Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast

Thread: 2021 - Chet Holmgren

Sorry to go off track and ask a Chet question, but how long do we hold a spot for him before we have to start considering other prospects who are ready to commit? Do we wait until August if need be?

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Sorry to go off track and ask a Chet question, but how long do we hold a spot for him before we have to start considering other prospects who are ready to commit? Do we wait until August if need be?
    You wait until he declares.

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    I think the only 2021 recruits we have offers to are Holmgren and Sallis, besides Perry. If they choose elsewhere most 2021 recruits have already committed to other schools. Should have a good nucleaus coming back anyway and there will be a ton of transfers next season that can fill holes if need be. They'll gladly wait as long as it takes for Chet. Staff could already have an answer now too, they knew way before us what Suggs was going to do.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    This is a fun what if scenario to wonder about. Highly unlikely given Suggs’ apparent serious consideration of going G League route but what if Suggs decides to stay and ball out w Holmgren for a year. As a dual sport athlete all through HS, it would presumably be only the 2nd year of his entire life devoted to basketball skills development only. As good as Suggs is now, I think he would improve dramatically in one more year under tutelage of Zags staff.
    I’ll date Eva mendes before jalen plays year two in Spokane

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    I’ll date Eva mendes before jalen plays year two in Spokane
    You'll be sure to let us know how it goes, right?
    At least someone, somewhere, is laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    This is a fun what if scenario to wonder about. Highly unlikely given Suggs’ apparent serious consideration of going G League route but what if Suggs decides to stay and ball out w Holmgren for a year. As a dual sport athlete all through HS, it would presumably be only the 2nd year of his entire life devoted to basketball skills development only. As good as Suggs is now, I think he would improve dramatically in one more year under tutelage of Zags staff.
    You do realise that players also develop in the nba? No classes to attend, just pure focus on basketball.
    And if he gets injured, he is still set for life. No point of risking career ending injury, playing for free.

There is no way in hell, Jalen stays for another year.
    Last edited by Irish_eliZAG; 02-17-2021 at 05:51 AM.
    Probably the only Gonzaga fan in Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Kinda like Jalen....he's having the time of his life with us. Of course he can go NBA any time he wants. Life's funny though...........you ( at least I do) look back and enjoy the things I had when all my friends were around and we could do things together . Like Play ball. Even in Med school I played fast pitch and basketball intramural. Then I went home or to the lab and worked my rear off . When It all became serious like as an adult. I made a lot more money but the joy of my guys being around me was gone. I guess It's something for these Uber talented basketball player should think about. We get Chet, maybe, just maybe, we keep Jalen for another year. Pipe dream I know butChet and Drew underneath and our guards? Might be the best team to play college ball.... Now that'd be fun.
    Doc,

Kelly said the same thing...wished he would have stayed one more year...can't go back once you've left...you have the rest of your life to be an adult like you said...

Silly thought but if for some reason we don't win the Natty, then MAYBE, just MAYBE Jalen might play one more year with Chet...I am not suggesting we try to lose but as Coach Few said Sunday, you really have to be lucky to win it all...seems like we may have 10 or 12 games remaining in this season...

Oh, FAST PITCH!!! I played the "hot-box" back in those days and still have all my teeth!

As with Suggs, coach and staff already know Chet's decision, it's the rest of us who are out of the loop.

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    I think the only 2021 recruits we have offers to are Holmgren and Sallis, besides Perry. If they choose elsewhere most 2021 recruits have already committed to other schools. Should have a good nucleaus coming back anyway and there will be a ton of transfers next season that can fill holes if need be. They'll gladly wait as long as it takes for Chet. Staff could already have an answer now too, they knew way before us what Suggs was going to do.
    What abut Fenbo Zeng? There was talk about him reclassifying up a year. And where does Ben Gregg fit as a mid season addition. Both could possibly be 2021 class in principle?

Quote Originally Posted by A to Zags View Post
    What abut Fenbo Zeng? There was talk about him reclassifying up a year. And where does Ben Gregg fit as a mid season addition. Both could possibly be 2021 class in principle?
    Ben Gregg I think goes to 2020, he graduated in fall 2020 and joined the team. Fanbo Zeng as of now is 2022, but could reclassify. Either way nobody is going to say "Chet you're taking too long, we are moving on to someone else."

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    Ben Gregg I think goes to 2020, he graduated in fall 2020 and joined the team. Fanbo Zeng as of now is 2022, but could reclassify. Either way nobody is going to say "Chet you're taking too long, we are moving on to someone else."
    This season doesn't count against Gregg's eligibility. He still has 4 years to play, or 5 with a rs year

Quote Originally Posted by Irish_eliZAG View Post
    You do realise that players also develop in the nba? No classes to attend, just pure focus on basketball.
    And if he gets injured, he is still set for life. No point of risking career ending injury, playing for free.

There is no way in hell, Jalen stays for another year.
    Yes, I am indeed aware player development occurs in the NBA and most prudent choice for Suggs is to go pro, of course. Note first sentence of my comment: “This is a fun what if scenario to wonder about.” Relax, daydream, engage in frivolous what if imaginings once in a while.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    This season doesn't count against Gregg's eligibility. He still has 4 years to play, or 5 with a rs year
    Yes, Ballo also could have 4 years left to play. Strawther and Harris too, none of them are in the 2021 class. Gregg graduated in 2020 and joined the team in 2020. If you look at 247 they have him part of our 2020 class now, which I think moved us up to #6 class.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Doc,

Kelly said the same thing...wished he would have stayed one more year...can't go back once you've left...you have the rest of your life to be an adult like you said...

Silly thought but if for some reason we don't win the Natty, then MAYBE, just MAYBE Jalen might play one more year with Chet...I am not suggesting we try to lose but as Coach Few said Sunday, you really have to be lucky to win it all...seems like we may have 10 or 12 games remaining in this season...

Oh, FAST PITCH!!! I played the "hot-box" back in those days and still have all my teeth!
    And no broken nose?? It the hot corner for a reason. Reflexes are essential........to protect yourself in nothing else. Aluminum bats are killers!

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    And no broken nose?? It the hot corner for a reason. Reflexes are essential........to protect yourself in nothing else. Aluminum bats are killers!
    I had the best "ducking skills" in the Philippines...lol

From Jim Meehan, The Spokesman-Review, Spokane, Wash.

Gonzaga recruit Chet Holmgren finalist for Naismith prep player of the year.

Feb. 18—Gonzaga recruit Chet Holmgren, the No. 1-ranked prospect in the 2021 class, is one of five finalists for the Naismith Trophy High School Player of the Year.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/gonzaga-r...030100342.html

Wasn't Chet supposed to announce this week? Guess not...
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyzag View Post
    No he wasn’t. No date yet.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyzag View Post
    That is NEXT week, and it will be next week every week until it is THE week.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    That is NEXT week, and it will be next week every week until it is THE week.
    But what happens if THE week comes before the other week or even a week after THE week? I mean how can we be sure of THE week being on time as projected?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    But what happens if THE week comes before the other week or even a week after THE week? I mean how can we be sure of THE week being on time as projected?
    Chet himself will tell everyone that THE week has arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Chet himself will tell everyone that THE week has arrived.
    My confidence is returned in the word of Chet

Chet Holmgren headlines 2021 boys McDonald’s All American Game roster

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/chet-ho...203703998.html

On Monday I was paired in my golf group with a recently retired high school basketball coach from Minneapolis who coached against Jalen many times in his high school years. He knew he was gifted and special immediately. He did wonder about his choice of school though. He said it was not in one of the top tier level schools but a mid-level similar to Washington’s 3A.
    He thinks as good as he is he would be even further along had he played the tougher teams. This coach went to Baylor and yet says he’s followed Gonzaga for many years. He is pulling for the Zags.
    He says “Chet will be going to Gonzaga”!! I hope he’s right, he’s pretty connected.
    One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

I don't think Chet knows what he wants to do yet. "Insiders" can know only as much as the recruit, and if the recruit hasn't decided, then insiders don't know either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!