Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gonzaga 2019-2020 Basketball Schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    No Texas Longhorns?? I hear they are finally going to build a brand new, state of the art arena to replace the Frank Erwin Center.
    That works for me, CDC. If this were to occur, I'd organize an alumni event in Luckenbach, if that's possible. It's about an hour from Austin, but really close to Fredericksburg. There's about two dozen wineries near Fredericksburg, along SH 290.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    That works for me, CDC. If this were to occur, I'd organize an alumni event in Luckenbach, if that's possible. It's about an hour from Austin, but really close to Fredericksburg. There's about two dozen wineries near Fredericksburg, along SH 290.
    I actually wouldn't mind a neutral floor game at the Dallas Mavs arena vs. the Longhorns in order to give Drew Timme a home game. I guess his hometown is not too far from Dallas. I wish our staff would do this more for our players, but I also don't believe in taking it to the extreme like Roy Williams where you play road games against crappy or mediocre teams. He got stung once when he scheduled a home game for Marcus Paige at Northern Iowa. Problem is, Paige got hurt and couldn't play. UNC ended up getting beat. I think you need to make sure the opponent is a good one. Few and Smart seem to have a good rapport, but they aren't super close buddies like Few is with a guy like Leon Rice. Few HATES playing against close friends in the coaching biz.

But again, the problem with next season is we probably have too many road and neutral games. The team is going to be awfully young. Maybe in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    I actually wouldn't mind a neutral floor game at the Dallas Mavs arena vs. the Longhorns in order to give Drew Timme a home game. I guess his hometown is not too far from Dallas. I wish our staff would do this more for our players, but I also don't believe in taking it to the extreme like Roy Williams where you play road games against crappy or mediocre teams. He got stung once when he scheduled a home game for Marcus Paige at Northern Iowa. Problem is, Paige got hurt and couldn't play. UNC ended up getting beat. I think you need to make sure the opponent is a good one. Few and Smart seem to have a good rapport, but they aren't super close buddies like Few is with a guy like Leon Rice. Few HATES playing against close friends in the coaching biz.

But again, the problem with next season is we probably have too many road and neutral games. The team is going to be awfully young. Maybe in 2020.
    Drew lives in Richardson, about a 15-20 minute drive to the AAC.

Personally, I prefer a true road game, whether it be TCU, SMU, etc. I get the feeling coaches in general prefer a neutral floor, although for all intents and purposes a game at the AAC would be seen as crowd that favors the Texas team.

O/T, I thought Creighton was going to be a more highly valued home and home. They stumbled after they played us, and I'm surprised that they lost more home games. The Omaha crowd that we saw was lively and loud, and brought in the 5th highest attendance in their history: 18,000+.

To their credit, they had very respectable crowds during the NIT games they hosted, unlike Texas. I'll bet concessionaires in Austin experienced a flood of red ink, due to the embarrassingly sparse attendance.

ETA: At the risk of overstatement, I think Drew's signing is a watershed moment for recruiting in Texas. Sure, we had Meech and Jeremy, but that was Houston/South Texas. North Texas is approaching 7 million in population, and there's a lot of talent here. Of course, you could say that about nearly everywhere...it's about getting the right kind of student-athlete, and the staff does an exceptional job of that.

Agree with you TZF. Texas and Chicago seem to be areas they are focusing on more and more for recruits in addition to the PNW and CA.

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    Agree with you TZF. Texas and Chicago seem to be areas they are focusing on more and more for recruits in addition to the PNW and CA.
    Obviously, the Zags have gone beyond finding "diamonds in the rough". All I know is what I've seen: most of the players, beginning at age 8-9, are receiving individual coaching and participating in YMCA/rec leagues almost year round. My son benefited greatly from the Zag camp he attended in 2017, after his freshman year. Alas, it wasn't enough, though he was one of the last cuts for the JV team...80 boys tried out for 20 spots (two teams).

He's still playing in rec leagues, and wants to give it one final go next year, despite the odds. It's quite remarkable, with the number of gyms/complexes that have opened recently. Other indoor training facilities for cheerleading, baseball, drill teams, etc. have shown explosive growth. Seems like everyone's looking for an edge nowadays.

My grandson, Big D, will be going to camp in Spokane next summer...too much going on, with his other uncle getting married in September, and he's playing select baseball, a huge time commitment.