sports posted this today:

"NOT ON UK’S RADAR?
    Chet Holmgren — the No. 4 player in the Rivals.com rankings for 2021 — did an extensive Q&A session with the website [Rivals] last week, touching on various aspects of his development, recruitment and the schools pursuing him. “He did not bring up Kentucky whatsoever,” Rivals.com’s Corey Evans said, when asked by the Herald-Leader. That’s not entirely a surprise. Holmgren — a 7-foot, 190-pound junior from Minnesota — is arguably the most intriguing prospect in the 2021 class. He’s a terrific rim-protector, but he’s also a player looking to play on the perimeter in college. He told the Herald-Leader in the fall that he’d be interested to hear from UK, but that he hadn’t yet. Evans didn’t write off the possibility of Kentucky interest in the future, but Holmgren has been on the national radar for more than a year, and it seems unlikely the Cats would jump into a crowded recruitment now.

Evans mentioned Gonzaga, Minnesota and Ohio State as three schools that “are really in there,” adding Georgetown, Memphis and North Carolina as three more that have done a good job in his recruitment so far. Holmgren said he’d likely hold off on a college decision until after the 2020-21 season is completed, so any kind of recruiting commitment could still be a year away."

They also included this YouTube highlight video of Chet: https://youtu.be/HOJQl5uYFsA

https://www.kentucky.com/sports/coll...242066646.html
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

I have heard of no interest in him here in Kentucky.

And Michigan is knocking

https://mobile.twitter.com/ChetHolmg...896128/photo/1

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

“As far as his recruitment goes, I think it’s wide open,” said Burns. “From what I’ve been told I don’t think he is leaning any which way. You have the Gonzaga connection with his teammate there in Jalen Suggs.

https://247sports.com/college/michig...ren-146738502/

Quote Originally Posted by phxfireflames View Post
    I can definitely tell this is a columnist appealing to his crowd. There is no question that we lead the recruitment race for Chet.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    I can definitely tell this is a columnist appealing to his crowd. There is no question that we lead the recruitment race for Chet.
    Does that include over G league?

Am I the only one on this board that is not happy about the G League becoming a competitor to the NCAA for high level talent? I read where some people say it is not a problem but the Daishen Nix situation where he signed a LOI and then backed out of it to join the G League is very concerning to me. Perhaps i am the only one that doesn't like it but when it could have potentially involved Jalen Suggs, or Chet Holmgren in the future or anybody else - I don't care for it. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by jsnider View Post
    Am I the only one on this board that is not happy about the G League becoming a competitor to the NCAA for high level talent? I read where some people say it is not a problem but the Daishen Nix situation where he signed a LOI and then backed out of it to join the G League is very concerning to me. Perhaps i am the only one that doesn't like it but when it could have potentially involved Jalen Suggs, or Chet Holmgren in the future or anybody else - I don't care for it. Just sayin'.
    It is ironic that this is happening during unprecedented times in our recruiting. That being said, I would like to think that the type of players we are after aren't going to be easily convinced to choose the money over college.

I don't care for it either, but my preference would be for the NBA to do away with the 'not straight out of HS' rule, and the NCAA to implement a rule like baseball, either go straight out of HS or have a 2 year commitment.
    I am more angry about Covid-19 and those that deny and spread the disease. I would like to see the next season play out in its entirety.
    It's not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    I don't care for it either, but my preference would be for the NBA to do away with the 'not straight out of HS' rule, and the NCAA to implement a rule like baseball, either go straight out of HS or have a 2 year commitment.
    I am more angry about Covid-19 and those that deny and spread the disease. I would like to see the next season play out in its entirety.
    The G league is inevitable givin the NCAA unwillingness to revisit the concept of amateurism and how it applies to the high level college student athlete. You will always have players that overestimate their worth and ability or players who need to make money now. I like the idea you offer to be like baseball, and I see the G league being a way to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by EEzag View Post
    The G league is inevitable givin the NCAA unwillingness to revisit the concept of amateurism and how it applies to the high level college student athlete. You will always have players that overestimate their worth and ability or players who need to make money now. I like the idea you offer to be like baseball, and I see the G league being a way to get there.
    Not so fast with the G League talk...just my opinion. This "concept" was born before owners and players having to react to the revenues lost from China, and no Covid. Trying to look into an opaque crystal ball, but I suspect the G League and the WNBA will be collateral damage when all is said and done.

I haven't followed Chet's development, and he's obviously a heck of a prospect. But, 7 feet and only 190 pounds? That cries out for a year with Travis Knight in Spokane.

I don't care for it either, but my preference would be for the NBA to do away with the 'not straight out of HS' rule, and the NCAA to implement a rule like baseball, either go straight out of HS or have a 2 year commitment
    I hate the G League too. I would much prefer a solution like this. Why? People disagree with me, but I stand by my position.

1) The entire goal of the G league is to GET OUT OF IT. Meanwhile, you have basketball, the most cooperative sport that there is. 7 things often have to occur for LeBron to get a one second look at a jumper. Who wants to spend their time setting screens in the G league. It's not going to get you into the NBA.

2) I have been to several G League games. Small crowds and local area people who have zero emotional investment in their team because their players can be taken away from them at any time. There is no chance for fans to development a player/fan relationship.

3) Because players are being brought up and down, there is zero emotional impact when it comes to winning and losing basketball games. Winning a championships means nothing. Not when the team's center can be called up before a big game. Players playing in big games in front of large audiences in front of fans whose emotional investment in their players and teams is HUGE is the single most underrated developmental aspect in the game of basketball. When you lose a key game, you SHOULD feel miserable. Feeling miserable makes players want to be better players so they do not have to feel that way feel again. Losing sucks.

This is my most controversial take, but I will stand by it until the day I perish. I guarantee you that Mark Few, Bob McKillop, Tom Izzo, and Randy Bennett are better basketball coaches than anyone who coaches in the G League. I don't care what anyone says. Why? Most of their college players are not pros, and their ability to be teachers of the game is so much more refined and developed due to it. They MUST develop players or they lose their job. Most G League coaches are former NBA staffers who used to only care about preparing for the next game. They have to change their orientation more towards teaching the game than preparing for games. They lack experience. The point of the G league should be to develop players, and that includes keeping teams intact through an entire season so that winning games MATTERS. I have known a couple of NBA players, when asking an assistant for help on their jumper, were told: "Hire someone, this isn't remedial school. I have game tape to look at it." Both men had million+ contracts. I am sorry, but I trust Mark Few to develop a player more than any coach in the G league because player development has been his primary job ever since he signed on as an assistant at GU. The guy is a teacher of the game. I hate the G League. If you wanna ditch college, go into the draft or play in Europe.
    Last edited by CDC84; 05-06-2020 at 11:55 PM.

There should be relegation in basketball. Things would be much more interesting in the NBA if losing meant you went to an under league. There’s no way Philadelphia unleashes tankapalooza for 5 years. Seattle would also get a team, and a few East coast teams might have to go down to the lower league.

That's an interesting idea Mal.

I just don't feel players develop when winning and losing loses significance. There is zero need to wanna get better. To become a winner. And so much of being a winner in basketball is about team cooperation. Look I know a lot of folks would love the NBA to create a minor league system like Major League Baseball, but baseball was the game I played all the way thru high school year round, and it is really an individual sport between the batter and hitter. I know thru the ABQ Isotopes that fans don't like their players being called up in September, but it assists in player development. In basketball, in damages or slows player development. The sport is so cooperative. Playing in games that matter is so important to making guys better.

Default I personaly have no problem with it.

My take has always been that collage basketball is simply the better game. While some top level players may decide to chase the payday, they won't improve the product that the NBA and it's spin-offs offer.

The collage game won't suffer from this. Just look at how many multiple year collegiate players become top notch players and fan favorites. They want to be in school and/or weren't the anointed one out of high school. I like watching newcomers proceed from the bench to starters later in their career.

I for one would much rather have a game filled with these players than the others. Let the one-and-doners go their own way and I think the collage game improves.

Quote Originally Posted by Malastein View Post
    There should be relegation in basketball. Things would be much more interesting in the NBA if losing meant you went to an under league. There’s no way Philadelphia unleashes tankapalooza for 5 years. Seattle would also get a team, and a few East coast teams might have to go down to the lower league.
    By all means... relegate my Knicks... Maybe it will finally make Little Prince Jimmy Dolan sell the team.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death