Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga 2019-2020 Basketball Schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    No Texas Longhorns?? I hear they are finally going to build a brand new, state of the art arena to replace the Frank Erwin Center.
    That works for me, CDC. If this were to occur, I'd organize an alumni event in Luckenbach, if that's possible. It's about an hour from Austin, but really close to Fredericksburg. There's about two dozen wineries near Fredericksburg, along SH 290.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    That works for me, CDC. If this were to occur, I'd organize an alumni event in Luckenbach, if that's possible. It's about an hour from Austin, but really close to Fredericksburg. There's about two dozen wineries near Fredericksburg, along SH 290.
    I actually wouldn't mind a neutral floor game at the Dallas Mavs arena vs. the Longhorns in order to give Drew Timme a home game. I guess his hometown is not too far from Dallas. I wish our staff would do this more for our players (if possible), but I also don't believe in taking it to the extreme like Roy Williams where you play road games against crappy or mediocre teams. He got stung once when he scheduled a home game for Marcus Paige at Northern Iowa. Problem is, Paige got hurt and couldn't play. UNC ended up getting beat. I think you need to make sure the opponent is a good one.

But again, the problem with next season is we probably have too many road and neutral games. The team is going to be awfully young. Maybe in 2020.
    Last edited by CDC84; 04-22-2019 at 08:56 AM.

I actually wouldn't mind a neutral floor game at the Dallas Mavs arena vs. the Longhorns in order to give Drew Timme a home game. I guess his hometown is not too far from Dallas. I wish our staff would do this more for our players, but I also don't believe in taking it to the extreme like Roy Williams where you play road games against crappy or mediocre teams. He got stung once when he scheduled a home game for Marcus Paige at Northern Iowa. Problem is, Paige got hurt and couldn't play. UNC ended up getting beat. I think you need to make sure the opponent is a good one. Few and Smart seem to have a good rapport, but they aren't super close buddies like Few is with a guy like Leon Rice. Few HATES playing against close friends in the coaching biz.

But again, the problem with next season is we probably have too many road and neutral games. The team is going to be awfully young. Maybe in 2020.
    Drew lives in Richardson, about a 15-20 minute drive to the AAC.

Personally, I prefer a true road game, whether it be TCU, SMU, etc. I get the feeling coaches in general prefer a neutral floor, although for all intents and purposes a game at the AAC would be seen as crowd that favors the Texas team.

O/T, I thought Creighton was going to be a more highly valued home and home. They stumbled after they played us, and I'm surprised that they lost more home games. The Omaha crowd that we saw was lively and loud, and brought in the 5th highest attendance in their history: 18,000+.

To their credit, they had very respectable crowds during the NIT games they hosted, unlike Texas. I'll bet concessionaires in Austin experienced a flood of red ink, due to the embarrassingly sparse attendance.

ETA: At the risk of overstatement, I think Drew's signing is a watershed moment for recruiting in Texas. Sure, we had Meech and Jeremy, but that was Houston/South Texas. North Texas is approaching 7 million in population, and there's a lot of talent here. Of course, you could say that about nearly everywhere...it's about getting the right kind of student-athlete, and the staff does an exceptional job of that.

Agree with you TZF. Texas and Chicago seem to be areas they are focusing on more and more for recruits in addition to the PNW and CA.

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    Agree with you TZF. Texas and Chicago seem to be areas they are focusing on more and more for recruits in addition to the PNW and CA.
    Obviously, the Zags have gone beyond finding "diamonds in the rough". All I know is what I've seen: most of the players, beginning at age 8-9, are receiving individual coaching and participating in YMCA/rec leagues almost year round. My son benefited greatly from the Zag camp he attended in 2017, after his freshman year. Alas, it wasn't enough, though he was one of the last cuts for the JV team...80 boys tried out for 20 spots (two teams).

He's still playing in rec leagues, and wants to give it one final go next year, despite the odds. It's quite remarkable, with the number of gyms/complexes that have opened recently. Other indoor training facilities for cheerleading, baseball, drill teams, etc. have shown explosive growth. Seems like everyone's looking for an edge nowadays.

My grandson, Big D, will be going to camp in Spokane next summer...too much going on, with his other uncle getting married in September, and he's playing select baseball, a huge time commitment.

The only way I see Gonzaga playing a regular season game at Spokane Arena or the renovated Key Arena is if it's Kentucky or something like that. Again, when GU plays a home game at K2, they make way, way, way, way more money than renting a city owned arena and getting none of the concession money. It comes down to dollars and cents.
    If they didn’t make it part of the season ticket package and sold the seats for what the market would bare (which for a good opponent would be much higher than the token amount they charge for tickets) I could see it being a big benefit financially. Sure, it would piss off the season ticket holders but they’ve been increasing required donation levels and watering down the home non conference schedule for years and that hasn’t seemed to hurt attendance.

I think Spokane hosts NCAA tournament games next year. This should mean we will see a game there to get a feel for the arena’s court. It could be problematic on whether we actually get seeded there in a rebuilding year, but I’d schedule a game there anyway just in case.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Quote Originally Posted by 509er View Post
    If they didn’t make it part of the season ticket package and sold the seats for what the market would bare (which for a good opponent would be much higher than the token amount they charge for tickets) I could see it being a big benefit financially. Sure, it would piss off the season ticket holders but they’ve been increasing required donation levels and watering down the home non conference schedule for years and that hasn’t seemed to hurt attendance.
    So what you’re proposing is to piss off 4800 season ticket holders/boosters for a one time game that “might” produce a shot of revenue? Hard pass.

Default Eastern Washington game is tentatively scheduled for Dec. 21,2019

"For the first time in eight years, the Eastern Washington men’s basketball team will face national power Gonzaga. The EWU athletic department confirmed Saturday that the Eagles will face the Bulldogs at the McCarthey Athletic Center during the 2019-2020 season. The game is tentatively scheduled for Dec. 21."

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...ume-series-af/
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

That's nice to see. EWU has to play "x" amount of guarantee games every season. Playing at GU, just a few miles down the road, is a hell of a lot better than playing at UConn.

Quote Originally Posted by Norwester View Post
    So what you’re proposing is to piss off 4800 season ticket holders/boosters for a one time game that “might” produce a shot of revenue? Hard pass.
    Not really proposing that just pointing out how GU could play at the arena and make more money than they’d make at K2 if they wanted to. I also know a lot of season ticket holders who have been frustrated by the increase in donation levels and a non conference schedule full of Denvers and Lower Mississippi Bible College type teams but they continue to buy season tickets just like they’d do if they had a game at the arena and charged them more for that ticket.

For the record, the Arena blows for basketball vs K2.

Quote Originally Posted by Norwester View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 509er View Post
    Not really proposing that just pointing out how GU could play at the arena and make more money than they’d make at K2 if they wanted to. I also know a lot of season ticket holders who have been frustrated by the increase in donation levels and a non conference schedule full of Denvers and Lower Mississippi Bible College type teams but they continue to buy season tickets just like they’d do if they had a game at the arena and charged them more for that ticket.

For the record, the Arena blows for basketball vs K2.
    I haven't seen the Zags play live in any venue.

While I do understand not wanting to piss off the 4800 season ticket holders, how about the (estimated) 100,000+ that can't afford to join the bulldog club and don't have access to a friend with tickets? Is it OK to piss them off?
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by SLOZag View Post
    "For the first time in eight years, the Eastern Washington men’s basketball team will face national power Gonzaga. The EWU athletic department confirmed Saturday that the Eagles will face the Bulldogs at the McCarthey Athletic Center during the 2019-2020 season. The game is tentatively scheduled for Dec. 21."

Hooray.....great news.....makes perfect sense...

That's nice to see. EWU has to play "x" amount of guarantee games every season. Playing at GU, just a few miles down the road, is a hell of a lot better than playing at UConn.
    The article doesn't mention anything beyond this one game. I wonder if it will continue?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Tex. There is such a place ie Lukenbach. Like with Waylon. Willie and the boys???

Why don't we play them EVERY year?

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    I haven't seen the Zags play live in any venue.

While I do understand not wanting to piss off the 4800 season ticket holders, how about the (estimated) 100,000+ that can't afford to join the bulldog club and don't have access to a friend with tickets? Is it OK to piss them off?
    As someone who was lucky enough to see many games at the Kennel, I always believed that the Zags were "so" supported by the community that they did have an obligation to play one game in the arena a year. I believe that strongly enough that if it had to be the BIS they give up to do it, so be it.

I don't think it should necessarily be a "marquee" game, not UNC or Kentucky, in part bc you'd never want to give up the Kennel advantage. But, no reason to not do a mid-level Pac, MW, or even Univ of Montana wouldn't be a bad game.

I think it's pretty important.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Tex. There is such a place ie Lukenbach. Like with Waylon. Willie and the boys???
    Yup, I've been there and have a t-shirt as proof it exists. A very quirky place, population 3. It's a rustic venue with plenty of parking for events on the weekend.

Fredericksburg is close by, a great place to visit. My wife and I love it: she, for the many quaint shops; me, for the 4-5 wine bars plus a couple of German restaurants. There's an excellent museum, The National Museum of the Pacific War, near the birthplace of Admiral Chester Nimitz.
    http://www.pacificwarmuseum.org/

I love the Hill Country. Would like to relocate there, but our kids and Big D are here in North Texas.

Way O/T, they're still putting up new buildings in the area that offered you the job two years ago. It's probably at 50% completed, and the traffic is already unbearable. There's another elementary school under construction, across the street from where we live. It was so nice having a 25 acre open lot, for peace and quiet...no more. We've got another five years to live here before we sell and move out.

I've got to contact Bob Finn: great opportunity with the A&M game next year for a combined event with the DFW, Houston, and Austin alumni chapters. He did a great job with the SMU game a few years ago, and College Station is centrally located.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Drew lives in Richardson, about a 15-20 minute drive to the AAC.

Personally, I prefer a true road game, whether it be TCU, SMU, etc. I get the feeling coaches in general prefer a neutral floor, although for all intents and purposes a game at the AAC would be seen as crowd that favors the Texas team.

O/T, I thought Creighton was going to be a more highly valued home and home. They stumbled after they played us, and I'm surprised that they lost more home games. The Omaha crowd that we saw was lively and loud, and brought in the 5th highest attendance in their history: 18,000+.

To their credit, they had very respectable crowds during the NIT games they hosted, unlike Texas. I'll bet concessionaires in Austin experienced a flood of red ink, due to the embarrassingly sparse attendance.

ETA: At the risk of overstatement, I think Drew's signing is a watershed moment for recruiting in Texas. Sure, we had Meech and Jeremy, but that was Houston/South Texas. North Texas is approaching 7 million in population, and there's a lot of talent here. Of course, you could say that about nearly everywhere...it's about getting the right kind of student-athlete, and the staff does an exceptional job of that.
    There are some talent scouts in Texas who feel Drew is flat out the best big man in the state. That he's better than Will Baker....the center that the Longhorns signed that Gonzaga was recruiting for a period. Drew is considered a ***** prospect at rivals.com

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospec...rew-timme-9785

3 of the 4 teams who participated in the 2019 final four - Michigan State, Texas Tech and Virginia - all offered Drew. As did Arizona, Florida, Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas State, Louisville, OU, OK State, TCU, Texas A&M, Virginia Tech, Vandy, you name it. Texas is a talent rich state and one that I hope Gonzaga continues to mine

Ravet gets early test when Zags face UNC.....Cole Anthony PG No.2 prospect in class just signed w UNC

at least he won’t have to face Colby White entered draft

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Ravet gets early test when Zags face UNC.....Cole Anthony PG No.2 prospect in class just signed w UNC

at least he won’t have to face Colby White entered draft
    It will be interesting to see when that game will be played. Wouldn't shock me if it's played over Christmas break.

Yeah! I was worried about the UNC game in the Kennel. But I see that they are losing as much as the Zags are; so it's going to be a very interesting game to see who has the best Freshman class. I'm really glad Coby White is going pro, and the same about Johnson. Those were there two best players plus their center (I forgot his name,,,sorry).
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

I really do hope that the UNC game is scheduled while the students are on campus.

Pretty amazing that a team like that is coming to the Kennel for a true home and home. Again, I know that Roy W. is known for playing games at odd places in order to give his players hometown games, but's usually a 2 for 1 or 3 for 1 deal. This is a genuine home and home series. It's not being done to give anyone a hometown game. The Arizona and UCLA home and homers were inevitable because it just makes geographic sense. The GU/MSU home and home made sense because of Jud Heathcote. But this GU/UNC home and home series is truly a special series.

If Gonzaga can somehow convince Kansas to do a genuine home and home, that will mean that GU will have played all the blue bloods in a home and home arrangement where there is some question as whether the opposing coach would agree to such a thing. My worry is that Self would want to do a Spokane Arena/Sprint Center kind of deal, which I would still take in a heartbeat. Duke doesn't play genuine road games unless it's the Big 10/ACC Challenge or the St. John's game (if you can call MSG a genuine road game). Maybe UK would agree to play at the new Key Arena if GU returned the game to Rupp Arena. Calipari refused to play in K2 when he coached at Memphis. Part of the reason is that the Fed Ex Forum, like Rupp Arena, is an off campus venue.

Some folks might consider Villanova, Michigan, Louisville and others to be blue bloods....I am pretty sure GU could arrange home and homes with any of those teams.

Good! And I hope it is in the Spokane Arena - ‘new’ Kennel or not. The Arena seats 12K - twice McCarthey. Spokane fans of both GU & EWU would love to attend such a game and it would be a great payback for Spokane Zags fans to be able to see a Zags game who cannot, for whatever reason, get tickets to home GU games. I can get tickets to McCarthey so this is not something I’m touting for myself.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

No Way Zagger....that makes to much sense....never happen...