Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: 2021 - Chet Holmgren

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    I didn't answer the question as I know it is not in the plans moving forward so why play the what if game. No his offer is for 2021 and that's where the staff sees him fit. And my takes come not from what I saw, but from information and conversations I have with those that know a lot more than we do.
    It feels like Chet is the next shoe to drop in Gonzaga recruiting. The bond he has with Suggs sure seems big.

I didn't answer the question as I know it is not in the plans moving forward so why play the what if game. No his offer is for 2021 and that's where the staff sees him fit. And my takes come not from what I saw, but from information and conversations I have with those that know a lot more than we do.
    Fair enough. I think its a interesting hypothetical because as you stated " I am going to say point blank it is not all Chet's decision, Gonzaga has a large say in it." With most recruits I would be inclined to agree but with Chet if he really got it in his head he wanted to reclassify, I doubt Gonzaga would have much choice in the matter unless they wanted to lose him. Additionally, with the space available for next year I'm sure the staff wouldn't mind having him a year early.

Tall and extremely lanky ectomorph body types never truly gain/put on a ton of weight or muscle. They can get stronger, add joint muscle, yet their long bones are so disproportionate they never truly bulk up.

Chet is an intriguing prospect. We know how skilled he is, esp given his size. An elite level shot blocker/alterer, great length, above average handles, smart player.

He is 6'11"-7'0", 175lbs.

His older profiles lists him as 190lbs, which isnt up to date nor accurate.

He makes Austin Daye and Manut Bol look swol.

Not necessarily a bad thing, just intriguing is all.

A D1 Center cant be 175lbs. Even Tillie is on the lighter/skinny side.

I wonder if you have Chet as a uber tall, lengthy, rangy small forward. Not asked to "bang", can dribble, solid shooter, good feel, westside help D to block shots, use length to guard smaller forwards/guards, etc.

I think you almost have to. Yes, you can occasionally float your center to the perimeter like we do with Tillie and even Wiltjer, yet they still must defend, bang, battle for boards on occasion.

Chet will add 10, maybe 15lbs in college, just his unique body type.

I will be curious his position at next level and beyond...

I remember Malik Pope was a tall drink of water. He had some injury issues along to way. To my knowledge Chet Holmgren has been injury free. I hope he picks GU for 2021.

We are all entitled to our opinion, when reading your post you stated the decision is Chet's and I am going to say point blank it is not all Chet's decision, Gonzaga has a large say in it. Chet got moved off his spot all night by Dainja, he stood on the perimeter most the night. Not a negative, but he must fill out to get meaningful minutes a year early at a top ranked D1 school. Look at our bigs who play everyone that has played as a freshman is 30-40 lbs larger than Chet. He weighs 180!!! Chet is a talent, but if he reclassifies it will be due to a commitment and an honest conversation with Tommy and Mark about if we need/want him to reclassify. Paolo would make more sense to reclassify as he has the body, but he has stated he does not plan on it.
    This⬆️
    Although I was rooting for his TD he barely missed on pts he clearly does not have the physicality yet. Most of his blocks were in help situations. Paolo already looks like Watson whereas I can’t imagine Holmgren banging with Ballo, Timme, and Zakharov. Usually the points are the easiest part of a TD but Chet had an easier time with RB and blocks. To me that is bc as Caldwell mentioned he was frequently moved off of his spots.

We have plenty of bangers in Ballo, TImme, and BIg Z. I see him as more of a 4, like KG or Durant. Can't get moved off his spot if his spot starts out at the 3 pt line. His true value won't be on O at 1st, it will be his helpside D which we are severely lacking right now. Hopefully Ballo will be the answer for next year, but if not, and we lose Petro, we have a glaring weakness in the middle of our D.

It seems pretty clear to me that he's not a center, and not even a traditional power forward. A stretch-4 at most. Tons of talent, but we wouldn't want to pigeonhole him into something that he isn't.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

I recall there was mention that he didnt view himself as a center and wanted to consider programs that would provide an opportunity to showcase his talents outside the key.

Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    It seems pretty clear to me that he's not a center, and not even a traditional power forward. A stretch-4 at most. Tons of talent, but we wouldn't want to pigeonhole him into something that he isn't.
    He looks like Kristaps Porzingas (body wise) when he was drafted by the NBA. He will grow into his body over time but the skill set is there to be great which will only continue to develop. As talented as Chet is, he could possibly be a 2 year guy in college from a physical development point of view.

Makes first team

MaxPreps 2019-20 Boys Basketball Junior All-American Team

Chet Holmgren, Minnehaha Academy (Minneapolis)
    7-0 | Junior | Center | Uncommitted
    The No. 2 prospect in the junior class had a big-time year headlined by 9 points, 10 rebounds and 12 blocks in a signature win over Sierra Canyon.

https://www.maxpreps.com/news/81pLsf...rican-team.htm

Hey Chet, come on down with your buddy Suggs and become a Zag this coming year, and be a member of something special.

Holmgren will be something special no matter who he is playing with. In the right system with the right training, that guy is going to (continue to) be something like nobody has ever seen before.

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    Holmgren will be something special no matter who he is playing with. In the right system with the right training, that guy is going to (continue to) be something like nobody has ever seen before.
    If you're Holmgren, the reclass actually makes a lot of sense. Come in and give it a go, and if you're not ready, you redshirt and have a full year of training and eating (Olynyk Clinic) in top tier D1 facilities and then you're ready to roll in what would have been your freshman year anyway.

That being said - I'm young enough to know you gotta be a kid and senior year of HS is a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzagit View Post
    If you're Holmgren, the reclass actually makes a lot of sense. Come in and give it a go, and if you're not ready, you redshirt and have a full year of training and eating (Olynyk Clinic) in top tier D1 facilities and then you're ready to roll in what would have been your freshman year anyway.

That being said - I'm young enough to know you gotta be a kid and senior year of HS is a lot of fun.
    Freshman year of college is a hell of alot more fun tho

Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    Freshman year of college is a hell of alot more fun tho
    True...

My freshman year sucked. Sophomore year was much better, after I had gotten the hang of things.

I would like to know legitimately how good of a position we are in with Chet, his recruiting seems to be a bit quiet.
    America's Team!

Top 3 if he completes his senior year. #1 if he reclassifies and plays with Suggs

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    Top 3 if he completes his senior year. #1 if he reclassifies and plays with Suggs
    I would LOVE to see him here and see how he and the staff can integrate his style into the GU game and I think the sooner we can get a commitment the better because if he keeps doing what he's doing, its more time for the even bigger programs to sway him, BUT I cant imagine him reclassifying away from his senior year of high school. High school life is not all basketball, its friends and classes and other hobbies too. Plus, he does need another year of burgers and muscle growth to be able to play at this level without getting hurt or shut out by guys just as tall and some nearly as skilled, but with 100 pounds on him. He might be able to blow by a guard or wing but when the help side big comes over and blocks/body checks him into the reporters, there is real risk to his body and confidence there.

I would LOVE to see him here and see how he and the staff can integrate his style into the GU game and I think the sooner we can get a commitment the better because if he keeps doing what he's doing, its more time for the even bigger programs to sway him, BUT I cant imagine him reclassifying away from his senior year of high school. High school life is not all basketball, its friends and classes and other hobbies too. Plus, he does need another year of burgers and muscle growth to be able to play at this level without getting hurt or shut out by guys just as tall and some nearly as skilled, but with 100 pounds on him. He might be able to blow by a guard or wing but when the help side big comes over and blocks/body checks him into the reporters, there is real risk to his body and confidence there.
    I view him exactly as Kevin Durant. He's so skilled at that size, that he's just a mismatch all the time. I think he'll end up being more of a 2-3 guard in the right system. He might be a little skinnier than KD, but about the same skill level. KD could barely bench press the bar at the NBA draft combine.

He won't put another 100 pounds on unless he pulls a Shawn Kemp after he retires. I say bring him on now. Let him play the 3 or 4 spot. Probably not quick enough for the 3, but we have plenty of big bodies covering the weak side next season.

He was quick enough to beat Steph Curry on the cross over move, so I think he is quick enough to handle the 3 on the college level.

Well if he does commit the fact that he is so unique means he would be very versatile and virtually could have a role in any lineup.
    America's Team!

I don't want to start a new thread, but why is it that so many posters here are against Zags leaving early, wanting them to get the additional college coaching and enjoy the college experience, but are wanting High Schoolers to forego the HS coaching and HS experience by reclassifying?
    I agree that Few and staff will provide better coaching than their HS coach, but they are still kids. Let them be kids!

Quote Originally Posted by HenneZag View Post
    Well if he does commit the fact that he is so unique means he would be very versatile and virtually could have a role in any lineup.
    I don't want him in any lineup, I want him in a Zag lineup.