Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2021 - Chet Holmgren

Quote Originally Posted by Zagnificent View Post
    I don't recall ever seeing a big with handles and moves like that. Wow.
    Bol Bol.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagnificent View Post
    I don't recall ever seeing a big with handles and moves like that. Wow.
    Anthony Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Spike#1 View Post
    ZD, you've been around the GU boards for a long time, certainly you can't compare what Olynyk was as a true freshman to what Holmgrem just showed on that video. Holmgrem is what, a junior in HS this year? No way that Olynyk ever had that kind of handle, even as when he left GU.

I'll concede your point. However, Olynyk grew up as a point guard and it wasn't until he grew an obscene amount late in high school did he become a center. Holmgren is special in his length along with handles. I just threw out Olynyk's name because I remember him being comfortable shooting from outside and moving with the ball.

I hear you. And for the record, I am a Olynyk fan, and my small opinion on his talent as a freshman should not take away from what he has pushed himself to become. I love Kelly!

In the early years, frosh & soph year, I remember Olynyk as a gangly, awkward player that had a lot of work to do on his coordination. In fact, his level of play, thus lack of playing time, is what had him considering transferring to a different school. It wasn't until he spent a year with Nilson & Knight catching marked tennis balls, that his true talent began to emerge. I remember a guy with lack of coordination, not sturdy on his feet often with a "deer in the headlights" look. That's not a knock on Kelly, it just was where he was at in his personal development. Heck, at that time, the kid had trouble keeping his hair in line with all those cowlicks. Yes, I know he was a "point guard" until the growth spurt. Yes, I know that he comes from a well established basketball family. But saying he had great handles, because he started out as a point guard at Kamloops BC, doesn't make the connection in my book. A behind the back dribble is certainly not even close to the same move that Holmgren put on Curry in that video. And again, we're talking about Olynyk as a freshman or sophomore vs Holmgren as a HS Junior.

As for me, I'd be lucky if I could even bounce a basketball.

ZD & LIZF, All good to both of you. No intent on my part for a wizzing match.

I couldn't really think of a big with great handles, my first thought was Luka Doncic, but he's only 6'7". Not really a big, so what the hell do I know...

Go Zags! The next 3 / 4 years are sure going to be exciting!

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    That isn't to say that Chet isn't more advanced at this point... just that one should not discount the handles Kelly has.
    meh. kelly was awesome and absolutely had that history and advanced handles. but he wasn't crossing over NBA-quality guards on a double behind-the-back dribble move. it's no shade on kelly to admit that we've never had a big who could pull that off at full speed before.

Guess few here have seen Timme dribble coast to coast... behind his back and though his legs.... and he's already a Zag... just saying...

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

I saw KO pull off a similar move in a scrimmage. And Chet didn't do it against NBA guards, he did it against NBA guard (singular). Chet may very well have better handles than KO did, but that'd be very high level skills. KO had PG skills and was projected as a small forward even with his size because of those skills. I'd need to see Chet play more, and unless that is the norm, rather than the exception, he isn't going to have the green light to be doing those moves in college anymore than KO did.

Spike has it correct-- Kelly was a guard who grew 7 inches as a junior in high school and it took him until his junior year in college to put the full package on display with the help of Nilson/Knight (after he added a couple more inches at Gonzaga).

Chet is a different beast---he is doing this as a to be junior in high school and he has been very tall for a while-- he was 6'4"in 8th grade and had added 7-8 inches since then ---- the Klynk can also help Chet in college and to get prepared for the league.

Would love for Chet to come to Gonzaga to play with Suggs (which would mean Suggs is a 2 year player for us).

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Spike has it correct-- Kelly was a guard who grew 7 inches as a junior in high school and it took him until his junior year in college to put the full package on display with the help of Nilson/Knight (after he added a couple more inches at Gonzaga).

Chet is a different beast---he is doing this as a to be junior in high school and he has been very tall for a while-- he was 6'4"in 8th grade and had added 7-8 inches since then ---- the Klynk can also help Chet in college and to get prepared for the league.

Would love for Chet to come to Gonzaga to play with Suggs (which would mean Suggs is a 2 year player for us).
    If we get Suggs it wont be for two years. The dude is a stud!!

If the Zags land Suggs... I think it gives them a serious shot at Chet

Crazy lineup would be:

Strawther, Suggs, Holmgren, Harris, and Timme.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    If we get Suggs it wont be for two years. The dude is a stud!!
    Unless he stays 2 years to play with Chet.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

If the Zags land Suggs... I think it gives them a serious shot at Chet

Crazy lineup would be:

Strawther, Suggs, Holmgren, Harris, and Timme.
    What if Ballo is still on that team ?

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
    What if Ballo is still on that team ?
    IMO Ballo is going to be the surprise of the season and “IF” he is still playing for GU, as he could go overseas or G-League after his frosh year, then he will be starting on this team...in fact, if he adjusts to the speed of D1 then he’ll have lots of PT this season and may just be the starting “5” at the end of the year...

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    That was what I was thinking... that he'd stay to play that one year with him.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

Quote Originally Posted by bigblahla View Post
    Guess few here have seen Timme dribble coast to coast... behind his back and though his legs.... and he's already a Zag... just saying...

Go!! Zags!!!
    Nailed it! Great call!

This would be a major surprise. The dream for these kids is usually to make millions in the NBA as soon as you can and get a year closer to your second contract. Not play a second season in college with a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan08 View Post
    This would be a major surprise. The dream for these kids is usually to make millions in the NBA as soon as you can and get a year closer to your second contract. Not play a second season in college with a friend.
    That and a chance to win a Natty. Look, I am realistic, Suggs is likely one and done even if he chooses the Zags. That said, there might be a slight pull for him to stay a second year if there is potential to win it all AND play with his friend.

These are still kids. Who knows the whats and why's that makes them do things? Common sense says if you want to get to the NBA, you go at the first opportunity...but common sense also says, don't play football.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Either way that would be fun, yet FWIW, Chet's interest in GU has nothing to do with Suggs.

Obviously, we watched Chet play while watching Jalen kinda by default, yet Chet has been intrigued by GU from the beginning...

Our big man program and lineage sells itself these days.

Would a Suggs commitment increase our chances? Maybe. Maybe not, yet both have independent interest in GU.

Case in point, its really the only school they share an interest in amongst a long list of suitors, besides Minnesota of course.

Chet is getting to the point he can choose any school of his liking, potential Top 5 recruit by the time 2021 rolls around.

Having one of your good friends at your potential future school does help -- but I agree they are both their own individual players.

Gonzaga with primary points for the Klynyk--big development and preparedness for the NBA.

Just need to get Chet here on a visit and our chances go way up-- would love it if Jalen was his host while he was on his campus visit.

The Curry highlight really gave Chet some extra shine ---- happy that Suggs earned the MVP of the Curry event.

Go Zags

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Having one of your good friends at your potential future school does help -- but I agree they are both their own individual players.

Gonzaga with primary points for the Klynyk--big development and preparedness for the NBA.

Just need to get Chet here on a visit and our chances go way up-- would love it if Jalen was his host while he was on his campus visit.

The Curry highlight really gave Chet some extra shine ---- happy that Suggs earned the MVP of the Curry event.

Go Zags
    Isn't Chet coming for Kazziness in the Kennel?

Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    Isn't Chet coming for Kazziness in the Kennel?
    believe you're thinking of walker kessler.

Quote Originally Posted by soccerdud View Post
    believe you're thinking of walker kessler.
    Think the plan is to have both. Can't remember where I saw Chet say he was looking at visiting that weekend but I think he is.