Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Perkins playing in the Portsmouth Invitational this week

Default Perkins playing in the Portsmouth Invitational this week

Here is a link to the main page about the invitational. It appears Josh's first game is Wednesday evening (4:00 pm our time).

https://www.portsmouthinvitational.com/
    Last edited by Radbooks; 04-15-2019 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Fix error!
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Isn't that game Wednesday rather than tomorrow?

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Isn't that game Wednesday rather than tomorrow?
    Yes, it is! Thanks.
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

It would be just so amazing if he cleaned up!! I hope he does!
    Last edited by MDABE80; 04-16-2019 at 01:54 AM.

Good Luck Josh.
    This ain't rocket surgery!

Love Josh Perkins but he just does not have the athleticism to play PG in the league I'm afraid....of course Mickey McConell (sp?...76'ers) and Dellavedeva (sp?) aren't exactly uber athletes and they've found a niche so what do I know.

Best of luck Josh Perkins..have some fun and ball out!
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Love Josh Perkins but he just does not have the athleticism to play PG in the league I'm afraid....of course Mickey McConell (sp?...76'ers) and Dellavedeva (sp?) aren't exactly uber athletes and they've found a niche so what do I know.

He can pass and he can shoot, so he's got a chance. Either way, if he wants to play professionally, he'll make plenty of money, whether here or abroad.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Why do they have Josh listed as a forward?
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

100% of 2018 Portsmouth invitees are playing pro ball somewhere in the world.

I expect Josh to be such a passionate lifelong ambassador for the program. I wouldn't be surprised to see him live in Spokane and be involved in the university, hoopfest, or local basketball at some point.

If/When GU wins a title, I expect JP will be crying well deserved tears of joy. If/When next year's PG woes cost us some games, I expect fans will be crying tears of sorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post

Neither did Stockton. Father or son.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    According to some on this very board, the son had no right sniffing an NBA court. Yet he did. Didn't stick around, but he did play in legit NBA games.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    According to some on this very board, the son had no right sniffing an NBA court. Yet he did. Didn't stick around, but he did play in legit NBA games.
    Only because of his dad, though....

'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

John did. By a far margin. David may not have had his dads gifts, he could dunk quite convincingly and was adequately speedy . Big thing with David was that he knew how to play the game. Just too small.
    Sorry about the first post I edited. My phone is a small one and without glasses , they look fine...…. Then, seeing them on the big screen, they make no sense. I know it. Apologies.
    Last edited by MDABE80; 04-16-2019 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Only because of his dad, though....

I think that David earned his opportunity to play in the NBA. His numbers in the development leagues were very good and he plays a position (PG) that is lacking true guys at most levels.

John was an elite athlete. He was always one of quickest PG in the league.

John has tremendous quickness, a quality without which he simply would not have made it as a pro, as well as superb natural endurance—he once ran an eight-mile race in about 42 minutes without training. His peripheral vision and his hands—"Cousy-sized hands," says Hundley—are ideal for a point guard.
    https://www.si.com/vault/1988/04/25/...id-defense-too
    ----
    Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

Quote Originally Posted by titopoet View Post
    John was an elite athlete. He was always one of quickest PG in the league.

https://www.si.com/vault/1988/04/25/...id-defense-too
    As a kid, I went to a few of the Stockton camps. John Stockton would make an appearance for at least a day of camp.

The speed at which he could perform ball-handling skills were stunning. The figure 8 drill and the one where you lay on your back and pass the ball between your legs as you alternate kick were absolute lighting.

If he hadn't made it in the NBA, we would of been a rich man as a magician (with a basketball).

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoilzag View Post
    As a kid, I went to a few of the Stockton camps. John Stockton would make an appearance for at least a day of camp.

The speed at which he could perform ball-handling skills were stunning. The figure 8 drill and the one where you lay on your back and pass the ball between your legs as you alternate kick were absolute lighting.

If he hadn't made it in the NBA, we would of been a rich man as a magician (with a basketball).
    The idea that Stockton isn't a superb athlete is nonsense. He's the closest thing Basketball had to Lionel Messi, at least up through the year 2000 or so.

Stockton's basketball IQ was off the charts....he passed the ball to Malone for about 16 years and made about 40 million bucks and got into the HOF......

I went to school with his dad and he was plenty smart too...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    I think that David earned his opportunity to play in the NBA. His numbers in the development leagues were very good and he plays a position (PG) that is lacking true guys at most levels.
    David was merely in the right place at the right time. There are a 100 better PGs out there that have not touched an NBA floor. David has been cut from every middling professional (non G league) team he has played for. First the NZ Breakers, then Zagreb, and once again this year by Medi Bayreuth of the German BBL. People around here can’t admit it but he just isn’t very good. bUt wAiT! hE mAdE tHe nBa!
    Well there are about 400+ guys out there in Europe and Asia that are better than the dregs of the NBA on 10 day emergency contracts. Stockton couldn’t hold Pangos’ or NWG’s jock.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo13 View Post
    David was merely in the right place at the right time. There are a 100 better PGs out there that have not touched an NBA floor. David has been cut from every middling professional (non G league) team he has played for. First the NZ Breakers, then Zagreb, and once again this year by Medi Bayreuth of the German BBL. People around here can’t admit it but he just isn’t very good. bUt wAiT! hE mAdE tHe nBa!
    Well there are about 400+ guys out there in Europe and Asia that are better than the dregs of the NBA on 10 day emergency contracts. Stockton couldn’t hold Pangos’ or NWG’s jock.
    I have to say, your post is ill informed at best.

David Stockton isn't very good? That is literally a ridiculous thing to write.

If you were to write he isn't as good as his Dad; or he isn't good enough to make a permanent NBA roster, etcetera... The dude has made his living playing basketball for a good long stretch now. People who actually make a living as a professional athlete, by definition, are pretty damn good.

You should know that in any given year, the odds of getting struck by lightning are quite a bit higher than the odds of getting a 10 day contract for an NBA team.

I think the general point is that the reason he got that contract is because he was available and currently in the G League. As the saying goes, "sometimes the best ability is availability".
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

While Pangos and NWG are much better guards, Stockton is a much quicker guard than either of them. His steal percentage, from his worst season, is as good or better than Pangos or NWG best seasons. And his best season doubles or triples up one of Pangos' seasons. He has one thing they don't have, which is NBA level quickness. If I'm taking one of them on an emergency NBA 10-day contract, I'd probably pick Stockton anyway, even if they were all available. At least he can match quickness. Second choice is NWG who has league size. And then there is Pangos who neither has the size or quickness.

If I'm building a team in Europe and need an every day starter, I'm taking NWG or Pangos. Both who are excellent as long as their matchup isn't an NBA freak athlete/size.

Geez, did this thread ever go off the rails....

In case anyone still cares about the posted topic at hand, here are live stats for Josh at Portsmouth in the game now under way: http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=261493

How did Perkins do in the game?
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!