Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast
Results 451 to 475 of 480

Thread: 2021 - Chet Holmgren

  1. #451
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,429

    Default

    Sorry to go off track and ask a Chet question, but how long do we hold a spot for him before we have to start considering other prospects who are ready to commit? Do we wait until August if need be?

  2. #452
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,709

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Sorry to go off track and ask a Chet question, but how long do we hold a spot for him before we have to start considering other prospects who are ready to commit? Do we wait until August if need be?
    You wait until he declares.

  3. #453
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,089

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Sorry to go off track and ask a Chet question, but how long do we hold a spot for him before we have to start considering other prospects who are ready to commit? Do we wait until August if need be?
    I think the only 2021 recruits we have offers to are Holmgren and Sallis, besides Perry. If they choose elsewhere most 2021 recruits have already committed to other schools. Should have a good nucleaus coming back anyway and there will be a ton of transfers next season that can fill holes if need be. They'll gladly wait as long as it takes for Chet. Staff could already have an answer now too, they knew way before us what Suggs was going to do.

  4. #454

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    This is a fun what if scenario to wonder about. Highly unlikely given Suggs’ apparent serious consideration of going G League route but what if Suggs decides to stay and ball out w Holmgren for a year. As a dual sport athlete all through HS, it would presumably be only the 2nd year of his entire life devoted to basketball skills development only. As good as Suggs is now, I think he would improve dramatically in one more year under tutelage of Zags staff.
    I’ll date Eva mendes before jalen plays year two in Spokane

  5. #455
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    I’ll date Eva mendes before jalen plays year two in Spokane
    You'll be sure to let us know how it goes, right?
    At least someone, somewhere, is laughing.

  6. #456
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    This is a fun what if scenario to wonder about. Highly unlikely given Suggs’ apparent serious consideration of going G League route but what if Suggs decides to stay and ball out w Holmgren for a year. As a dual sport athlete all through HS, it would presumably be only the 2nd year of his entire life devoted to basketball skills development only. As good as Suggs is now, I think he would improve dramatically in one more year under tutelage of Zags staff.
    You do realise that players also develop in the nba? No classes to attend, just pure focus on basketball.
    And if he gets injured, he is still set for life. No point of risking career ending injury, playing for free.

    There is no way in hell, Jalen stays for another year.
    Last edited by Irish_eliZAG; 02-17-2021 at 05:51 AM.
    Probably the only Gonzaga fan in Ireland!

  7. #457
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hilton Head (Bluffton), SC
    Posts
    5,052

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Kinda like Jalen....he's having the time of his life with us. Of course he can go NBA any time he wants. Life's funny though...........you ( at least I do) look back and enjoy the things I had when all my friends were around and we could do things together . Like Play ball. Even in Med school I played fast pitch and basketball intramural. Then I went home or to the lab and worked my rear off . When It all became serious like as an adult. I made a lot more money but the joy of my guys being around me was gone. I guess It's something for these Uber talented basketball player should think about. We get Chet, maybe, just maybe, we keep Jalen for another year. Pipe dream I know butChet and Drew underneath and our guards? Might be the best team to play college ball.... Now that'd be fun.
    Doc,

    Kelly said the same thing...wished he would have stayed one more year...can't go back once you've left...you have the rest of your life to be an adult like you said...

    Silly thought but if for some reason we don't win the Natty, then MAYBE, just MAYBE Jalen might play one more year with Chet...I am not suggesting we try to lose but as Coach Few said Sunday, you really have to be lucky to win it all...seems like we may have 10 or 12 games remaining in this season...

    Oh, FAST PITCH!!! I played the "hot-box" back in those days and still have all my teeth!

  8. #458
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    PNWest
    Posts
    3,487

    Default

    As with Suggs, coach and staff already know Chet's decision, it's the rest of us who are out of the loop.

    Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

  9. #459
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    I think the only 2021 recruits we have offers to are Holmgren and Sallis, besides Perry. If they choose elsewhere most 2021 recruits have already committed to other schools. Should have a good nucleaus coming back anyway and there will be a ton of transfers next season that can fill holes if need be. They'll gladly wait as long as it takes for Chet. Staff could already have an answer now too, they knew way before us what Suggs was going to do.
    What abut Fenbo Zeng? There was talk about him reclassifying up a year. And where does Ben Gregg fit as a mid season addition. Both could possibly be 2021 class in principle?

  10. #460
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,089

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A to Zags View Post
    What abut Fenbo Zeng? There was talk about him reclassifying up a year. And where does Ben Gregg fit as a mid season addition. Both could possibly be 2021 class in principle?
    Ben Gregg I think goes to 2020, he graduated in fall 2020 and joined the team. Fanbo Zeng as of now is 2022, but could reclassify. Either way nobody is going to say "Chet you're taking too long, we are moving on to someone else."

  11. #461
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    Ben Gregg I think goes to 2020, he graduated in fall 2020 and joined the team. Fanbo Zeng as of now is 2022, but could reclassify. Either way nobody is going to say "Chet you're taking too long, we are moving on to someone else."
    This season doesn't count against Gregg's eligibility. He still has 4 years to play, or 5 with a rs year

  12. #462
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    3,302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_eliZAG View Post
    You do realise that players also develop in the nba? No classes to attend, just pure focus on basketball.
    And if he gets injured, he is still set for life. No point of risking career ending injury, playing for free.

    There is no way in hell, Jalen stays for another year.
    Yes, I am indeed aware player development occurs in the NBA and most prudent choice for Suggs is to go pro, of course. Note first sentence of my comment: “This is a fun what if scenario to wonder about.” Relax, daydream, engage in frivolous what if imaginings once in a while.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

  13. #463
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,089

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    This season doesn't count against Gregg's eligibility. He still has 4 years to play, or 5 with a rs year
    Yes, Ballo also could have 4 years left to play. Strawther and Harris too, none of them are in the 2021 class. Gregg graduated in 2020 and joined the team in 2020. If you look at 247 they have him part of our 2020 class now, which I think moved us up to #6 class.

  14. #464
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,876

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Doc,

    Kelly said the same thing...wished he would have stayed one more year...can't go back once you've left...you have the rest of your life to be an adult like you said...

    Silly thought but if for some reason we don't win the Natty, then MAYBE, just MAYBE Jalen might play one more year with Chet...I am not suggesting we try to lose but as Coach Few said Sunday, you really have to be lucky to win it all...seems like we may have 10 or 12 games remaining in this season...

    Oh, FAST PITCH!!! I played the "hot-box" back in those days and still have all my teeth!
    And no broken nose?? It the hot corner for a reason. Reflexes are essential........to protect yourself in nothing else. Aluminum bats are killers!

  15. #465
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hilton Head (Bluffton), SC
    Posts
    5,052

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    And no broken nose?? It the hot corner for a reason. Reflexes are essential........to protect yourself in nothing else. Aluminum bats are killers!
    I had the best "ducking skills" in the Philippines...lol

  16. #466
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    344

    Default

    From Jim Meehan, The Spokesman-Review, Spokane, Wash.

    Gonzaga recruit Chet Holmgren finalist for Naismith prep player of the year.

    Feb. 18—Gonzaga recruit Chet Holmgren, the No. 1-ranked prospect in the 2021 class, is one of five finalists for the Naismith Trophy High School Player of the Year.

    https://www.yahoo.com/news/gonzaga-r...030100342.html

  17. #467
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    918

    Default

    Wasn't Chet supposed to announce this week? Guess not...
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

  18. #468
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    662

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyzag View Post
    Wasn't Chet supposed to announce this week? Guess not...
    No he wasn’t. No date yet.

  19. #469
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyzag View Post
    Wasn't Chet supposed to announce this week? Guess not...
    That is NEXT week, and it will be next week every week until it is THE week.
    At least someone, somewhere, is laughing.

  20. #470
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hilton Head (Bluffton), SC
    Posts
    5,052

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    That is NEXT week, and it will be next week every week until it is THE week.
    But what happens if THE week comes before the other week or even a week after THE week? I mean how can we be sure of THE week being on time as projected?

  21. #471
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    But what happens if THE week comes before the other week or even a week after THE week? I mean how can we be sure of THE week being on time as projected?
    Chet himself will tell everyone that THE week has arrived.
    At least someone, somewhere, is laughing.

  22. #472
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hilton Head (Bluffton), SC
    Posts
    5,052

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Chet himself will tell everyone that THE week has arrived.
    My confidence is returned in the word of Chet

  23. #473
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    344

    Default

    Chet Holmgren headlines 2021 boys McDonald’s All American Game roster

    https://www.yahoo.com/sports/chet-ho...203703998.html

  24. #474
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Spokane / Goodyear, AZ
    Posts
    2,045

    Default

    On Monday I was paired in my golf group with a recently retired high school basketball coach from Minneapolis who coached against Jalen many times in his high school years. He knew he was gifted and special immediately. He did wonder about his choice of school though. He said it was not in one of the top tier level schools but a mid-level similar to Washington’s 3A.
    He thinks as good as he is he would be even further along had he played the tougher teams. This coach went to Baylor and yet says he’s followed Gonzaga for many years. He is pulling for the Zags.
    He says “Chet will be going to Gonzaga”!! I hope he’s right, he’s pretty connected.
    One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

  25. #475
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    810

    Default

    I don't think Chet knows what he wants to do yet. "Insiders" can know only as much as the recruit, and if the recruit hasn't decided, then insiders don't know either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •