Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anton and Brock Playing in All-Star Game Tonight

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    I've said it before, but this post suggests it bears repeating. When Dickau came out of hs, he said that he was advised more than once that he should play at the mid major level due to his lack of athleticism/size. I saw him play his entire fr year at UW, every home game in person, and Ravet is very similar at the same age imo.
    Perhaps, but bigtime CBB has changed a whole lot since DD’s days.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    That's almost 20 years now. Are there any semi-current Ravet comparisons out there?

Who are the best "non-athletic" PGs in the last 1-4 seasons? (I don't mean athletic compared to the general population or even good high school athletes, but compared with the top 30 programs in D1 hoops - is there anyone in the mold of DD or (speculative) Ravet who has earned significant playing time recently? I know Cassius Winston at MSU can't dunk and is only 6'1", but I have no clue about him otherwise.

I didn't watch the game. Why? I have never been able to get an accurate assessment of any player besides Lebron James during a high school all star game.

The only thing that seems to make 100% sense to me is this. If you are the all-time leading high school scorer in the history of Washington state hoops, you are probably able to contribute in some capacity as a rotation player at Gonzaga at some juncture. I don't care what level the kid played at. There have just been too many great players roll thru this state over the years. But I still expect the staff to work hard as hell to land a high level grad transfer PG for the 2019/20 season.

When it comes to player development, I am not sure there is a better coaching staff in the nation at developing big guys than Gonzaga's. And they were great at it even before Donny arrived. What they did with Olynyk is unmatched. Ronny was an athlete and nothing else when he arrived at GU. Not sure the same can be said about guards. Obviously, Nigel improved during his redshirt year. He became a much better on ball defender. But you're also talking about a kid who was a McDonald's AA player to begin with. The staff, to some degree, were just shining a valuable stone. He didn't leave UW because he wasn't good. He just wanted to go to a place where he could win more. I think this is why the staff is aiming so high in the 2020 class when it comes to guards and wings. They want guys with a lot of natural talent. A kid to keep your eye on is five star Daishen Nix from Vegas. GU has a warm status with him. He is officially listed as a 6-5 PG, but he's really another combo guard like Suggs. I expect other names to emerge besides just Suggs, Nix and Strawther this spring and summer. And I still believe that people shouldn't be getting distraught because neither Suggs or Strawther committed to Gonzaga right after their official visit.

Wow, CDC rocking it with the Times New Roman!

It's actually Book Antiqua. Kind of like a new hairdo

First off, I did not watch the entire game. I watched mostlythe first half.

I think that in a Zags uni, Watson will learn to both hustle back on defense and to go after loose balls, even diving on the floor. That is what it takes to succeed at high MBB in the NCAA. He will learn that, in my opinion.

Several of the TO's that I saw Brock make seemed to be due to playing with players that don't know each other, a player breaking back towards him and he expected a break to the basket so the ball went high and OB, or trying to force it to another player. I feel that many of those errors will not be there when playing with the same group on a consistent basis.
    He will not need to be a prolific scorer, to start, but also needs to show that he can hurt if left open, not be afraid to take his shot. He sure didn't look that.

I expect great things out of both for the Zags. I also expect that, barring the transfer of a really high grade PG, Brock will start and share duties with Norvell.
    Last edited by willandi; 04-16-2019 at 05:52 AM.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

I really enjoyed this clip

Watch "Gonzaga commit Anton Watson with a #NWBanger at NWShootout" on YouTube
    https://youtu.be/7-94YrqkQI8

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    I suppose so, but what changes specifically do you mean, and what effect do you think they would have on the success of players like Dan or Brock?

And for clarity, I think Brock reaching Dan's level of success is a long shot, as it was for Dan; no one would have predicted it in 1998. Just saying there are similarities. And as someone mentioned in another thread, there's inside info that the coaches say he would have gotten minutes on the past season's team.

I watched the first half of the game and don't have anything new to add. I did like Ravet on offense. He shot the 3 effortlessly out to NBA-range and has a quick trigger. I don't think he'll have problems scoring. He also didn't look shy going to the hoop. Perkins was such a pass-first guy that teams dared him to drive and score, which is probably my biggest critique of Perkins' game. I don't think Ravet would have that problem if that floater falls with consistency. He does look slowish, like so many have said, but does appear to have good feel getting around screens and knowing what his guy wants to do/where his guy wants to go off the ball when trying to get open.

Watson looked really good. The game appears to come very easy for him in all facets. He is very fluid and he should continue what we are used to in his abilty to push the ball up the court a la Rui and Clarke. If he has a mid-range game he could be used very similarly to Rui. I do think he could get away with playing the 3.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Norvelle.
    still?

Quote Originally Posted by soccerdud View Post
    still?
    Sorry. Brain fart. I just had come home from PT.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!