Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 - Chet Holmgren

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    I don't think Chet knows what he wants to do yet. "Insiders" can know only as much as the recruit, and if the recruit hasn't decided, then insiders don't know either.
    I'd wager that Chet knows where he's going and so do the coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
    I'd wager that Chet knows where he's going and so do the coaches.
    Just like with Suggs

Slightly worried about Michigan.
    They’re rolling right now.
    Juwon Howard is recruiting well too.

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    'C'mon man'

Michigan isn't eating our lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    Closer to home and they have the momentum. I am not 100% at ease with them lingering.

Nice stat line for Chet Holmgren last night in a big win over a good Waseca, MN team 29p/20r/8a/6b. Waseca has an D1 big with multiple Big Ten offers in Andrew Morgan that committed to NDSU because of their Agriculture program. Really hope Chet becomes a Zag!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    On Monday I was paired in my golf group with a recently retired high school basketball coach from Minneapolis who coached against Jalen many times in his high school years. He knew he was gifted and special immediately. He did wonder about his choice of school though. He said it was not in one of the top tier level schools but a mid-level similar to Washington’s 3A.
    He thinks as good as he is he would be even further along had he played the tougher teams. This coach went to Baylor and yet says he’s followed Gonzaga for many years. He is pulling for the Zags.
    He says “Chet will be going to Gonzaga”!! I hope he’s right, he’s pretty connected.
    My apology for not including the word High in my sentence " He did wonder about his choice of school though." Upon review I realized omission of that word might lead one to think it was reference to Gonzaga. It was not.
    One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

Quote Originally Posted by GuZag2012 View Post
    Nice stat line for Chet Holmgren last night in a big win over a good Waseca, MN team 29p/20r/8a/6b. Waseca has an D1 big with multiple Big Ten offers in Andrew Morgan that committed to NDSU because of their Agriculture program. Really hope Chet becomes a Zag!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    highlight vid
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su0SWbR6ghA

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    Ouch, that's choppy. Feel like I'm trying to watch a Transformers movie.

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Ouch, that's choppy. Feel like I'm trying to watch a Transformers movie.
    Michael Bay... one of the least talented directors out there. When all else fails... blow things up.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Seems to be a lot of crickets since the initial buzz surrounding an announcement...has anyone seen anything indicating why the change and/or a new date?

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Seems to be a lot of crickets since the initial buzz surrounding an announcement...has anyone seen anything indicating why the change and/or a new date?
    according to the family, there never was a set announcement date...it was an unfounded rumor started on twitter

He has to come to GU, right?

Is there any better one and done place right now with more guaranteed exposure/ncaa tourney action? With Duke, Kentucky, MSU, all those tanking, (don't know if they're even recruiting but it's a lesson), doesn't he have to come here?

Plus Suggs talking?

Bc Suggs has absolutely fallen for the whole thing, he's in as much as a four year right now, loves the system, family, all that. It's why we're No. 1, Suggs bought in fully.

He has to come here, correct?

I know, I know.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

- dz, i suspect he will come to gu
    - as you mention there is the suggs connection and his positive embrace of 'the program' and university
    - also chet has said he wants to play within a system that can best use his skill set, i'm not an x and o's guy, but even i can envision how he would shine playing in a 'few' offensive scheme
    - plus the biggest point in my book is, caldwellzag reports he has been told he is coming, think he puts the likelihood at 85-90%

- that said, the one team that made chet's short list that you did not mention is michigan. michigan is pretty close to minnesota, for family to watch him play.
    - heaven forbid but what it michigan won the national title? coach howard can says come on down chet, lets make it 2 in a row. (which is the exact same line i'm hoping coach few will make in 4 weeks)

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    - dz, i suspect he will come to gu
    - as you mention there is the suggs connection and his positive embrace of 'the program' and university
    - also chet has said he wants to play within a system that can best use his skill set, i'm not an x and o's guy, but even i can envision how he would shine playing in a 'few' offensive scheme
    - plus the biggest point in my book is, caldwellzag reports he has been told he is coming, think he puts the likelihood at 85-90%

- that said, the one team that made chet's short list that you did not mention is michigan. michigan is pretty close to minnesota, for family to watch him play.
    - heaven forbid but what it michigan won the national title? coach howard can says come on down chet, lets make it 2 in a row. (which is the exact same line i'm hoping coach few will make in 4 weeks)
    I have a tremendous amount of respect for Juan Howard on a million levels. What a man.

And so I can understand a decision to go to Michigan, even the academics are first tier.

I respect Few as much or more than Howard and obviously proud of our program. I see what you're saying, for sure.

But if it really is down to us and Michigan, he cannot go wrong in my book. He can just go "more right" by coming here.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Chet Holmgren headlines Naismith boys’ All-America teams.

The Atlanta Tipoff Club announced its high school boys’ All-America teams Tuesday, with top 2021 recruit Chet Holmgren and top 2022 recruit Emoni Bates headlining the group of players as first-team selections.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/emoni-b...170131034.html

First Team

F Paolo Banchero — O’Dea High School (Wash.)

F Emoni Bates — Ypsi Prep Academy (Mich.)

G Jaden Hardy — Coronado High School (Nev.)

C Chet Holmgren — Minnehaha Academy (Minn.)

F Jabari Smith — Sandy Creek High School (Ga.)

Gonzaga recruit Chet Holmgren named Naismith prep player of the year

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...aismith-playe/

Minnehaha Academy Boys Basketball
    @Minnehaha_BBall
    ·
    11h
    Good win tonight over Mpls North. The 2021 Naismith High School Player of the Year
    @ChetHolmgren
    lead the way w/ 21pts 17reb 10blk 8ast & 0 turnovers

Must be getting close to announcement time? Chet's last listed game on the Minnehaha schedule is tomorrow...

Time to Zag up! Would be great news headed into the Dance. I have the feeling coach and staff already know the decisions of both Chet and Hunter Sallis.

What a great time to be a Zags fan, the ride is absolutely amazing...

Just my opinion...

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

We're very loaded this year at the guard spots, not sure who might stick around. I do know adding some superb big men might get some kids to stay. I'm thinking of Joel, Cook and Nembhard. I do think Drew needs another year although his footwork, scoring and how he plays the game are very good right now. Adding Chet would kind of Seal the deal as No 1 to begin the season. Who knows the players that might be joining.

If Ayayi & Suggs leave, I have to figure we'll be a top destination for any transfer guards available. What guard wouldn't want to play for Few, with the bigs we'll have?

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    We're very loaded this year at the guard spots, not sure who might stick around. I do know adding some superb big men might get some kids to stay. I'm thinking of Joel, Cook and Nembhard. I do think Drew needs another year although his footwork, scoring and how he plays the game are very good right now. Adding Chet would kind of Seal the deal as No 1 to begin the season. Who knows the players that might be joining.

Hey Doc,

Hope all is well there!!!

If those three guards stay and Holmgren & Sallis decided to make Spokane home for a year, then I feel GU will be ranked #1...AND if Timme stays for most of the summer and works on 3pt shooting, then this team will just be incredible!!! I can't imagine the opposition trying to game-plan for us!!! IMO

As an aside Bogo, drew has to be one of the funnest players to watch in a very long time. Things here are springlike finally. You and your wonderful wife should make it out here again.

Admittedly I haven't watched a ton of video on Chet, but he seems to be very comfortable on the perimeter on offense. Does anyone think that he has the defensive capability to play on the perimeter given the bevy of bigs we'll have next year? At least enough to play a zone? Would another big like perhaps Watson play perimeter defense? Who plays at the 3 if he comes?

Quote Originally Posted by zagamatic View Post
    Admittedly I haven't watched a ton of video on Chet, but he seems to be very comfortable on the perimeter on offense. Does anyone think that he has the defensive capability to play on the perimeter given the bevy of bigs we'll have next year? At least enough to play a zone? Would another big like perhaps Watson play perimeter defense? Who plays at the 3 if he comes?
    He may be a 3/4 on offense but on defense he’s a 4/5. His rim protection is obscene