Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 2021 - Chet Holmgren

The Grassroots Sizzle coach is an idiot. First of all, this decision comes down to Chet and his family. Not the Grassroots coach's ego. Secondly, playing in a bunch of G-League games whose game results do not matter to anyone and whose coaches have a fraction of the ability to develop big men that Few and his staff do is equally as dumb. Thirdly, he's foolishly worried that his "boy" might be exposed by 22,000 people screaming at Chet at the Marriott Center free throw line in a game which features BYU players who want to tell their future grandkids how they once beat Gonzaga on ESPN at 8pm Pacific time in the year 2022.

I am really worried that dudes like Sandifer are almost going to become like agents for these top prospects. Not doing what is in the best interest of the player, but what it is in the best interest of their massive ego. Fortunately, it seems as if the Holmgren family have their heads on straight

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...esota-takeover

a minnesota sports writer hoping Chet chooses locally

""He just needs to go pro," said Sandifer, who has coached Holmgren since he was a third-grader. "He's doing the school [he chooses] a favor by even going. He's gonna be a lottery pick. He's gonna be top-three no matter what. There is no benefit in Chet going to college right now."

Holmgren said it's too soon to make that call.

"It's too early to really rule anything out," he said. "It's also really early to make a decision."

Chet's father, Dave Holmgren, said he is analyzing every potential option, but college remains his top choice.

"I personally don't know enough right now," Dave said. "We're planning on going to school. That's our plan. It has to be the right fit. He doesn't want an 'NBA combine' school."

We are in a good place, he will be a "one and done" but it's likely he will be our "one and done".

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    The Grassroots Sizzle coach is an idiot.

I am really worried that dudes like Sandifer are almost going to become like agents for these top prospects. Not doing what is in the best interest of the player, but what it is in the best interest of their massive ego. Fortunately, it seems as if the Holmgren family have their heads on straight
    That cow has long been in the pasture

Moo

Moo
    Do tell?

Jeff Goodman interviewing Paolo and Chet today at 1:30pm Pacific.

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/sta...86191387676672

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Do tell?
    He's a cow in the pasture.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Steven Karr
    @SKarrG0
    ·
    8h
    Paolo says Coach K was the most active head coach in his recruitment and that made a difference.

Chet: "My guy Jalen is out (at Gonzaga) right now. He's in my ear all the time saying good things."

Paolo and Chet both raved about playing with Kaden Perry

Interview
    https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/sta...91895368626177

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...esota-takeover

a minnesota sports writer hoping Chet chooses locally

""He just needs to go pro," said Sandifer, who has coached Holmgren since he was a third-grader. "He's doing the school [he chooses] a favor by even going. He's gonna be a lottery pick. He's gonna be top-three no matter what. There is no benefit in Chet going to college right now."

Holmgren said it's too soon to make that call.

"It's too early to really rule anything out," he said. "It's also really early to make a decision."

Chet's father, Dave Holmgren, said he is analyzing every potential option, but college remains his top choice.

"I personally don't know enough right now," Dave said. "We're planning on going to school. That's our plan. It has to be the right fit. He doesn't want an 'NBA combine' school."
    Dave sounds like a good dad.
    Parlez-vous français?

ESPN this AM

PF Chet Holmgren
    7-0, 183 pounds
    Minnehaha Academy (Minnesota)

In the mix: Georgetown, Gonzaga, Memphis, Michigan, Minnesota, North Carolina, Ohio State

Holmgren's recruitment has actually been fairly quiet for a No. 1 prospect, although that could be said for most prospects in the 2021 class. He has been on official visits to Ohio State and Gonzaga, and has taken unofficial trips to Minnesota, Maryland and Georgetown. His AAU coach told ESPN's Myron Medcalf over the summer that he should turn pro. If Holmgren goes to college, though, most of the buzz centers on Gonzaga. He's close friends and a former teammate of elite 2020 guard Jalen Suggs, who will suit up for Gonzaga this season. If things go well for Suggs in Spokane, Holmgren could be the next elite player to go from Minnesota to Mark Few's program.

Prediction: Gonzaga
    Confidence level: 65%

Definitely feels like we are the front-runner here.

Even though GU will lose some good players after this season, they'll have a redshirt PG who was ranked in the low 20's and who GU really wanted out of HS. Redshirt years work wonders for Gonzaga players. They also have some other good talent returning in 2021/22, and Perry is regarded by some as the most underrated prep player in this class, and Gregg is another fine talent. It would be nice for Fewie to land Hunter Sallis or Chet Holmgren. That might lead to a commitment from the other player. The result could be a team that could be as gifted as this year's team.

It's gonna be tough to land Sallis......Kentucky, Kansas, Michigan, UNC, Oregon, Louisville and UCLA are all in the mix. Kansas strikes me as particularly dangerous.

Even though GU will lose some good players after this season, they'll have a redshirt PG who was ranked in the low 20's and who GU really wanted out of HS. Redshirt years work wonders for Gonzaga players. They also have some other good talent returning in 2021/22, and Perry is regarded by some as the most underrated prep player in this class, and Gregg is another fine talent. It would be nice for Fewie to land Hunter Sallis or Chet Holmgren. That might lead to a commitment from the other player. The result could be a team that could be as gifted as this year's team.

It's gonna be tough to land Sallis......Kentucky, Kansas, Michigan, UNC, Oregon, Louisville and UCLA are all in the mix. Kansas strikes me as particularly dangerous.
    CDC - What are the chances we land 2 of the following 3 from Sallis, Holmgren, and Houstan on top of having Nembhard, Perry, and Gregg for 2021? Thank you.

I'm not CDC and have no inside sources, but if our odds on Holmgren are at something like 65% and sallis is more like 20%, then you're looking at an overall chance of 13%, which isn't great, though that improves if it's either Houston or Sallis.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

I like GU's chances with Holmgren a LOT, despite the self interested AAU coach. My hunch is that there is something about Sallis and Kansas. Not good with percentages.

I think we are sitting good with Houstan and Holmgren although I think Chet may go straight to the NBA D-League. Doesn't seem like Sallis is very likely at this point from things I've read.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    I think we are sitting good with Houstan and Holmgren although I think Chet may go straight to the NBA D-League. Doesn't seem like Sallis is very likely at this point from things I've read.
    I dont feel good about Houstan, we didnt make his final 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    Athletic’s Brian Bennett has similar take.

https://theathletic.com/2151112/2020...shared_article

Holmgren’s father told me that Chet will only go to a school that will play him on the perimeter and knows how to develop modern big men. That’s another point in Gonzaga’s favor, as Few and his staff have excelled in that area. I also think Holmgren would be an obvious candidate for the G-League developmental team.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Holmgren playing on ESPN2 this Sunday in the GEICO Top Flight Invitational. Time will be determined by where Team Sizzle sits in the standings at that point. Times are PST.

10am Seventh place game ESPN2
    12pm Fifth place game ESPN2
    2pm Third place game ESPN2
    4pm Championship game ESPN2

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...-flight-invite

PF Chet Holmgren
    7-foot-1, 195 pounds
    Team Sizzle (Minneapolis)
    High school: Minnehaha Academy (Minnesota)
    2021 ESPN 100 ranking: 1
    Uncommitted

The first thing you will notice about this skilled big man is his muscle tone. Over the past six months, Holmgren grew from 7 feet, 183 pounds, with help from weight training and nutrition. That is great news for Holmgren and bad news for opponents. With the added muscle, Holmgren can now finish through contact at a higher rate, as well as play with balance inside the paint with a lower stance.

Holmgren was already a world-class shot-blocker thanks to his size, timing and willingness to protect the rim. His offensive package is advanced and continues to evolve. He is a mismatch both inside and out, and when he attracts a double-team inside, that's when his passing acumen takes over. Gifted with a 7-1 frame and a dependable 3-point shot, the potential for a triple-double makes him a truly unique prospect.

Holmgren playing on ESPN2 this Sunday in the GEICO Top Flight Invitational. Time will be determined by where Team Sizzle sits in the standings at that point. Times are PST.

PF Chet Holmgren
    7-foot-1, 195 pounds
    Uncommitted

The first thing you will notice about this skilled big man is his muscle tone. Over the past six months, Holmgren grew from 7 feet, 183 pounds, with help from weight training and nutrition. That is great news for Holmgren and bad news for opponents. With the added muscle, Holmgren can now finish through contact at a higher rate, as well as play with balance inside the paint with a lower stance.

Holmgren was already a world-class shot-blocker thanks to his size, timing and willingness to protect the rim. His offensive package is advanced and continues to evolve. He is a mismatch both inside and out, and when he attracts a double-team inside, that's when his passing acumen takes over. Gifted with a 7-1 frame and a dependable 3-point shot, the potential for a triple-double makes him a truly unique prospect.

Do we yet know at what time he will be playing?

5th place game, 2pm, ESPN2, per the Who's Next Twitter feed.

PF Chet Holmgren
    7-foot-1, 195 pounds
    Uncommitted

5th place game, 2pm, ESPN2, per the Who's Next Twitter feed.
    2 or 12 PST? The first response says 12, your more recent says 2.
    It's not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    2 or 12 PST? The first response says 12, your more recent says 2.
    Yes, apparently the schedule has been revised, and he is playing at 2pm PST.

https://twitter.com/WhosNextHS/statu...412416/photo/1