View Poll Results: Which would you choose?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rui

8 10.00%
  • Brandon

44 55.00%
  • Grad Transfer Point Guard

28 35.00%

Thread: Which would you prefer

Default Which would you prefer

If Tillie comes back, and Ballo is added, there is room for one of Rui or Brandon...unless you want a Grad transfer guard.

This is making a presumption that Tillie comes back. I don't expect it, but of the three, he is most likely, in my opinion.

Which of the three would you prefer?
    Rui
    Brandon
    Grad transfer (PG)
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

I voted BC (though it kind of depends on who the guard is).

Thought I agree with the original poster that Rui and BC will both go pro and Tillie is a tossup.

BC is just such a fun, entertaining, dynamic player. I wish we had gotten to have him for another year or two. Even if he'd come here as a freshman who couldn't shoot and didn't know how to sink a free throw, it would have been been great and the anticipation of his redshirt year would have been all the better.

LOLLLLLLL People actually voted have a grad transfer than BC or Rui Back?? I can promise you that we won't be getting a first or second team AA as a grad transfer.. oh ya.. and that was in their junior years. If either came back, they would be seniors and first team AA's. Let's not have short term memory loss and forget how good both were.

I just posted that Ravet won't start.. hell.. if Brandon or Rui came back, throw in Ravet, throw in Foster, Ayayi, whoever.. there would be enough talent to make an Elite 8 or Final Four alone on the surplus of talent. Neither are returning, but if they did and the staff wanted a guard that badly, Foster or Ayayi get the Vilarino treatment

I’d take Clarke back in a New York millisecond. The second best player in CBB ??? Hell yea I take him
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    LOLLLLLLL People actually voted have a grad transfer than BC or Rui Back?? I can promise you that we won't be getting a first or second team AA as a grad transfer.. oh ya.. and that was in their junior years. If either came back, they would be seniors and first team AA's. Let's not have short term memory loss and forget how good both were.

I just posted that Ravet won't start.. hell.. if Brandon or Rui came back, throw in Ravet, throw in Foster, Ayayi, whoever.. there would be enough talent to make an Elite 8 or Final Four alone on the surplus of talent. Neither are returning, but if they did and the staff wanted a guard that badly, Foster or Ayayi get the Vilarino treatment
    I can’t speak for the other votes but I voted for the PG because I think the entire team is limited without a reliable floor general, regardless of how much talent is at 2-5.

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    I can’t speak for the other votes but I voted for the PG because I think the entire team is limited without a reliable floor general, regardless of how much talent is at 2-5.
    +1

Plus if Tillie comes back we already have enough front court talent and depth. We need another experienced guard who can run the point and hit some threes...

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    I, too, voted PG.

There are 7 to fill 3-5 w/o Brandon or Rui.

Floor time will be Corey, Anton and Martynas at the SF. Timme, Filip, Zakharov, Ballo, Anton (and Tillie) at the 4-5.

I love Clarke, but how do you fit in another big and then who distributes the ball to those bigs.

PG to run the team. Assuming a very very good one. A Nigel level guard.

If Tillie comes back he may be playing PG considering the number of bigs we have and his ability to shoot.

I kid.

None are coming back.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

So hard to vote when the premise seems so unrealistic.

I'd probably take Rui as I suspect next year's team could be starved for inside scoring from the 3/4, at least until Watson finds his sea legs. But who knows? As Dixie said, none are likely coming back.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by gueastcoast View Post
    So hard to vote when the premise seems so unrealistic.

I'd probably take Rui as I suspect next year's team could be starved for inside scoring from the 3/4, at least until Watson finds his sea legs. But who knows? As Dixie said, none are likely coming back.
    I originally posted this in the 'Zags and declaring for the draft' thread because there are those expressing these sentiments.

I believe that if your goal was to reach a job that will pay you a Million plus each year to say, once you have gotten there, "Thanks but I have this minimum wage job I want to complete first" is the true fantasy.

A first round choice, win or lose in the long term NBA game, is set for life, assuming smart choices are made.

It seems to me that when we're on course for another strong tournament appearance, admittedly losing our core, but also gaining a nationally-ranked recruiting class, and we're this doom-and-gloom about the 2019-2020 season, I hate to see what we're like when we have a few down years.

Although I expect Rui to leave for the draft, I'd love to see him in Spokane for one more year. The growth in his game over the past 3 years has been stupendous.

He was named Small Forward of the Year, though he never played the 3 last year. How crazy is that? He would tear up college basketball next year playing as a true small forward, as the 4 & 5 will be stacked like we've never experienced at GU.

To those who voted otherwise, I completely understand.

Maybe you should add Dom Harris reclassifying to 2019 to the poll. Not saying that is my answer but would be interesting to see how people feel about that option at least compared to the transfer.
    For me... BC.

I voted for BC for selfish reasons... he is too much fun to watch play and I would LOVE another year of him blocking anything and everything.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Without being able to consistently get the ball up the court, effectively execute entry passes, collapse the defense with dribble drives and stretch the defense with the threat of a three....Not even Kareem, Shaq and Anthony Davis will be enough.

And that's only the offensive side of the floor.

imo, bc had the best individual season of any zag since the run began last season. according to many stats (advanced and otherwise), he was one of the best college basketball players ANYWHERE in that time. i get it-- rui is the sentimental favorite and PG is the highest leverage position, given what the roster looks like right now. but bc would very likely be the best player in college next year, and that's tough to turn down. wonder how many of you woulda drafted bowie over jordan if you thought you needed a C.

Quote Originally Posted by soccerdud View Post
    wonder how many of you woulda drafted bowie over jordan if you thought you needed a C.
    That's what I thought too. It would be completely insane to take whoever-the-very-best-grad-transfer-pg-is over either one of those guys. Like Bob Knight told Stu Inman, "so, play Jordan at Center!"

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post

I voted for a grad transfer PG.

I cheated though because I still based my choice on neither Rui or Clarke returning. A PG for next season is a priority.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Love those two but they (and GU) go nowhere without a high-grade floor general

- I think the consensus of voting is where I land
    1. I'd take Clarke.......he is just so damn good and fun to watch play.
    2. but I think he is gone, and what we really need is a top notch point guard. and I disagree with one post, I think if we land that texas a and m guard who was out injured last year, he has potential to get some AA recognition. just saying potentially, if he were to improve upon his numbers from his last full season, which were might damn fine numbers!

I would choose Brandon Clarke. He's only been playing as a Zag for one year, and I know that playing one more year would help him a lot with his offense. He's already probably the best defensive player in college basketball but has a long ways to be one of the best offensively. He needs an outside shot, and some outside moves. He improved tremendously from the foul line; so I am thinking he could also improve his ability to shoot and score from the outside. If he could do that, I think he'd be much more valuable to an NBA team.

And like LIZF said, I'm not ready to let him go just yet. Losing Rui and Perk is plenty. Imagine the team we'd have if Brandon and Tillie return. And there would still be a scholarship available for a grad transfer guard.

Go Zags!!!

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

And how many of our "best recruit class ever" de-commit?