X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jsnider
    Kennel Club
    • Apr 2020

Am I the only one on this board that is not happy about the G League becoming a competitor to the NCAA for high level talent? I read where some people say it is not a problem but the Daishen Nix situation where he signed a LOI and then backed out of it to join the G League is very concerning to me. Perhaps i am the only one that doesn't like it but when it could have potentially involved Jalen Suggs, or Chet Holmgren in the future or anybody else - I don't care for it. Just sayin'.
    Love the Zags!!!

Comment

• zagssuperfan
      Kennel Club Material
      • Jun 2013

Originally posted by jsnider View Post
      Am I the only one on this board that is not happy about the G League becoming a competitor to the NCAA for high level talent? I read where some people say it is not a problem but the Daishen Nix situation where he signed a LOI and then backed out of it to join the G League is very concerning to me. Perhaps i am the only one that doesn't like it but when it could have potentially involved Jalen Suggs, or Chet Holmgren in the future or anybody else - I don't care for it. Just sayin'.
      It is ironic that this is happening during unprecedented times in our recruiting. That being said, I would like to think that the type of players we are after aren't going to be easily convinced to choose the money over college.

Comment

• willandi
        Zag for Life
        • Nov 2007

I don't care for it either, but my preference would be for the NBA to do away with the 'not straight out of HS' rule, and the NCAA to implement a rule like baseball, either go straight out of HS or have a 2 year commitment.
        I am more angry about Covid-19 and those that deny and spread the disease. I would like to see the next season play out in its entirety.
        Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• EEzag
          Kennel Club Alum
          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by willandi View Post
          I don't care for it either, but my preference would be for the NBA to do away with the 'not straight out of HS' rule, and the NCAA to implement a rule like baseball, either go straight out of HS or have a 2 year commitment.
          I am more angry about Covid-19 and those that deny and spread the disease. I would like to see the next season play out in its entirety.
          The G league is inevitable givin the NCAA unwillingness to revisit the concept of amateurism and how it applies to the high level college student athlete. You will always have players that overestimate their worth and ability or players who need to make money now. I like the idea you offer to be like baseball, and I see the G league being a way to get there.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by EEzag View Post
            The G league is inevitable givin the NCAA unwillingness to revisit the concept of amateurism and how it applies to the high level college student athlete. You will always have players that overestimate their worth and ability or players who need to make money now. I like the idea you offer to be like baseball, and I see the G league being a way to get there.
            Not so fast with the G League talk...just my opinion. This "concept" was born before owners and players having to react to the revenues lost from China, and no Covid. Trying to look into an opaque crystal ball, but I suspect the G League and the WNBA will be collateral damage when all is said and done.

I haven't followed Chet's development, and he's obviously a heck of a prospect. But, 7 feet and only 190 pounds? That cries out for a year with Travis Knight in Spokane.

Comment

• CDC84
              Super Moderator
              • Feb 2007

I don't care for it either, but my preference would be for the NBA to do away with the 'not straight out of HS' rule, and the NCAA to implement a rule like baseball, either go straight out of HS or have a 2 year commitment
              I hate the G League too. I would much prefer a solution like this. Why? People disagree with me, but I stand by my position.

1) The entire goal of the G league is to GET OUT OF IT. Meanwhile, you have basketball, the most cooperative sport that there is. 7 things often have to occur for LeBron to get a one second look at a jumper. Who wants to spend their time setting screens in the G league. It's not going to get you into the NBA.

2) I have been to several G League games. Small crowds and local area people who have zero emotional investment in their team because their players can be taken away from them at any time. There is no chance for fans to development a player/fan relationship.

3) Because players are being brought up and down, there is zero emotional impact when it comes to winning and losing basketball games. Winning a championships means nothing. Not when the team's center can be called up before a big game. Players playing in big games in front of large audiences in front of fans whose emotional investment in their players and teams is HUGE is the single most underrated developmental aspect in the game of basketball. When you lose a key game, you SHOULD feel miserable. Feeling miserable makes players want to be better players so they do not have to feel that way feel again. Losing sucks.

This is my most controversial take, but I will stand by it until the day I perish. I guarantee you that Mark Few, Bob McKillop, Tom Izzo, and Randy Bennett are better basketball coaches than anyone who coaches in the G League. I don't care what anyone says. Why? Most of their college players are not pros, and their ability to be teachers of the game is so much more refined and developed due to it. They MUST develop players or they lose their job. Most G League coaches are former NBA staffers who used to only care about preparing for the next game. They have to change their orientation more towards teaching the game than preparing for games. They lack experience. The point of the G league should be to develop players, and that includes keeping teams intact through an entire season so that winning games MATTERS. I have known a couple of NBA players, when asking an assistant for help on their jumper, were told: "Hire someone, this isn't remedial school. I have game tape to look at it." Both men had million+ contracts. I am sorry, but I trust Mark Few to develop a player more than any coach in the G league because player development has been his primary job ever since he signed on as an assistant at GU. The guy is a teacher of the game. I hate the G League. If you wanna ditch college, go into the draft or play in Europe.
              Last edited by CDC84; 05-06-2020, 10:55 PM.

Comment

• Malastein
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

There should be relegation in basketball. Things would be much more interesting in the NBA if losing meant you went to an under league. There’s no way Philadelphia unleashes tankapalooza for 5 years. Seattle would also get a team, and a few East coast teams might have to go down to the lower league.
                The only hope we have for a better future is to come together and do everything we possibly can in order to achieve a sustainable existence. Everything else is folly of a broken foundation.

Comment

• CDC84
                  Super Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

That's an interesting idea Mal.

I just don't feel players develop when winning and losing loses significance. There is zero need to wanna get better. To become a winner. And so much of being a winner in basketball is about team cooperation. Look I know a lot of folks would love the NBA to create a minor league system like Major League Baseball, but baseball was the game I played all the way thru high school year round, and it is really an individual sport between the batter and hitter. I know thru the ABQ Isotopes that fans don't like their players being called up in September, but it assists in player development. In basketball, in damages or slows player development. The sport is so cooperative. Playing in games that matter is so important to making guys better.

Comment

• North Idaho Zag
                    Bulldog Fan
                    • Nov 2013

I personaly have no problem with it.

My take has always been that collage basketball is simply the better game. While some top level players may decide to chase the payday, they won't improve the product that the NBA and it's spin-offs offer.

The collage game won't suffer from this. Just look at how many multiple year collegiate players become top notch players and fan favorites. They want to be in school and/or weren't the anointed one out of high school. I like watching newcomers proceed from the bench to starters later in their career.

I for one would much rather have a game filled with these players than the others. Let the one-and-doners go their own way and I think the collage game improves.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Malastein View Post
                      There should be relegation in basketball. Things would be much more interesting in the NBA if losing meant you went to an under league. There’s no way Philadelphia unleashes tankapalooza for 5 years. Seattle would also get a team, and a few East coast teams might have to go down to the lower league.
                      By all means... relegate my Knicks... Maybe it will finally make Little Prince Jimmy Dolan sell the team.
                      "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• kitzbuel
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Malastein View Post
                        Tell you what, Mal. The more I watch European soccer, the more of a fan of relegation I become. It definitely deters owner complacency. Top level teams can never overlook a bottom-feeder because the bottom-feeders are fighting for their lives every single game.
                        'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                        - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• webspinnre
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

I love promotion/relegation, but there's no way US owners would ever approve that. They wouldn't be willing to risk losing major revenue by being relegated. E-sports tried to do something like this and went to franchising instead of promotion/relegation.
                          I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• EEzag
                            Kennel Club Alum
                            • Aug 2007

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
                            I hate the G League too. I would much prefer a solution like this. Why? People disagree with me, but I stand by my position.

1) The entire goal of the G league is to GET OUT OF IT. Meanwhile, you have basketball, the most cooperative sport that there is. 7 things often have to occur for LeBron to get a one second look at a jumper. Who wants to spend their time setting screens in the G league. It's not going to get you into the NBA.

2) I have been to several G League games. Small crowds and local area people who have zero emotional investment in their team because their players can be taken away from them at any time. There is no chance for fans to development a player/fan relationship.

3) Because players are being brought up and down, there is zero emotional impact when it comes to winning and losing basketball games. Winning a championships means nothing. Not when the team's center can be called up before a big game. Players playing in big games in front of large audiences in front of fans whose emotional investment in their players and teams is HUGE is the single most underrated developmental aspect in the game of basketball. When you lose a key game, you SHOULD feel miserable. Feeling miserable makes players want to be better players so they do not have to feel that way feel again. Losing sucks.

This is my most controversial take, but I will stand by it until the day I perish. I guarantee you that Mark Few, Bob McKillop, Tom Izzo, and Randy Bennett are better basketball coaches than anyone who coaches in the G League. I don't care what anyone says. Why? Most of their college players are not pros, and their ability to be teachers of the game is so much more refined and developed due to it. They MUST develop players or they lose their job. Most G League coaches are former NBA staffers who used to only care about preparing for the next game. They have to change their orientation more towards teaching the game than preparing for games. They lack experience. The point of the G league should be to develop players, and that includes keeping teams intact through an entire season so that winning games MATTERS. I have known a couple of NBA players, when asking an assistant for help on their jumper, were told: "Hire someone, this isn't remedial school. I have game tape to look at it." Both men had million+ contracts. I am sorry, but I trust Mark Few to develop a player more than any coach in the G league because player development has been his primary job ever since he signed on as an assistant at GU. The guy is a teacher of the game. I hate the G League. If you wanna ditch college, go into the draft or play in Europe.
                            There was a time when high school basketball was considered supremely more well coached than AAU. It still is to some extent, but which structure gets the press and the fanfare when it comes to these kids? It’s AAU by a mile. I don’t believe GL is better coached, but when it comes to one and done talent, it doesn’t seem as significant. That’s what we are talking about right? Guys who would have the kind of talent to go straight to the NBA but CANNOT because they are not allowed to? GL sounds smells looks and feels like a college aged AAU. I don’t like it either, but it is inevitable.

Comment

• TheOtherGreatOne
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

AAU basketball lessens the importance of winning. It does not promote teamwork. It is all about who you can dunk on. Basketball fundamentals are non-existant. AAU basketball is why these kids come into college with an entrage of hangers on trying to make a quick buck off of these kids. In my opinion AAU basketball is ruining the game. Coach Few has mostly kept from this type of kid, and recruits kids who have actual basketball skills, that is why he continues to beat the big boys year after year, abd these other supposed great coaches have still not figured that out, and can't believe it when they loose to the Zags.

Comment

• WRHUradio
                                Kennel Club Material
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
                                AAU basketball lessens the importance of winning. It does not promote teamwork. It is all about who you can dunk on. Basketball fundamentals are non-existant. AAU basketball is why these kids come into college with an entrage of hangers on trying to make a quick buck off of these kids. In my opinion AAU basketball is ruining the game. Coach Few has mostly kept from this type of kid, and recruits kids who have actual basketball skills, that is why he continues to beat the big boys year after year, abd these other supposed great coaches have still not figured that out, and can't believe it when they loose to the Zags.
                                BINGO BINGO BINGO

I have hated the AAU thing for close to 20 years now.

What the AAU hype train has done is make the supposed Top 50, top 10 type talents be not as good and flawed compared to past generations.
                                Yes, they might be more athletically gifted, but they are NOT more skilled, and certainly have less idea about how to play really good 5 on 5 team basketball when all the talent is even all-around.

What also happens is the kids that are ranked very high when they are young, start to believe in that hype and not work and think they are all going to play in the NBA. They get passed by late bloomers or kids that outworked the kid that was ranked No. 20 in the class just 3 years earlier.

Another untold story is the ages of the kids. Many, many of the so-called Top 50-type elite talents are actually a year+ ahead of the grade they are actually in, usually this was on purpose when they were younger. Ie: Why be a top 100 player in your grade you actually belong to if you were just a student, when you can "reclassify" and drop down 1 year, and become a top 20 player in the class. This happens very often in Football especially.

Karl-Anthony Towns was on this plan, and then RETURNED to his original grade because they saw he was elite.

I get very annoyed at the whole "reclassifying" thing because many times the kids failed out of a grade, but reclassified is a PC way of saying he got left back. That 1 year difference is very huge. You think I wouldnt have loved to have been an 18 year old senior in HS picking up girls vs being 16 & 17 as a senior? And then competing in athletics against someone like that?

Seton Hall MBB today just got a commitment from a 20-year old freshman from the Congo via Canada. Different story of course since he is a foreign national so likely started school at a different academic level, but this kid is still OLDER than Joel Ayayi!! (this also shows just how extremely special Ayayi is as a person and player)

What Coach Few and co. have done, is IDENTIFY who is legit good, and who is NOT/overhyped/an easy target to be bought by shady programs/not a team player.
                                This in itself is a massive story.

We would all love to see what Coach Few's Class of 2020 Top 100 is and compare it to rivals.com etc. This would be fascinating reading.

Comment

Working...
                                X