Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 - Chet Holmgren

Default 2021 - Chet Holmgren

Per his twitter, Chet Holmgren has been offered by GU
    Last edited by LongIslandZagFan; 08-22-2019 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Per his twitter, Chet Holmgrem has been offered by GU
    We have had our eye on him and been in contact with both him and Suggs (they are teammates). Although I believe he is 2021 not 2020 unless he is reclassifying and I am not sure of it.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    We have had our eye on him and been in contact with both him and Suggs (they are teammates). Although I believe he is 2021 not 2020 unless he is reclassifying and I am not sure of it.
    you're right. He is 2021!!

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    you're right. He is 2021!!
    He is our first 2021 offer, although I think we will offer Gregg and Carlson her shortly.

Good looking kid. I'd recruit Suggs water boy if that's what it takes!

Geez!!! Kid looks great out there! Sign him up!
    "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    Good looking kid. I'd recruit Suggs water boy if that's what it takes!
    We are in full Suggs recruitment mode right now. Today will help, but offering Maxwell and now Holmgrem certainly will show how bad we want him here. Suggs may be one and done and never play with Holmgrem, but it shows just how high we are on Suggs.

We are in full Suggs recruitment mode right now. Today will help, but offering Maxwell and now Holmgrem certainly will show how bad we want him here. Suggs may be one and done and never play with Holmgrem, but it shows just how high we are on Suggs.
    The question that pops into my mind is 'How good is the Suggs, Maxwell, Holmgren team? If the Zags are offering all three, but they weren't very good as a team, it seems like a lot of eggs in one basket.

It also seems like if Strawther commits, then Suggs and Maxwell, that room will have to be made. Are they good enough to do that? I would hope that the Zags coaching staff has been having talks with the players on the team, letting THEM know what might happen, just so it isn't a sudden 'Oh, by the way, your schollie isn't being renewed".

Totally off the wall, if Foster's Dad was NBA, would he have enough money to walk on to the team?
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    The question that pops into my mind is 'How good is the Suggs, Maxwell, Holmgren team? If the Zags are offering all three, but they weren't very good as a team, it seems like a lot of eggs in one basket.

It also seems like if Strawther commits, then Suggs and Maxwell, that room will have to be made. Are they good enough to do that? I would hope that the Zags coaching staff has been having talks with the players on the team, letting THEM know what might happen, just so it isn't a sudden 'Oh, by the way, your schollie isn't being renewed".

Totally off the wall, if Foster's Dad was NBA, would he have enough money to walk on to the team?
    Holmgrem is 2021 and there should be plenty of room by then. We are in a new world of Gonzaga basketball and a lot of these guys are only going to be around from 1-3 years. Maxwell will be a role player, his offer would be along the lines of a Foster offer. You need these guys to be here and be in the program to make practice run better and then when they get a few minutes maybe they figure it out. Suggs is worth bring Maxwell on board in 2020 with him, Holmgrem is good enough on his own for a spot.

Holmgrem is 2021 and there should be plenty of room by then. We are in a new world of Gonzaga basketball and a lot of these guys are only going to be around from 1-3 years. Maxwell will be a role player, his offer would be along the lines of a Foster offer. You need these guys to be here and be in the program to make practice run better and then when they get a few minutes maybe they figure it out. Suggs is worth bring Maxwell on board in 2020 with him, Holmgrem is good enough on his own for a spot.
    And the answer to the money question is yes they do have the money, but honestly these players work hard to get a scholarship not live off daddy's money. Look at Foster same thing.

And the answer to the money question is yes they do have the money, but honestly these players work hard to get a scholarship not live off daddy's money. Look at Foster same thing.
    I would MUCH rather see Few use his ever-growing contact list (he is now sort of universally seen as "Hall of Fame" bound for what he's done, deservedly so) to get these kids to a place and a coach where they will be happy, playing, fulfilled. To me, THAT in no way lets the kid down like yanking a scholia would.

Of course, it would ultimately be left up to the player, Few could say "Here are the options. First, I have a lot of friends out there, and we could find yu a …. OR, if you really do want to stay, then we can work on a traditional financial aid package and see …. "

I suspect they do something just like that.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Good article on Chet. Know that this article was written before our offer went out, but was released today due to Corey getting approval from Chet prior to releasing it.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals....hools-involved

Wow. Looks like a young Collins.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Wow. Looks like a young Collins.

Did Collins jump like that? I’m trying to imagine Holmgrem’s bounce with some muscle added to his frame.
    Parlez-vous français?

Nike Elite 100: Top 10 class of 2021 Performers

Name: Chet Holmgren

Position: Center

247Sports Composite Ranking: No. 13

Recruiting: Minnesota, Purdue, Texas, Baylor, Gonzaga, Ohio State, and others

He is no doubt very skinny, but like he did all spring long, Holmgren showed how dominant he can be. Holmgren is an elite shot blocker, runs the floor very well, and then also can step out and hit threes. Beyond that, on offense he is not afraid to mix it up in the paint, and he finished fairly well around the rim. He will always have some physical challenges, but Holmgren competes on the glass, and shows a unique ability to rebound out of his area, especially on the offensive end.

https://247sports.com/college/basket...5/#133257845_3

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Nike Elite 100: Top 10 class of 2021 Performers

Name: Chet Holmgren

Position: Center

247Sports Composite Ranking: No. 13

Recruiting: Minnesota, Purdue, Texas, Baylor, Gonzaga, Ohio State, and others

He is no doubt very skinny, but like he did all spring long, Holmgren showed how dominant he can be. Holmgren is an elite shot blocker, runs the floor very well, and then also can step out and hit threes. Beyond that, on offense he is not afraid to mix it up in the paint, and he finished fairly well around the rim. He will always have some physical challenges, but Holmgren competes on the glass, and shows a unique ability to rebound out of his area, especially on the offensive end.

https://247sports.com/college/basket...5/#133257845_3
    Holmgrem has already said he is still unsure of what schools he will visit officially but one school that he does know that he will visit is Gonzaga.

Would love to have him come visit with Suggs, Dom and Julian.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Would love to have him come visit with Suggs, Dom and Julian.
    would be awesome, but i don't believe that holmgren can come on an official visit until 2nd semester next year. i imagine the trio's visit will be before then.

Quote Originally Posted by soccerdud View Post
    would be awesome, but i don't believe that holmgren can come on an official visit until 2nd semester next year. i imagine the trio's visit will be before then.
    No reason he can’t unofficially visit while they are here right?

Quote Originally Posted by northsidezagfan View Post
    No reason he can’t unofficially visit while they are here right?
    no rule against it, that i know of. but i don't believe he's allowed to have any contact with the coaching staff or players while on an unofficial (along with having to pay for it all himself), so it's not like they'd all get to tour the facilities together or hang out much.

sure, they can make it happen if they really want to-- he can be in spokane when they are... but the NCAA rules around the whole thing make it really unlikely and actually make most of the cool (and adventageous) recruiting moments that you're picturing illegal. it's stupid.

i'm just glad things look so good with suggs, and i'm cautiously optimistic on holmgren.

ETA: correction-- apparently he can arrange the unofficial with the athletic department and meet with coaches as long as the communication happens after august 1st of the junior year. i didn't realize that exception existed, so i was just wrong. the combined unofficial looks like a real possibility-- if holmgren wants it enough to spend own money. but if that's the case, don't expect to hear anything about it until after august 1st, just to be safe from NCAA issues.

In the last 247 updates they have Chet all the way up to #6 in the composite rankings and #4 in the 247 rankings. Would be a great get for the Zags!

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Ba...oup=highschool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GuZag2012 View Post
    In the last 247 updates they have Chet all the way up to #6 in the composite rankings and #4 in the 247 rankings. Would be a great get for the Zags!

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Ba...oup=highschool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yep 4 on 247, and 7 on both Rivals and ESPN. He is really shooting up the rankings.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    Yep 4 on 247, and 7 on both Rivals and ESPN. He is really shooting up the rankings.
    And GU pretty low on his list at the moment.

The kid wants to stay local. Upper midwest. Think MN, Purdue, Marquette, Iowa, et al.

Then again, he is only going into his Junior season, and still young, so a lot could change b/w now and then...

At least there is mutual interest, and wonder if Suggs chooses us, could help our case.

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    And GU pretty low on his list at the moment.

The kid wants to stay local. Upper midwest. Think MN, Purdue, Marquette, Iowa, et al.

Then again, he is only going into his Junior season, and still young, so a lot could change b/w now and then...

At least there is mutual interest, and wonder if Suggs chooses us, could help our case.
    Hmm..not what I’ve heard.