Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Donny stepping away from Gonzaga

Quote Originally Posted by Schmitty View Post
    Brandon Roy anyone?
    I know we all like the concept of using the opportunity for Zags, but this is not a bad idea in my opinion. Few has always benefited from bringing in outside DNA (Giacoletti, Donny), and Roy potentially has access to different recruiting bases.

I like the idea of Few promoting the careers of former Zags with other teams and at the same time bringing in outside talent to keep the group think fresh.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Brandon Roy anyone?
    Not sure if you have any inside info, but from what i recall Broy was coaching HS or AAU and his program was very successful. I will say this:

I have met through work many NBA stars, college stars and everything in between, and Brandon Roy is up there in terms of classiest, kindest, athletes i have ever come in contact with. He takes time for others and it did not surprise me one bit when i had read that he was having success as a coach. As a player people forget how good he was. IMO a hall of famer if not for the injuries.

Best of luck Donny! Thank you for the great impact you had on this program over the last 9 years.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Thank you Donny -- class act that will be hard to follow. Enjoy your "dialing down" -- Cheers!!
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Has Few reached out to any guboards members to gauge their interest in replacing coach D? Seems a shame to waste all this internet knowledge here.

Quote Originally Posted by gonstu View Post
    Has Few reached out to any guboards members to gauge their interest in replacing coach D? Seems a shame to waste all this internet knowledge here.
    The search for mikeness has not borne any fruit. That guy had ALL the answers. Nobody has come close since
    "The thing that doesn't get talked about enough with Gonzaga is that they play for each other ... You can see it in everything they do, the way they celebrate for each other's baskets, the way they talk to each other on the floor, the way they come in and out on timeouts, the way they huddle. That for me is the most impressive thing. They've got an unbelievable amount of talent, but man do they play for each other, more than a lot of people." USD HC Sam Scholl

Brandon Roy anyone?
    Have been informed (quite emphatically) that there is zero chance of this happening. But I still like the way you think.
    "The thing that doesn't get talked about enough with Gonzaga is that they play for each other ... You can see it in everything they do, the way they celebrate for each other's baskets, the way they talk to each other on the floor, the way they come in and out on timeouts, the way they huddle. That for me is the most impressive thing. They've got an unbelievable amount of talent, but man do they play for each other, more than a lot of people." USD HC Sam Scholl

Guessing we hire someone to replace the diversity that Daniels brought. I am sure that would be important to potential recruits.

Thank you Donny!
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    But I still like the way you think.

I do too. Think the Zags were his #2 choice out of HS. That would be a coup.

And apologies for derailing a thread about Donny, but I immediately wondered if perhaps Few, with his own timetable for retirement in mind might give Tommy " A LOT" of input into this matter?
    This ain't rocket surgery!

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post

And apologies for derailing a thread about Donny
    Good point and I agree. One of my biggest pet peeves re guboards is when a "Welcome to Gonzaga" thread for a new commit/signee deteriorates into
    the bashing of a current player. Drives me nuts ... and I am sorry I wasn't thinking about Donny (just the future).

Donny Daniels has been GREAT for Gonzaga ... and I can't thank him enough. He holds a place of honor and dignity among GU lore. At least that's my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyZag View Post
    Guessing we hire someone to replace the diversity that Daniels brought. I am sure that would be important to potential recruits.
    Absolutely critical.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Good point and I agree. One of my biggest pet peeves re guboards is when a "Welcome to Gonzaga" thread for a new commit/signee deteriorates into
    the bashing of a current player. Drives me nuts ... and I am sorry I wasn't thinking about Donny (just the future).

Donny Daniels has been GREAT for Gonzaga ... and I can't thank him enough. He holds a place of honor and dignity among GU lore. At least that's my opinion.
    When you think of guys that represent Gonzaga in a real exuberant way and upbeat way and shows no matter where they go they bring that Spokane love with them I quickly think of a few guys. Donny and Ronny top my list, though I haven’t really been behind the scenes as much as some BUT, we know there’s a bunch of selfless guys that have come through this program and done nothing but help this team not for their own good but for the university. Guys like Jeremy Jones come to mind when I think of it this way. Soooo many great guys, El Voice of course (RIP) and I could go on for days about a ton of different players/coaches, but we all know the stories. It’s just amazing...

But Donny is the man. So humble, brilliant and near perfect. A huge loss for us indeed
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Good luck and many thanks for your time with us.

Killian Tillie just tweeted this :
    Donny D! You will be missed ! ���� https://t.co/hh8iiZuI6Z
    I'm reading too much into this, but Tillie could only miss Daniels if he's returning for his senior year, right?

Quote Originally Posted by VinnyZag View Post
    Killian Tillie just tweeted this :

I'm reading too much into this, but Tillie could only miss Daniels if he's returning for his senior year, right?
    haha i took it as the same but i think we are way overanalyzing this.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    haha i took it as the same but i think we are way overanalyzing this.
    maybe.....but can’t take a fellas hope away..might be all he’s got!