Clear All
  • Zagdawg
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Nike Elite 100: Top 10 class of 2021 Performers

Name: Chet Holmgren

Position: Center

247Sports Composite Ranking: No. 13

Recruiting: Minnesota, Purdue, Texas, Baylor, Gonzaga, Ohio State, and others

He is no doubt very skinny, but like he did all spring long, Holmgren showed how dominant he can be. Holmgren is an elite shot blocker, runs the floor very well, and then also can step out and hit threes. Beyond that, on offense he is not afraid to mix it up in the paint, and he finished fairly well around the rim. He will always have some physical challenges, but Holmgren competes on the glass, and shows a unique ability to rebound out of his area, especially on the offensive end.

Comment

• basketballzag
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zagdawg View Post
      Nike Elite 100: Top 10 class of 2021 Performers

Name: Chet Holmgren

Position: Center

247Sports Composite Ranking: No. 13

Recruiting: Minnesota, Purdue, Texas, Baylor, Gonzaga, Ohio State, and others

He is no doubt very skinny, but like he did all spring long, Holmgren showed how dominant he can be. Holmgren is an elite shot blocker, runs the floor very well, and then also can step out and hit threes. Beyond that, on offense he is not afraid to mix it up in the paint, and he finished fairly well around the rim. He will always have some physical challenges, but Holmgren competes on the glass, and shows a unique ability to rebound out of his area, especially on the offensive end.

https://247sports.com/college/basket...5/#133257845_3
      Holmgrem has already said he is still unsure of what schools he will visit officially but one school that he does know that he will visit is Gonzaga.

Comment

• Zagdawg
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Would love to have him come visit with Suggs, Dom and Julian.

Comment

• soccerdud
          Zag for Life
          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Zagdawg View Post
          Would love to have him come visit with Suggs, Dom and Julian.
          would be awesome, but i don't believe that holmgren can come on an official visit until 2nd semester next year. i imagine the trio's visit will be before then.

Comment

• northsidezagfan
            Zag for Life
            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by soccerdud View Post
            would be awesome, but i don't believe that holmgren can come on an official visit until 2nd semester next year. i imagine the trio's visit will be before then.
            No reason he can’t unofficially visit while they are here right?

Comment

• soccerdud
              Zag for Life
              • Jul 2009

Originally posted by northsidezagfan View Post
              No reason he can’t unofficially visit while they are here right?
              no rule against it, that i know of. but i don't believe he's allowed to have any contact with the coaching staff or players while on an unofficial (along with having to pay for it all himself), so it's not like they'd all get to tour the facilities together or hang out much.

sure, they can make it happen if they really want to-- he can be in spokane when they are... but the NCAA rules around the whole thing make it really unlikely and actually make most of the cool (and adventageous) recruiting moments that you're picturing illegal. it's stupid.

i'm just glad things look so good with suggs, and i'm cautiously optimistic on holmgren.

ETA: correction-- apparently he can arrange the unofficial with the athletic department and meet with coaches as long as the communication happens after august 1st of the junior year. i didn't realize that exception existed, so i was just wrong. the combined unofficial looks like a real possibility-- if holmgren wants it enough to spend own money. but if that's the case, don't expect to hear anything about it until after august 1st, just to be safe from NCAA issues.

Comment

• GuZag2012
                Kennel Club Material
                • Jul 2012

In the last 247 updates they have Chet all the way up to #6 in the composite rankings and #4 in the 247 rankings. Would be a great get for the Zags!

The 247Sports rankings are determined by our recruiting analysts after countless hours of personal observations, film evaluation and input from our network of scouts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• bdmiller7
                  Zag for Life
                  • Jun 2017

Originally posted by GuZag2012 View Post
                  In the last 247 updates they have Chet all the way up to #6 in the composite rankings and #4 in the 247 rankings. Would be a great get for the Zags!

The 247Sports rankings are determined by our recruiting analysts after countless hours of personal observations, film evaluation and input from our network of scouts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Yep 4 on 247, and 7 on both Rivals and ESPN. He is really shooting up the rankings.

Comment

• Goshzagit
                    Zag for Life
                    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by bdmiller7 View Post
                    Yep 4 on 247, and 7 on both Rivals and ESPN. He is really shooting up the rankings.
                    And GU pretty low on his list at the moment.

The kid wants to stay local. Upper midwest. Think MN, Purdue, Marquette, Iowa, et al.

Then again, he is only going into his Junior season, and still young, so a lot could change b/w now and then...

At least there is mutual interest, and wonder if Suggs chooses us, could help our case.

Comment

• cggonzaga
                      Zag for Life
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Goshzagit View Post

The kid wants to stay local. Upper midwest. Think MN, Purdue, Marquette, Iowa, et al.

Then again, he is only going into his Junior season, and still young, so a lot could change b/w now and then...

At least there is mutual interest, and wonder if Suggs chooses us, could help our case.
                      Hmm..not what I’ve heard.

Comment

• Hooray4Daye&Gray
                        Kennel Club Alum
                        • Oct 2008

He's stated specifically he knows he is going to visit Gonzaga.

He has multiple offers from all around the country and many of his visits already have been to places outside of the Midwest.

Based on his social media, he seems to be extremely open minded to going anywhere in the country based on the best fit for him and play for a coach that doesn't put him in the box of playing center because he is a 7 footer.

Elite Minnesota kids almost never stay in the upper Midwest. They've gone to places like Kansas and Duke. If we can join these powerhouse programs and start a pipeline with some elite Minnesota talent, we would be much better off for it. Underrated talent and overwhelmingly guys that play the right way. Sam Dower and Geno Crandall were hopefully just the beginning...

Comment

• Goshzagit
                          Zag for Life
                          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Hooray4Daye&Gray View Post
                          He's stated specifically he knows he is going to visit Gonzaga...
                          Are you sure you aren't possibly confusing Walker Kessler with Chet Holmgren? I've noticed a couple posts and posters discuss them interchangeably and mix them up before.

Walker stated specifically he knows he is going to visit Gonzaga, yet haven't heard Chet say those words.

I'd be elated and pleasantly surprised if he did though.

Comment

• soccerdud
                            Zag for Life
                            • Jul 2009

don't take the 247 interest list as a ranking or anything else-- it's generally not very accurate or complete (much less definitive), and is only coarsely ordered. for the majority of recruits, the list starts with a bunch of local schools because they tend to see people first, get involved in recruiting earlier, are more likely to receive unofficial visits or otherwise have a relationship through camps whatever, and tend to be focused in the local press writeups/blogs/forums.

heck, we've had people take official visits and commit in the past without ever even showing up on their interest list.

eta: i made an assumption about your source above-- my apologies if i was wrong, but if so please do let us know where you got that info.

Comment

• Hooray4Daye&Gray
                              Kennel Club Alum
                              • Oct 2008

Are you sure you aren't possibly confusing Walker Kessler with Chet Holmgren? I've noticed a couple posts and posters discuss them interchangeably and mix them up before.

Walker stated specifically he knows he is going to visit Gonzaga, yet haven't heard Chet say those words.

I'd be elated and pleasantly surprised if he did though.
                              Thanks for asking. He responded "Soon" to 2 separate Zag fans on twitter on June 6th when they asked if/when he would visit Gonzaga. If he wasn't planning to visit Gonzaga, my reasoning is that he simply wouldn't reply.

I tried for the last 30 minutes trying to get my screenshots to post but couldn't figure it out, haha.

Comment

• Goshzagit
                                Zag for Life
                                • Dec 2007

Originally posted by soccerdud View Post
                                don't take the 247 interest list as a ranking or anything else-- it's generally not very accurate or complete (much less definitive), and is only coarsely ordered. for the majority of recruits, the list starts with a bunch of local schools because they tend to see people first, get involved in recruiting earlier, are more likely to receive unofficial visits or otherwise have a relationship through camps whatever, and tend to be focused in the local press writeups/blogs/forums.

heck, we've had people take official visits and commit in the past without ever even showing up on their interest list.

eta: i made an assumption about your source above-- my apologies if i was wrong, but if so please do let us know where you got that info.
                                Based solely on 247.

As much chatter as I've heard regarding Suggs and GU, I haven't heard the same about Chet and GU. He gave us a shout out on Twitter for being offered, yet has done the same for others as well.

Mark Few has been to Minnesota numerous times to watch them both play, and Chet has listed us in numerous interviews, along with Kansas, and 6 or 7 others.

I've also never heard Chet say he would be visiting us. I hope to hear/read that soon.

He is a 2021 recruit, so much can change and/or develop b/w now and then

Comment

Working...
                                X